2 millions without power.

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

2 millions without power.

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:30 am

Hope you're all OK.

Just read in the Norwegian news that 2 million Texans are affected by a power outage due to snow and cold weather.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: 2 millions without power.

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:17 am

It was down to 11 earlier this morning and now it's 14 - - - we will be well below freezing until Wed probably. The Heat is running wide open and the internal house temp has eased down to 73 already. If we lose power we'll be very dependent on blankets and body heat. There's no way anyone can go anywhere with the roads as they are and it will just get worse until this blows over. Lots of Praying going on as well.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:33 am

Thankfully we have not lost power to this point. There are rolling blackouts being done state wide though to relieve some pressure on the grid
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:29 am

I lost power 3, maybe 4 times last night. No better feeling than feeling like you can’t breathe when the power goes out and your CPAP shuts off and you are trying to breather through a 3/4” tube 6 feet long. Definitely going to be looking into a UPS, I like my sleep. My apartment heater has been running all night and hasn’t gotten over 63*. I can’t wait to see the electric bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:45 am

I remember Sandy. Two weeks without power, and it was cold even for us. We did not have a generator then but we do now.

We actually cooked a potato on the gas rig, and held it all day and it kept us reasonably warm. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Moink!
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:52 am

This is why I got a natural gas back up generator. Never have to run out and get gasoline. It’s automatic and turns on with loss of power. Funny thing is we’ve never needed it yet in the 5 yrs it’s been in. I do run it twice a year to check operation and it’s been rock solid. You can get these to run on lp gas also “propane”.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:02 am

Not good. 11 Fahrenheit is cold. Especially if houses and heating systems aren't built for such temperatures.

Parts: what's normal indoor temperatures for you? We usually keep around 72 year long.

Seems weather is strange and cold weather has moved. We are seeing temperatures in the 40's next week. That's first time since beginning of December we're above freezing point. It normally doesn't happen before end of March.

The day before yesterday a main water pipe burst downtown. Filled the streets with a lot of water. Not good when it's 5 Fahrenheit. Cars parked in the streets got stuck. Frozen to the ground.

Hope it improves for you as soon as possible and that you have power to keep the heating running.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:03 am

We're all electric and the water system is a local and privately owned company. So far our heat has managed to maintain 72 but that will probably change tonight with an expected 10 degree low.

I surely may get a generator installed before too long but it will have to be Gasoline powered. Otherwise I'd have to have a propane tank installed for just the generator. What brand of Generator do Y'all recommend :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 am

Joe, with Sherry as the Thermostat, I usually try and maintain 76 heat and 73 cool :dont:
Most of the Ladies that I know in this area have a tendency to prefer it warmer !
However, you could hang meat in my Granny's home and she ran window units.
roflmao2.gif
roflmao2.gif (46.58 KiB) Viewed 971 times
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:38 pm

I have a Generac generator. I believe it’s 20kw for a 200 amp service. When my cousin who lives in Long Island New York had his house built we ran a gas line to where he was going to put it. I never actually seen his but from talking with him they loose power frequently and said it was a solid unit and hasn’t let him down yet. It’s powered his house through a couple hurricanes, and snow storms. He said it was the best money he ever spent, so that’s why I went with this particular brand. Are there better out there? Don’t know. We’ve been blessed I guess and haven’t lost power in a long time. Neighbors right across the street have lost it a couple times but our side of the street has been lucky.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:13 pm

We just have a stand alone gasoline model, enough for the fridge/freezer and maybe one heater. I hate when we lose power and it does happen too often.
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 pm

See photo, thermometer is outside ring. Just hit 6 F on our way to 0 projected tonight.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:30 pm

I’m going to Pennsylvania and kill that F’n Groundhog
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:28 am

Rambo wrote:I’m going to Pennsylvania and kill that F’n Groundhog

I’ll pick you up in the motorhome, I’m either going to put the 2nd bullet in him or just be your chauffeur. Either way we’ll have a good time.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:32 am

GRailsback wrote:
Rambo wrote:I’m going to Pennsylvania and kill that F’n Groundhog

I’ll pick you up in the motorhome, I’m either going to put the 2nd bullet in him or just be your chauffeur. Either way we’ll have a good time.

Road Trip !!!!

Return to “General Discussion”