Will Ferrell and GM want a fight

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

phillymike
Cowboy

Re: Will Ferrell and GM want a fight

Postby phillymike » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:35 pm

With Michael Bloomberg and John Kerry having there own private jets and both being climate princesses is it wrong for me to have a 707 hp jeep? Image
For me it’s about smiles per gallon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:40 pm

That coin has two sides, Mike :tup: :laughing7: :lol: :D :shock: :roll: :dont:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNrwd_O4dk

Would there be a conflict of possibly using too much needed fuel that is needed by those Competition BBQ'ers :?: :chef: :laughing7:

We are faithful watchers of the TV Series "Mountain Men" and Eustace Conway of N. C. has and regularly uses a Wood Burning Truck. :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:44 pm

phillymike wrote:With Michael Bloomberg and John Kerry having there own private jets and both being climate princesses is it wrong for me to have a 707 hp jeep? Image

I could see 707 smiles per mile.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:50 pm

There’s one big question I have in the gas vs. electric vehicle debate: How is the electricity generated? By burning gas or coal? From an overall systems point of view that could make it less efficient than burning the fossul fuel directly.
:scratch:
phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:56 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:That coin has two sides, Mike :tup: :laughing7: :lol: :D :shock: :roll: :dont:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikNrwd_O4dk

Would there be a conflict of possibly using too much needed fuel that is needed by those Competition BBQ'ers :?: :chef: :laughing7:

We are faithful watchers of the TV Series "Mountain Men" and Eustace Conway of N. C. has and regularly uses a Wood Burning Truck. :wav:

That’s a lot of wood! One pound per mile. They would find something to complain about. Now cow farts are bad. What’s next?

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:15 pm

phillymike wrote:With Michael Bloomberg and John Kerry having there own private jets and both being climate princesses is it wrong for me to have a 707 hp jeep? Image

Thanks for the tease. Now I want to see the rest of it!

phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:32 pm

Hear ya go, oh and they parked it in a handicap spot when I picked it up

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Will Ferrell and GM want a fight

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:22 pm

Impressive! Beautiful machine

phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:56 pm

Thank you sir!

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:33 am

phillymike wrote:Image
Hear ya go, oh and they parked it in a handicap spot when I picked it up

As Sooner said. Impressive.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 am

Professor Bunky wrote:There’s one big question I have in the gas vs. electric vehicle debate: How is the electricity generated? By burning gas or coal? From an overall systems point of view that could make it less efficient than burning the fossul fuel directly.
:scratch:
That is a valid question. I guess it varies between countries. In our country 98% of the power comes from renewable sources. That is for us by far mostly hydroelectric production. They have calculated that if all personal cars in Norway were electric they would consume 5-6 % of our powerproduction per year. Since most cars are charged during the night they say it wouldn't cause any problems for the grid and we have enough electricity.

Again, I'm not advocating for everyone to go electric. That must be up to each and one.

What I'm saying is that if you're mostly using your car for daily driving to the work or grocery store or daily trips shorter than 250-300 miles there are many great electric cars that can replace a compact or midsize. The Audi E Tron or the MB EQC are great mid size SUV'S. They are 4wd and can tow 1.8 ton.

If you're need is towing heavy stuff long distance or transport a lot there still are no good electric options.

One good thing about electric cars is that there are fewer movable parts, not much to service and therefore a lot cheaper to own.

The e-tron or eqc has a typical consumption of 25 kwh per 100 km. That is abour 2.35 usd for 62 miles with our power prices.

Phillymikes Trackhawk? above is way lot more fun though and can't be replaced by an electric car. But this is not a common car for everyone either. Electric cars can replace most of the mainstream cars, not the muscle cars many of us loves. Cars like that are prohibitively expensive here so they wouldn't be an option anyway. Electric or not.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:48 am

Ok. Last one from me regarding this:

https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/f ... 398869001/

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:24 am

There's a reason trains use diesel/electric motors..they produce max torque at 1 RPM, as do ALL electric motors.
For guys that insist on recip power, hydrogen works well and the exhaust does not kill living creatures.
I used to build race engines that made well over 1000hp and I must say I feel guilty about it to this day.
What a waste of everything, money, resources breathable air.....
I feel less guilty about working on surface transport for working folks who needed to get to work, school and jobs as I was able to tune the engines to pollute less and get better fuel mileage.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:22 am

Chasdev wrote: I was able to tune the engines to pollute less and get better fuel mileage.

THAT brings to mind a short, true and meant to be light hearted story from my Hot Rod Days.

One year they had the State Hot Rod Run at Waco, Texas and my Family and some dear friends managed to Caravan to it.
Catalytic Converters were being scorned by most of the Rodders in those days so a couple of the Officials of the Show set up a fun gathering one afternoon.

They managed to get the local Chevy Dealership to bring out a new 4 dr Family Car (?not sure exactly what) with V8 engine. They also had a representative from the E.P.A. to come out with his testing equipment.

Basically what they did was match up that Chevy with a well known Hot Rodders 35 Coupe with a 454 sporting 2 four barrels. Both vehicles were then tuned by their owners and the exhaust emissions test were done.

BOTTOMLINE: The Coupe with the 454 (no Catalytic Converter) was found to pollute less than the New Chevrolet with all the EPA required accessories. :roll: :shock:

YES, it was kinda like a scene from American Graffiti BUT it was also real and, of course, us rodders rubbed it in a little bit.

Have a Great Day Y'all ! :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:14 am

Those were some good car shows at Ft. Fisher. Once they moved it was never quite the same.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “General Discussion”