Will Ferrell and GM want a fight

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Will Ferrell and GM want a fight

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 am

Where's Ft. Fisher :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:38 pm

My last word, and respects to all. More than what the government says or any of us say, the marketplace always decides the best product. At the point where electric cars can do everything that gas does but better, and at an equal or better price, the decision will be easy and will get made by the buying public and not the government, which by the way still subsidizes electric car production in this country heavily with corporate welfare. I have long advocated that neither side should get government welfare, and simply battle it out in the marketplace based on the merits. The buying public is by far the best judge of the best product by whatever yardstick you measure it.

One other thing I will say: liquid natural gas, a much cleaner burning fuel than gasoline, has been in use with strong effectiveness in both small and large vehicles for decades. The petrochemical industry and the green political wing could’ve reached compromises decades ago on a transition to LNG and other related cleaner burning fuels decades ago as an interim transition fuel over the long term, but the political green side refused to compromise and wanted an all or none solution, and waged all out legal and political warfare against the petrochemical industry because of it. As a result, a good 40 years of improved outcomes was lost while the electric car industry finally engineered up and tooled up and capitalized up to get to a point that it could begin to be competitive in the marketplace. I consider this to be the great tragedy. And without getting further political, this continues to be the tactic on many themes from the left where in there are no compromises, only a hardbound one way solution with no consideration to the destruction of good business enterprises and jobs trampled under a utopian vision quest. That approach is a waste of time, effort, money, and does great damage to the civil discourse of a society.

JMHO, and with that I will step down off my soapbox and close my political trap for the duration.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:49 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Where's Ft. Fisher :?:

Right off 35 at the river, west side. Pickup Trucks of Texas did a show there for almost 20 years. Then moved it on the other side of 30, it only lasted about 4-5 more years.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:51 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Where's Ft. Fisher :?:

It’s name is actually Fort Fisher Park.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:54 pm

N.C. or Texas :dont: :?:

OK, never mind I googled and found the one in Waco - - - - I remember the State Run that I mentioned was next to a River so it was probably there. This would have been the late Seventies. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:57 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:N.C. or Texas :dont: :?:

Texas.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:01 pm

F0F9A75C-DA2D-4A0D-A884-00FE6C277A2D.jpeg
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:29 pm

:laughing7: :lol: :D my oldest Son placed 2nd or 3rd in the creaper races, the year we went. He competed in the Youth Class and what a crash in the end. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Did you know W.L. Lucky (aka "Lucky") from here in Conroe :?: We lost him a couple of years ago. They have, or used to have, a "Lucky's Rod Run" the first of January in Bryan Texas at the Chicken Oil Company. No awards given but he and some friends started it many years ago just to kick off the Rod Run Activity. He was a great and long time friend and Hot Rodder.
LuckeyBike.jpg

Luckey.jpg

Luckey1.jpg
Luckey1.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 973 times

SORRY ABOUT THE HI-JACK, JOE :whiteflag:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:45 pm

I still hated the one electric car we rode in! :P
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:09 am

Wife got her new all electric car today. Volvo xc 40 recharge.

4wd, 402 hp, 0-60 moh 4.7 sec.

GM has to do better than the Chevrolet Bolt are they going to take on Norway. :laughing7:ImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:06 pm

That’s pretty Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:21 pm

Does the Heater warm up quicker that with an Internal Combustion Engine :?:

Kinda funny now that I think of it but when we lived in Colorado we had Motor Heaters on our Vehicles that we plugged into 110 at night so the Oil would not resemble Grease overnight.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:53 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Does the Heater warm up quicker that with an Internal Combustion Engine :?:

Kinda funny now that I think of it but when we lived in Colorado we had Motor Heaters on our Vehicles that we plugged into 110 at night so the Oil would not resemble Grease overnight.
Yes. It heats up fast. Uses a heat pump like an air to air heat pump you heat your house with. You can set it to heat up at a set time, like when you go to work, or start the heater from your phone so you have a warm car and defrosted windows before leaving office. Opposite in the summer.

Motor heater was common here too some years ago. Not necessary on modern cars.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Motor Heaters were NECESSARY in Summit County Colorado, if you planned on starting your vehicle during the coldest of the winter. We had a Dog named "Snow Toes" (my sons version of Obsidian Sinoto) and he would get on the hood of the Vehicle at night when it was cold and sleep there because it was warm because of the Motor Heater. When any of us would open the front door and call him the mound of snow on the hood would quiver and out he would come.
SnowToes.jpg
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Motor Heaters were NECESSARY in Summit County Colorado, if you planned on starting your vehicle during the coldest of the winter. We had a Dog named "Snow Toes" (my sons version of Obsidian Sinoto) and he would get on the hood of the Vehicle at night when it was cold and sleep there because it was warm because of the Motor Heater. When any of us would open the front door and call him the mound of snow on the hood would quiver and out he would come.
SnowToes.jpg
Very cute dog. I guess he liked snow.

I do believe it was necessary. What has changed is the oil. With your history with hot rods you probably know more about this than me but the introduction of fully synthetic motor oils and especially those made for cold temperatures are liquid to a much colder temperatures.

Staying at the cabin for a week or two with the car parked outside in -10-15f without touching it is no problem with proper oil, freeze safe coolant and a well maintained battery. Also make sure you park with at least an half full tank of gas to avoid condensation.

Problem is the diesel that can turn into wax without proper additives in the winter.

Return to “General Discussion”