John Prine RIP

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

John Prine RIP

Postby Boots » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:58 pm

Yep, ol John has it. About 8 days in, stable but not improving yet. Thought that those really into CW, Americana and old Folk would want to know. Wish him well, he’s beat cancer twice already, but now this...

For those that don’t know, he co-wrote “the perfect country and western song” with Steve Goodman for David Allen Coe. Without him and Willie and Waylon Jerry Jeff and Ray Wylie Hubbard, much of what we know as Texas country music would not exist today. For that alone, Prine deserves a Nobel Prize fer the Arts. Viking Joe, if you have any pull with yer cousin the King, would you mind givin’ him a ring over to the palace and see if he can pull a string with the Nobel Committee? I bet he knows somebody over there from Wednesday night poker with the Swedish relations.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fionaprine
    Last edited by Boots on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
    Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
    Bobby: "No."
    Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
    chasdev USER_AVATAR
    Chasdev
    Outlaw

Re: John Prine CV19

Postby Chasdev » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:26 am

He's a true folk genius, I loved his stuff back then and still do today.
    Take me back to Muhlenberg County please.
    oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
    OldUsedParts
    Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 am

I heard this the other day and was sad to hear it. I've been a Prine Fan from the beginning. Altho I like them all, my favorites would be "Flag Decal" and "In Spite of Ourselves" with Iris Dement. A friend recently sent me his latest CD which is getting analyzed in the BBQ/Shop Area. :salut:

Get well soon John - - - thoughts and Prayers for all the Victums of this horrible mess.
    I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
    bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
    bsooner75
    High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am

The thing about legends like Mr Prine is you may be a fan of his music and not even know it. He has written so many fantastic songs but it may not be his voice you’ve heard sing them.

He truly is a legend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GTR
    Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 am

[quote="bsooner75"]The thing about legends like Mr Prine is you may be a fan of his music and not even know it. He has written so many fantastic songs but it may not be his voice you’ve heard sing them.

He truly is a legend

I sometimes find it more interesting to see the songs these artists have written. John without a doubt belongs in the conversation with some truly legendary writers.
    Link to a collaboration he did. I really like these "super groups", curious what and how they get together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiv430vef_w
    "The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
    Ray Wylie Hubbard
    boots USER_AVATAR
    Boots
    Wordsmith

Re: John Prine RIP

Postby Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:46 pm

‘Fraid Ol John didn’t make it this time.

“Take me on back to Muhlenberg County,
    Down by the Green River, where Paradise lay...”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... it-253684/
    BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
    Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
    Bobby: "No."
    Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
    GTR
    Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:08 am

Truly a sad day. Nearly wrecked my truck running back roads to "Guitar Town" first time I heard it!
    That same song saved me a ticket in Selma Tx. "Ain't no local yocal gonna shut me down"
    RIP John, thanks for the songs.
    "The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
    Ray Wylie Hubbard
    oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
    OldUsedParts
    Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:48 am

"Where the air smelled like snakes and we'd shoot with our pistols, but empty pop bottles is all we would kill"
    Rest In Peace, Sir John :salut: :(
    I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “General Discussion”