Wish Salsa lasted longer !

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Wish Salsa lasted longer !

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:26 am

Here are all the Tools that I use for The Canning Process. Pot on the Left is for Boiling Jars and Hot Water Canning. Pot on the Right is for my Ingredients. The large mouth Funnel is for getting the HOT Ingredients into the Jars and the Large Tongs are what I use to transfer the Hot Jars to and from their need locations. ?there's probably a better set of Tongs out now but these are fine IF I pay attention to what I'm doing? FOOTNOTE: Rarely will I use the Lids except for getting the Water to the Boiling Point and While Boiling Water Canning.
P2080008.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 am

Ball sells a little kit for about 10-15$ that has a funnel, canning tongs, lid magnet, and a tool to get out bubbles I never use
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am

I may look into that Kit since my stuff has some Mileage on them. :tup: :salut:

I got a chance to do a taste test on the Canned Maters from Wally World today. The Wiffy wanted Lasagna so I used that Can for part of the Sauce. Took a spoon full straight outa the can and I really liked the flavor (fire roasted). Looking forward to a batch of Salsa using it and ?maybe? roasted jalapenos and own-yawns. Thanks again for the Tip. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:42 pm

That large-mouth funnel is essential! :tup:
Moink!
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the information and pics. When I make my fresh salsa, I usually start with canned tomatoes and add onions, jalapenos, cilantro, salt and lime juice until I get it to taste like I want. No cooking involved in mine, is something like this able to be canned
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:24 pm

There are probably ways to cold can veggies but I'd be leary in doing it. Why don't you want to boil them a little bit? :dont: :scratch:
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:30 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:There are probably ways to cold can veggies but I'd be leary in doing it. Why don't you want to boil them a little bit? :dont: :scratch:

X2

Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:There are probably ways to cold can veggies but I'd be leary in doing it. Why don't you want to boil them a little bit? :dont: :scratch:
Williep wrote:

X2

No reason really just never tried it that way. Is it a matter of just bringing it to a boil for x amount of time? Does it change the flavor any? Thanks.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:30 pm

As for me, I think it enhances the flavor by boiling. Think of it as Salsa (boiled) compared to Pico de Giao (fresh chopped). Sure wouldn't hurt to try a batch and if you don't like it then you can send it to me. :laughing7: :dont:
Grabber70Mach
Pilgrim

Postby Grabber70Mach » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:As for me, I think it enhances the flavor by boiling. Think of it as Salsa (boiled) compared to Pico de Giao (fresh chopped). Sure wouldn't hurt to try a batch and if you don't like it then you can send it to me. :laughing7: :dont:
Thanks. I'm going to have to get some reading done on the procedure and some supplies then make some time to try a batch.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 am

I've never Preserved the combination of canned and fresh but something that you might consider also is to boil "ONLY" the fresh veggies and not the Canned Stuff ?????? Maybe Rambo or Willie has some thoughts since they've used the Canned Maters in with the other Fresh Veggies. :dont:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:17 am

I don’t see any reason not too. As OUP said, I think it just brings all the flavors together. I don’t hard, rolling boil mine however. When it comes to a boil I reduce the heat and just let it simmer a while. Once I pour it up I do go straight to the water bath cooker and let that come to a rolling boil for five minutes with the jars in there then I pull and place on a wire rack. You’ll hear the kids sealing off, they make a clicking sound
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 am

After the jars have set out for 30 minutes or so take your finger and push down on the center of the lid, it should be sucked down. If it moves down and then pops back up that jar didn’t seal and you’ll have to eat that one within a week or so. Just refrigerate it
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:38 am

Google also says this: Clostridium botulinum bacteria are the main reason why pressure canning is absolutely necessary for canning low-acid food.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Google also says this: Clostridium botulinum bacteria are the main reason why pressure canning is absolutely necessary for canning low-acid food.

Which is why I add juice of one freshly squeezed lime and a cup of vinegar to my batches

Return to “General Discussion”