2 millions without power.

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

OkieGal
Rustler

Re: 2 millions without power.

Postby OkieGal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:I remember Sandy. Two weeks without power, and it was cold even for us. We did not have a generator then but we do now.

We actually cooked a potato on the gas rig, and held it all day and it kept us reasonably warm. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

You held the potato all day and it kept you warm? Or am I misreading? I have never heard of that, very interesting! :D
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 am

OkieGal wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:I remember Sandy. Two weeks without power, and it was cold even for us. We did not have a generator then but we do now.

We actually cooked a potato on the gas rig, and held it all day and it kept us reasonably warm. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

You held the potato all day and it kept you warm? Or am I misreading? I have never heard of that, very interesting! :D

Those were desperate times but it is true! The Proffesor and I traded the potato back and forth. We ate it the next day.
Moink!
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:35 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
OkieGal wrote:

Those were desperate times but it is true! The Proffesor and I traded the potato back and forth. We ate it the next day.

LOL The hand warmer that keeps on giving! You can't ask for more than that. :lol:
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:54 pm

OUP: We have a DuroMax XP4400E Generator (4400 W) and just manually plug in what we need. (Here it is on Amazon: DuroMax XP4400E)
In a dire emergency, I could temporarily wire it into our oil burner. I last used it for the first time this past summer when we lost power for a couple of days and needed to rebuild the carburetor (with my neighbor's help). For a whole-house generator and proper installation (using a transfer switch) you'll pay 10X-20X the amount of this little stand-alone unit.

It's a good thing you don't have oil heat there. At those temperatures the oil in above-ground tanks & pipes turns to sludge and won't pump without an additive to lower it's viscosity.

Strength_and_Pow: An alternative to a UPS you might want to look into, for low-power devices, is a lithium battery power station. This is the one I have: BALDR Portable Power Station
It even states CPAP backup as an application. I use it for charging phones, etc and running low power lights, fans, etc during blackouts.

Stay Warm Everyone! You're in our prayers.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Thank you sir - - - I'm thinking I might go ahead and bite the bullet and get a Propane unit with a Propane tank that sits outside. I'm also thinking that I want it to take over all that's needed in the house but this may all change once I start pricing units. :scratch: :shock: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 pm

Well, just found out the Power ain't the only thing folks are doing without - - - - a few minutes ago, the water company cut everyone's water off - - - - if they don't get it back on soon "ALL" the pipes in this subdv will be frozen. "OUCH" :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 pm

A large, whole-house unit is certainly the most convenient option (and the most expensive). You can think of it in terms of insurance.

One way to save a little money would be getting a somewhat smaller generator (say 12 KW) that can handle critical parts of the house (heating, AC, kitchen, some lights, etc) and using manual switchover. However, it may not be significantly cheaper than a whole-house installation, with auto switchover. The trade off would be longer run time from the same fuel tank. Good luck with your research. :salut:
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:24 pm

I hope you get your water supply back soon. I guess it's time to round up empty water containers & when it does come back, fill them up before the next water cutoff (along with filling up a tub). :(

With all the power outages we've had here over the years, we always had water. I guess our local water service has enough backup generators to keep their pumps going.

Good Luck! :salut:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:31 pm

Rambo wrote:I’m going to Pennsylvania and kill that F’n Groundhog

I’ve been having that exact reoccurring thought for the last 48 hours. I’m in, meet y’all in Tyler.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:35 pm

GTR wrote:

I’ve been having that exact reoccurring thought for the last 48 hours. I’m in, meet y’all in Tyler.

I’m laughing
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 pm

GTR wrote:

heck I’ll point him out! We tried to deport him but the new president gave him citizenship, a drivers license, and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm

Maybe to political? Dunno.

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm

This was Tuesday morning 4 below at the house, this is the weather our parents talked about walking to school. :laughing7: Hunkered down and trying to stay warm.
Attachments
D3F069A5-839C-4980-A769-27CE72E12140.jpeg
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:34 pm

Born right before Pearl Harbor, I can qualify for some of the old folks experiences - - - I caught a school bus at the bottom of a hill about 150 yds from the house and the Bus let us off on the FM road at Lela and went on into Shamrock to take the older classmates. We Elementary Students walked up a small hill to the school house and during winter weather I can remember my teacher Mrs Close taking me and some others over to the radiant heaters and gently thawing our eyelashes that had stuck together. Our playground there consisted of ONE Maypole and TWO teeter-totters
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 pm

I have still not figured out how my Dad walked to school up hill both ways in the snow???????

Hang in there folks. The end is insight.

I’m in on a groundhog round up though. Just let me know!

Return to “General Discussion”