Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:48 pm

I'm sure that all of us have suffered in having to do without various food/cooking/bbq'n items because of the Pandemic and the one item that I've missed the most was Owens Hot Pan Breakfast Sausage. I figgered that it was popular because of some bare shelves even before the Virus Junk but ever since last year I have had to do without almost completely.

Well the other day I got lucky and there was plenty so I grabbed some. This morning was the first that I'd had in a long time and I could not have been more pleased with the flavor of the Flat Breakfast Tortillas that it, once again, provided for me. I'm gonna find out how long I could keep some in the freezer with my consumption rate and I may start storing some just in case.
:whiteflag: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:13 pm

I love Owens Hot which isn’t really hot to me
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 pm

Parts I am a big fan of the sausage breakfast taco as well. Would advocate at some point trying the Opa’s hatch green chili sausage if you can get it. Super stuff. Out of New Braunfels. They also have a jalapeño cheddar version.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:52 am

Sausage egg and cheese tacos will definitely give you fuel for the day.

+1 to Boots recommendation on the Opa’s. Good stuff. I’d bet HEB has it. I’ve picked it up at Market Street and maybe Kroger around here.

As far as freezing - if it’s the kind in the round tube we’ve frozen that kind of sausage for a long time before. If it’s in the tray with the clear plastic cover just keep an eye on it and don’t let it get freezer burned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:13 am

I don't find it Hot either, Rambo - - "the Wiffy loves it too"

Thanks BOots, I'm very familiar with OPAS, especially the one in Fredericksburg. I used to stock up on Jerky there on the way to the Lease but the Sausage would be new to me.

'preciate it Sooner Sir, I'll certainly give some local meat cases the once over :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”