Mussels

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Mussels

Postby copkid » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:57 am

Ok, I watch way too much Food Network, but you always see the different shows/hosts raving over seafood, and especially mussels. What do they taste like? Do you like them? I am a pretty enthusiastic seafood lover, but HATE oysters, are mussels similar?
Educate me!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:30 am

To me they are similar when raw. But steamed or cooked they are great. I love them in seafood pasta. I'll try to find that recipe for the pasta, I know I have it somewhere. Steamed with garlic is the best.
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:36 am

I've recently takin a liking to mussels. I've never cooked them personally but the texture I would say is not too chewy but not real fishy either. Lemon, garlic and butter sauce is good, like OSD said in some pasta, and they're cheap!!
catfish USER_AVATAR
catfish
Pilgrim

Postby catfish » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:10 pm

at 51 with a bad back & knees my mussels are shrinkin' ... oh wait a minute wrong thread

i ate some mussels at a chinese buffet here while back that was goooo-ud ... they was cooked in the shell & had a lil cheese on top
it looks more like it does now than it did a while ago
rick USER_AVATAR
Rick
Pilgrim

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Just saw this and would compare them to cherrystone or little neck clams. A tad more taste and do not over cook. There is a geen mussle from Thailand that we can get here that is huge and very good. Saute all in white wine, garlic, and a little butter just until the shells open.
Rick

Return to “General Discussion”