Texas Blizzard

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Texas Blizzard

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Whew.... What a nice QUIET evening without the drone of two generators running. A big ol' pot of chicken & dumplings for dinner helped. I'm thankful to have come through this relatively unscathed. One more good night's sleep and I'll be ready for the next one. I'll be tweaking my set-up a bit in order to lessen the running around once things are hooked up. I have a feeling we may get another snowfall this season.

As you might remember Scotty of Star Trek fame...... "I'm givin' her all she's got Captain!!" These two Champion inverter generators were true workhorses. Only two minor issues the whole time. Last year I installed a dedicated pass-through to avoid running cords thru windows and the like. I don't care to backfeed for multiple reasons. Once inside the spaghetti of cords began. Here's a pic of my outside set-up. Time to fire up the smoker very soon. :chef: :chef: :chef:

Why don’t you like to back feed if you have the main breaker off?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:47 pm

GRailsback wrote:Why don’t you like to back feed if you have the main breaker off?

I read some articles about backfeeding and I recall some concerns even when properly done. Add to that I have limited watts to work with and could easily overload with the flip of a switch. Funny... I spent two days turning on the light switches with no results and then found myself forgetting to turn them on once the power got restored. :scratch:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Before I installed my home generator I would throw the mains on the house and plug into my 30 amp shore power plug for the travel trailer. A 5500 watt would run the whole house except the AC. I installed two 5000 btu window units for night time comfort. My furnace and stove is Natural gas so wintertime is no real issue. Hurricanes and summer are the killers.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

During Ike I back fed for 13 days with a 8kw. Ran the well and septic, ice boxes, tvs, and ceiling fans. Water is gas and the outdoor bar is gas. I was good to go. But don’t get me wrong, it’s not something I want to do very often. I really should have a generator installed. All the power lines in the area are above ground.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:07 pm

GRailsback wrote:During Ike I back fed for 13 days with a 8kw. Ran the well and septic, ice boxes, tvs, and ceiling fans. Water is gas and the outdoor bar is gas. I was good to go. But don’t get me wrong, it’s not something I want to do very often. I really should have a generator installed. All the power lines in the area are above ground.

My boss put in a new Generac and offered me his 15 year old Ruud 20 KW I jumped on it. I had to build a 20" tall platform for it because I flood.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 pm

20 will run some stuff. Did you have to put in a bigger gas meter? I think I could get by with a 14kw. 17 for sure.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:58 pm

GRailsback wrote:20 will run some stuff. Did you have to put in a bigger gas meter? I think I could get by with a 14kw. 17 for sure.

Yes I had to have Centerpoint install a 1.5 lb. meter because of my 1" line and 75' distance. The meter was a flat 300.00 up front and I had my plumber do the hook up on my end as I needed my 4 ounce at the house and generator to choke it back down. My electrical was 1000.00 and I did all the ditch work and conduit.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Weather forecast says we can expect up to 35 inches of snow over a two day period. Starting tomorrow. Time to inspect the snowblower and put the kids to work.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Norway Joe wrote:Weather forecast says we can expect up to 35 inches of snow over a two day period. Starting tomorrow. Time to inspect the snowblower and put the kids to work.

In five years at 10,000' I never owned a Snow Blower but I did bring back this Relic to remind me of those Mornings trying to get out of the Driveway and go to Work. If your Boys could use this, I'll be happy to send it to you :?: :laughing7: :laughing7: :roll: :shock: :dont: :banghead: :whiteflag:
P1180103.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Norway Joe wrote:Weather forecast says we can expect up to 35 inches of snow over a two day period. Starting tomorrow. Time to inspect the snowblower and put the kids to work.

In five years at 10,000' I never owned a Snow Blower but I did bring back this Relic to remind me of those Mornings trying to get out of the Driveway and go to Work. If your Boys could use this, I'll be happy to send it to you :?: :laughing7: :laughing7: :roll: :shock: :dont: :banghead: :whiteflag:
P1180103.JPG
That's a good one but we are well covered.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1

Return to “General Discussion”