Summer holiday

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Summer holiday

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Wow, Joe, just plain WOW :tup: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:44 am

02ebz06 wrote:Thanks for posting all the pics.
Enjoy your vaca...
Thanks.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm

We're still staying at the forts island but took the ferry to a city called Tønsberg. This is Norway's oldest city. A medieval city from the year 871. One of our famous vikingship was found here. In the years 1130 to 1240 Norway was riddled with civil wars. Different kings ruled different parts of the country and fought each other. Here in Tønsberg my 23 times grandfather the Birkebeiner king Hakon hakonsen fought the enemy and conquered the city. He was the first king to control the entire country. Despite fires the city still has som old buildings and streets made of cobblestone.

After we came back to the boat and the island we went to the restaurant. Got a big surprise. We a great dinner. Tenderloin with creamed pepper sauce, salad and potato gratin. Didn't have high expectations since usually when you have only one option the service and food quality is mediocre at best. What a great surprise.

Not so pleasant weather. Heavy wind and rain. Since this island is located with the ocean on the outside the waves get big. Still docked but the boat is rocking a lot!! Not so pleasant. We're moving to a calmer place tomorrow since the weather will worsen more on Sunday.ImageImageImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:59 pm

:cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Wunderful pics of a wunderful travel :cheers:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:19 am

Another day, another place. Went to a city called Horten. It's an old naval city with a big naval base and naval shipyard. The base is closed and turned into a museum. Pretty interesting with the main attraction KNM Narvik. A frigate in use before the ones we are using now.

The frigate belongs to the Oslo class. Commissioned in 1965 and decommissioned in 2007. It's 97 yards long.(about 2/3 of an Arleigh Burke).

For those interested in the ship class:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo-class_frigate

A gun boat and and old submarine is also on display.

Seems our little tour turns in to a military historic tour. That's ok. It interests us all. My wife's uncle was an Admiral and chief of the Royal Norwegian Navy for many years.

A few pictures.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:18 am

Moved again. New little place called "Son". The place have references in the history books all the way back to the year 1154.

Typical for the city is the small, narrow streets with white villas and white wooden fences. This is also typical for cities along the southern part of the country.
The city had is greatest time during the Dutch period. The Dutch was in need for timber and in the period 1550 to 1800 thus place was a hub for export of local timber to Holland.

And of course well know for booze smuggling and called a smugglers paradise.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:21 am

:wav:
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:18 pm

I would like to see that all, but if i see the weather, I´m happy that we go to Italy again. :rose:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm

daBertl wrote:I would like to see that all, but if i see the weather, I´m happy that we go to Italy again. :rose:
You have many beautiful cities and places in Germany, too. Been to many of them.

Regarding the weather it's really bad now. Very heavy wind and big waves. We docked early today. Still in the harbor we're rocking like a rollercoaster.

The SAR boats pictured above have their hands full. Below is a couple of pictures from a sailboat they rescued today not far from us. Check out the sail and the waves.ImageImage

phillymike
Cowboy

Postby phillymike » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Wow that’s rough! Stay safe. I just got caught up with the great pictures. Wifey and I just got back from a 4 day camping trip which was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:06 pm

phillymike wrote:Wow that’s rough! Stay safe. I just got caught up with the great pictures. Wifey and I just got back from a 4 day camping trip which was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Camping trip sounds great.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Made a little taco buffet in the boat tonight. Turned out great.

Wind has calmed so much better today. Even got time for an hour kayaking along the coast.ImageImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Cool Happenings,, Sir Joe :wav:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 pm

Just catching up on the now I’ve been a little busy. A few observations:

No 1 - 40 kn in any vehicle is what is known in Texas as “picking them up and putting them down”. The fact that it looks high and top-heavy probably belies a lot of technology below decks in terms of ballast and an advanced hull. Very impressive.

No 2 - A Bofors gun is very impressive and all the more amazing because of the many decades if it’s useful service life. Enough to make any aircraft very skittish.

No 3 - It occurs to me that Norwegians, even just coastal sailors, have to be very blue water salty. Seeing what had to be a high-quality sailing craft with It’s mainsail completely shredded is very sobering.

No 5 - This is the one and only time I will ever say this, so take pause, and Parts please note this down in the ship’s log for the record books: this is the one and only time I would ever drool over a tenderloin covered in a cream sauce because it looks just fabulous.

No 6 - your boys have certainly gotten tall and straight, quite a testimony to good parenting and a good heritage. Never hurts to have a king or two and a couple of admirals hanging out in the family tree. And teaching history? Absolutely fantastic. I am so glad you were doing this; the most lethal disease a society can face is not a temporary virus that will one day be conquered by medicine; it is the hubris to fail to soberly understand the mistakes of the past and learn from them so as not to repeat them in the future.

Joe best wishes and smooth sailing the rest of the way for you and the family, and as always, “keep the right side up”.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “General Discussion”