God Jul from Oklahoma! (belated)

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

OkieGal
Rustler

God Jul from Oklahoma! (belated)

Postby OkieGal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:11 am

Last year, Norway Joe posted about the traditional Norwegian Christmas dessert “Riskrem” Rice Pudding and I was intrigued.
This year, I finally made it for our Christmas dinner.
I followed the directions in this link, which I think Joe had provided:
https://thecountrybasket.com/risengrot-riskrem-recipe/

I made the Risgrot (rice porridge) on Christmas Eve. The whole point of making this was to have rice for the dessert,
but I snuck a small bowl with butter, cinnamon and sugar. YUM!
On Christmas morning, I whipped up some heavy cream with sugar and vanilla sugar then folded it in with the rice, and voila – RISKREM!
I made a strawberry coulis to serve with it.

I had blanched an almond to hide in the rice. I couldn’t find a marzipan pig locally and the one on Amazon had bad reviews, so I substituted
a box of small chocolate Santas for the prize.

I explained about the tradition with the almond as I served the dessert. Obviously my BIL wasn’t paying attention – a little later, he looked puzzled
and said “Does this have nuts in it?” So then we knew he was the winner. :lol:

Everyone else enjoyed this dessert, but I absolutely LOVE it! I will be making it again.
Thanks for sharing this, Joe.

I only got one picture at serving time and its not a very good one.
I had intended to take progress pics, but was so busy with everything else that I didn’t succeed. Next time I will do better! ;)

20201225_152838.jpg
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: God Jul from Oklahoma! (belated)

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 am

Wow. That is awesome and from the pictures I'm impressed. You made it just like us, and from scratch. That is a bit time consuming. I have to admit that we usually cheat and use a ready made mix that only needs 5 minutes of boiling.

Next year, send me your address and I can send you a marzipan pig.

Fortsatt God Jul.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 am

Yo Joe, isn't that what you sent me and I enjoyed so much? As far as the Pig goes, I just nibbled on it until it was gone.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Yo Joe, isn't that what you sent me and I enjoyed so much? As far as the Pig goes, I just nibbled on it until it was gone.
Yup the porridge is the same. She used the porridge to make riskrem which is a dessert made of whipped cream and rice porridge.

As she did, we usually put a blanced almond in the riskrem bowl. The one that get the almond wins the marzipan pig.

I know Okiegirl has Norwegian ancestors and that she wanted to make this.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:41 pm

OUP, if I'd I known that ready-made mix existed, I would probably have used it! :D Yours looked delicious.

But Joe is right, I wanted to make this because of my Norwegian heritage and I'm glad I used the method he recommended.
It was not hard, but definitely time-consuming. I think the porridge and the pudding are both delicious.
Next I will try the sour cream porridge Joe posted a while back.

Thank you, Joe, for expanding my horizons - and for the offer of the marzipan pig. :D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm

I just followed Joe's directions and then added butter, sugar and cinnamon - - - it was very good also.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”