Pre-Mardi Gras Sack Lunch

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Pre-Mardi Gras Sack Lunch

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:06 pm

3 lbs plus fixins with butter and Slap Yo Mama

This is from a Weekend Cook Shack and my first of the year. They are usually great but it seems they've changed to another Boil so I may have to go down the road next time. I ate all but probably a pound and that's not my style at all. :dont:

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Pre-Mardi Gras Sack Lunch

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Been ready for mud bug season. Seen places around here are starting to advertise them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:30 pm

They're a little pricey at $8.49/LB and these were not large at all - - - I may get my Bro down the street to go in with me and get a couple of sacks to do ourselves for family and friends. However, we have to let this Front get outa here. :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:51 pm

That is a little steep. I’ve seen $7.99 around here. I’m on the lookout for this $5 a lb and under happy hour specials

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:01 pm

I think it is going to be a little while before you see that sooner. And they said it is going to be a little while before you start to see the bigger bugs show up. But they are running right at 9 bucks in my area as well.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:31 pm

GRailsback wrote:I think it is going to be a little while before you see that sooner. And they said it is going to be a little while before you start to see the bigger bugs show up. But they are running right at 9 bucks in my area as well.

For sure. That’s definitely for later in the season.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:41 pm

I have a neighbor down the street that knows of a place almost to the Sabine River that raises some of the prettiest I've ever seen but it takes the better part of a day to go get a sack. If my other friend wants to split a "Boil" then we might just pair one Friday and make the trip so we can Party the following Saturday . :wav:
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Looks great! Haven’t done a boil in a long time.

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:01 pm

I ain’t eat’n no dayum crawfish, they’re catfish bait
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:59 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I have a neighbor down the street that knows of a place almost to the Sabine River that raises some of the prettiest I've ever seen but it takes the better part of a day to go get a sack. If my other friend wants to split a "Boil" then we might just pair one Friday and make the trip so we can Party the following Saturday . :wav:
Do they raise these?

Also different seasons. Our season starts in August. Only wild caught available.

Looks great though.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:31 am

Yes Indeed, Joe, and it's a pretty big business in the suitable areas.
I'm pretty sure that the Seasons depend on the Mating Seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdb5sDwQCY
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:55 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Yes Indeed, Joe, and it's a pretty big business in the suitable areas.
I'm pretty sure that the Seasons depend on the Mating Seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdb5sDwQCY
Interesting. Never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

We have a different species than yours. Ours only lives in clear freshwater and it's very sensitive for water quality. Season is from the 10th of August until 14th of September, but many places the season is only 8 days since it's vulnerable to extinction.

That is because our Swedish neighbor introduced the North American crawfish to their waters in the 60's. Norwegian and Swedish waters are connected so the species spread to Norway. That is a problem because the north American variant carries a disease that kills our species. The North American species are immune.

We catch them in the dark, putting bate on a stick and stick it to the bottom of the water. In the dark we walk around with a light and pick up the sticks. Usually some crawfish sits on the bate and are brought up. Later there usually is a big party with fresh boiled crawfish. Drinks usually involve aquavit.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:12 pm

So do you "purge" your crawfish with salt-water :?: :scratch:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:29 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:So do you "purge" your crawfish with salt-water :?: :scratch:
No. We purge the eater with aquavit :laughing7: :laughing7:

Usually the crawfish is kept in nets in fresh water for a while to clean itself.

Return to “General Discussion”