Deer Season in Texas

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Re: Deer Season in Texas

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Shot mine this past weekend!! In in 13” rule county so get what we can. If you want meat. ImageImageThis one 14.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 am

He'll eat very well for sure. I've never understood the logic behind using inside spread as a legal gauge ??????? If he doesn't look directly at you then it's just a guess. I was hunting on a Game Ranch out of Del Rio once and just about to pull the trigger on a very tall and heavy tined buck UNTIL he looked at me and, much to my surprise he couldn't have been 6" inside. :banghead: However, before he looked at me, he was a wall hanger. :dont: :scratch: :banghead:
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 am

game laws have gotten so difficult these days, I remember the days of buck or doe, and doe required a permit.... fish too long or short? never.... not today... oh well :whiteflag:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
tejun
Pilgrim

Postby tejun » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:25 pm

spacetrucker wrote:game laws have gotten so difficult these days, I remember the days of buck or doe, and doe required a permit.... fish too long or short? never.... not today... oh well :whiteflag:

Man, no kidding. You have to be able to measure length/width using your eyes or scope from a distance... have ink pen to fill out tag, something to affix the tag to the deer.... some ranches have price tag on ear to scan for payment by CC :roll:

Must leave a fully feathered wing or head when transporting migratory game birds and on and on !!! Its gettin to a point you need a legal expert to accompany you and read regs as you are shooting.
GRailsback
Outlaw

Postby GRailsback » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:14 pm

I wonder who sets those rules, surely its not the Game Wardens?
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:45 am

Pork anyone?Image

OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:10 am

Good Score, Sir. My Dad always said that Good tasting wild game starts from the Field Dressing to the Freezer.
:tup: :salut: :cheers:
"Good BBQ Comes From Experience, and Experience, Well, That Comes From Bad BBQ "
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:34 pm

GRailsback wrote:I wonder who sets those rules, surely its not the Game Wardens?

mostly done by the wildlife biologist recommendations, combined with the law makers.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
bsooner75
Chuck Wagon

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:35 am

spacetrucker wrote:
GRailsback wrote:I wonder who sets those rules, surely its not the Game Wardens?

mostly done by the wildlife biologist recommendations, combined with the law makers.

This is correct. The Game Wardens are just there to enforce the laws they are given.

Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::laughing7: :lol: :D I still say that Opening Day of Rifle Season should be declared a National Holiday :tup: :blues: :texas: 8)

Local businesses here are closed on opening day. Lol!
(Insert witty signature here)
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:20 pm

This was the only one so far. Just a doe. The pic does her no justice. lol! I sent the picture to my brother and he asks, "Whose dog did you shoot?!" :laughing7:
20191116_063653.jpg

Last day I got to hunt before the break; we get 3 more days after Christmas, I was REALLY tempted here.. I didn't waste the round though. Lol!
20191123_070508.jpg
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 am

A young Doe provides some very sweet and tender fixins. :salut: Is tat a Crow :?:
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:29 am

OldUsedParts wrote:A young Doe provides some very sweet and tender fixins. :salut: Is tat a Crow :?:

She was a young doe but somewhere, had a fawn. It was not with her anywhere when I pulled the trigger. Maybe a bobcat claimed it? I dunno, there are some around, and big ones too. I saw a cat not far from my house a few weeks back that I first thought was a Maine Coon, but when he spooked, I saw no tail at all.. :dont: The venison has been fantastic so far. I've yet to come across anything with a heavy game flavor that wasn't brined before cooking. And yessir, that was a crow. Lol! Darn corn thieves. These little buggers will make quick work of a pile of corn; faster than pigs, that's for sure. 15 crows will knock down a 10lb pile in about 2 hours. I watched it happen the day I took that pic. This guy was the straggler nabbing the crumbs. Lol!
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:14 am

If she did have a suckling, she might have hid it because she sensed danger. We had a Doe that used to come on our land in Leon County in front of the house and hide her babies for some unknown reason. We knew better than to touch the fawns, even tho we could easily get close enuff to pet them many times. NOTE: The Fawns are born with no odor that can be detected by predators at an early age so our scent on them from petting could become deadly.

One of my Favorite ways to eat young Bambis is to Grill large cubes of the prime cuts as K-Bobs with peppers, own-yawns, cherry maters and squashes while basting with Zesty Italian Dressing.

Overcooking makes for shoe leather :tup: :banghead:

Return to “General Discussion”