Lots of Folks Suffering

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Lots of Folks Suffering

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:45 am

Wow, we got power back on and I was watching the news. There are so many people that don’t have power and/or water. Now the big rigs can’t get to the stores to deliver groceries AND Gasoline and Diesel . Pipes broken. I had a customer call me last night to let me know the roof of his (nice) Shop building had caved in. Looking out this morning at my place is a War Zone with the broken limbs and I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t have some timber down on the back of the place. Maybe I can ride the side by side back there to check this afternoon but I’m not going under any limbs so it limits my routes. We don’t have water but we have power, currently, and food. Many hundreds of thousands are less fortunate and need help. Help a Neighbor if you can :texas:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Lots of Folks Suffering

Postby Boots » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 am

Yep, praying for everybody. My cousin in the Heights in Houston said no water and no power still last night. Temp had improved to 39 in her house but expected to drop again.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:50 am

Reading where neighbors are having a hard time finding gas in our immediate area. Grocery store shelves are bare too. Heck even chic fil a had to close down. Definitely going to take a bit to get the supply chain moving again.

My company attempted to open back up today just for those that felt like they could make it. Don’t think we have any takers so far. It’s more important for people to stay off the roads and with their families right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:11 am

bsooner75 wrote:Reading where neighbors are having a hard time finding gas in our immediate area. Grocery store shelves are bare too. Heck even chic fil a had to close down. Definitely going to take a bit to get the supply chain moving again.

My company attempted to open back up today just for those that felt like they could make it. Don’t think we have any takers so far. It’s more important for people to stay off the roads and with their families right now.

This morning is mostly hard ice here; broken limbs, big ones, everywhere
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 am

We have power at this time; yesterday morning when it was raining/ sleeting I caught 40 gallons of water coming off the eve of the barn. Busting ice out of troughs and ponds
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:20 am

Praying for all y'all in Texas dealing with those terrible conditions. :( This is just unbelievable.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:39 am

OkieGal wrote:Praying for all y'all in Texas dealing with those terrible conditions. :( This is just unbelievable.

Amen.
Moink!
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:45 am

My power has miraculously stayed on throughout - we're just down to no water and boil water if you can get it. Lots of frozen/busted pipes our way. The saddest thing nearby was a family trying to do laundry in the garage used a heating pad on the pipes - it shorted out. Set the garage on fire which coursed thru the attic. They got out with the clothes on their back. This was last Monday before the water supply went down. We donated as many clothing items we could think of. The poor mother didn't even have any shoes on while F/D fought the blaze.

As I read the continued reports and also assess my own preparations I can see some areas that need improvement. I won't be waiting around for the "next time" as this could become the new norm. Ready for things to be done. I really hate snow. :banghead:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

We've been blessed and have not lost Power throughout this whole mess and now we have water after almost 2 days without it. Thank God for the rain yesterday that gave me a chance to catch several gallons for the toilet and just general hand washing. Gonna take me a HOT SHOWER in a little while and see if I can get to the Pharmacy to pick up Sherry's prescription for sleep and pain. I might grab a couple of other items if things aren't too messed up in the store.

God Bless everyone and be Safe above all,
Emm/OUP :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am

Man my heart breaks for everyone suffering right now. We have been very blessed to stay up and running and let the kids enjoy this a little. I still try and show them some stuff on the news so they understand the devastating power of this storm.

TXSmokemastr - I agree on finding some gaps in the preparation. Even if it’s not snow next time. Spring storm season is right around the corner. Some things I want to get to prepare just in case we have issues with that. Mainly a decent generator

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Our prayers go out to everyone suffering because of the weather there.
Stay safe!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm

This is funny and NOT funny at the same time. I called my 88 year old MIL this morning. she and my 90 year old FIL were FREAKING Out because after breakfast this morning, they only had 6 Eggs left. There are none in Huntington and they couldn’t get there if there was. It’s about 12 miles from us and it would be treacherous for me to even attempt to get to them. Funny our differences in priorities
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm

I to have my power back, 50 hours total we were out, 44 straight. I have a gas fireplace that keeps most of the house warm. I turned it on at 6pm on Monday night, and turned it off at 3am this morning. I also always open up the attic door and get heat up into the attic, I find it to just be cheap insurance. And over the years I have a system put in place that gives my water system the best chance it can have to survive, which it did. All my Well surface equipment is in my garage, so i heat the garage with a propane heater. And with 3 or 4 20 pound tanks, and 3 40 pounders on the pit I always have plenty of propane here at the house.

I am disappointed that this has happened, we are better than this. We have to be.

And I also feel bad for the prople that the things were so much out of there control and have been less fortunate through all of this.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Yes Indeed, Cypress Pal, "WE ARE INDEED BETTER THAN THIS" and we need some questions answered and some things CHANGED AND CHANGED CORRECTLY" :whiteflag: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:24 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to my TX brethren. You folks were just not set up for a mess like this.

This has been a very cruel February all around.

Hang in there!
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D

Return to “General Discussion”