Power outage

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Power outage

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 pm

I was hoping I wasn’t going to have to go get it out of storage. But they hung us out just to long. Had no choice.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:01 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Dang y’all. Hang in there.

It’s been really cold and snowy but we’ve been blessed to maintain power and gas.

My in laws had to fire up the generator on their RV as well to run a few things. Good thinking G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a mix of freezing liquid rain and sleet that started about midnight Wednesday and lasted until 5 this afternoon. Pine limbs were popping like popcorn this morning: sounded like gunshots
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 pm

They gave us exactly 6 hours of power. Back out now.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:08 am

After 36+ hour of no power we have thus far been blessed with just over 12 hours uninterrupted. By the grace of God my hot water heater is flowing again.
Daughter went to check on my mother and stay the night as her power was out. Arrived, stepped out of the truck and smelled gas in the driveway. Mom is 83. When they tell you older folks can’t smell a gas leak, they mean it. Fortunately the heater is in a small laundry room and the gas was escaping through the dryer vent into the garage. If it had made it 10’ down the hall to the furnace.....well we know that outcome.
As has been stated, check on family, friends and neighbors.
The end is in sight but it’s still gonna be a haul to get there.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:39 am

We were out for most of 2 days. Has been back on for over 20 hours! Amen. Survived with my redneck skills & our fireplace. That is a smoked pork butt with Hog Waller taken out of the freezer. Can’t beat it.
50054083-D8BA-4602-9A93-5B0D91EE850F.jpeg
50054083-D8BA-4602-9A93-5B0D91EE850F.jpeg
Attachments
A77904C9-55EC-41B2-BF6D-2B313F751433.jpeg
58AA1452-23AA-4CC4-8B1C-0CF4BD403ED1.jpeg
EF44DB37-DB4B-41BF-BBCB-B35FF6F6D894.jpeg
Bockbock
Dillo Q
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:40 am

GTR - so glad to your daughter got there to check on your Mom in time. That is very scary

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am

Bock git’r dun on the wood burning fireplace! That is about the only thing I preferred in our last house over the new one. I asked for wood burning fireplace here but the builder does not do them. So I flip a switch - while convenient, it definitely eliminates my ability to do cool stuff like that.

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:22 pm

bsooner75 wrote:GTR - so glad to your daughter got there to check on your Mom in time. That is very scary

It shook me pretty good. Had spoke with mom earlier in the day. Water and power were and had been on all along.
The truly scary part is my cousin in Sulpher Springs husband slipped, fell and hit his head. Came in told her, sat down and got violently sick. Got to the hospital, went into a coma and passed the Wednesday afternoon.
Mom is 83, make that an independent headstrong 83, so has no intention of selling out and living with my sister or myself. So between sister, daughter and I we check in daily. Luckily my daughter is no more than 10 minutes away. But 10 minutes is still 10 minutes.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm

GTR wrote:After 36+ hour of no power we have thus far been blessed with just over 12 hours uninterrupted. By the grace of God my hot water heater is flowing again.
Daughter went to check on my mother and stay the night as her power was out. Arrived, stepped out of the truck and smelled gas in the driveway. Mom is 83. When they tell you older folks can’t smell a gas leak, they mean it. Fortunately the heater is in a small laundry room and the gas was escaping through the dryer vent into the garage. If it had made it 10’ down the hall to the furnace.....well we know that outcome.
As has been stated, check on family, friends and neighbors.
The end is in sight but it’s still gonna be a haul to get there.
That was just plain luck but very scary. Glad it went well.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:42 pm

Out of 72 hours we were with no power for 60, and then lost the city water too, Had to sleep in my recliner for 3 nights with my dogs to keep them from becoming popsicles. Bit we are finally feeling a little more secure about the situation. THe acronym ercot will go down in history as a bigger circus the Ringling Brothers.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:03 pm

cowboydon wrote:Out of 72 hours we were with no power for 60, and then lost the city water too, Had to sleep in my recliner for 3 nights with my dogs to keep them from becoming popsicles. Bit we are finally feeling a little more secure about the situation. THe acronym ercot will go down in history as a bigger circus the Ringling Brothers.
I read many people are getting insane powerbills. Despite the power outage.Read that one person got a 450 usd bill for one day power use from a company called Giddy.

Is this true?

Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Norway Joe wrote:
cowboydon wrote:Out of 72 hours we were with no power for 60, and then lost the city water too, Had to sleep in my recliner for 3 nights with my dogs to keep them from becoming popsicles. Bit we are finally feeling a little more secure about the situation. THe acronym ercot will go down in history as a bigger circus the Ringling Brothers.
I read many people are getting insane powerbills. Despite the power outage.Read that one person got a 450 usd bill for one day power use from a company called Giddy.

Is this true?

All I can say for sure is Giddy is a wholesale provider with a monthly subscription. They claim to bill at their price for power. So their monthly subscription price is their income. But after Governor Abbot lit a fire under URCOT’s back side things improved greatly. If Giddy is indeed gauging look for serious repercussions. When Abbot sinks his teeth in something he generally gets his way.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:13 pm

So thankful for the happy ending GTR, what a Blessing
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:19 pm

Rambo wrote:So thankful for the happy ending GTR, what a Blessing

Thank Rambo.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:53 pm

Thoughts and Prayers for your Mom and the Family, GTR - - - may God be with Y'all :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”