WWII history

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

WWII history

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 am

To get to Oslo by boat you have to sail up the 75 miles long narrow fjord. About 16.4 miles before Oslo you must pass a fortified island called Oscarsborg. You have to pass on the east side since there is a stone wall only a half yard under the surface on the west side, stretching from the island to the shore. Built so large ships can't pass on this side.

Went out with the boat to the Fort today and walked around the Fort which is now a museum.

As you know Norway was captured by Germany during the second world war. On the 9th of April 1940 the German cruiser Blucher tried to sneak past the Fort during the night. The commander on the Fort somewhat disobeyed order and fired on the ship and sunk it. The two cannons, Aron and Moses fired and hit the ship. As the ship was damaged, two torpedoes was fired and sunk it.

Because of this the King and government was able to avoid capture and made it to England where they organized the resistance for the rest of the war. Most important was the exile government's requiration of the 1000 merchant ships Norway had outside of German controlled areas.

On the way back we passed the ferry Color Magic on her way to Germany.

Here you can read the details about the si king of Blucher. Dramatic story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... 8bak_Sound

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190803/129e68983f590870f39281ba2699c70c.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Norway Joe on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: WWII history

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:30 pm

That's part of our History also and thanks for sharing that with us, Sir. :salut:
Great job on the pics also, it's like we're standing there holding the camera. :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Absolutely love the photos you took here. Though I’ve never fought in any battles, I have so much respect for those who have, lost loved ones and appreciate their sacrifice. Those pics share some of what others experienced.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:That's part of our History also and thanks for sharing that with us, Sir. :salut:
Great job on the pics also, it's like we're standing there holding the camera. :cheers:
Absolutely a part of your history too. Americans sacrificed a lot during the war. I went to see the Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona memorial a few years ago. Very touching.

I've updated the link since it didn't work.
This should work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... 8bak_Sound

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Joe Thank You; For your most informative post :cheers:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:10 am

Recommend we all hoist a beer in honor of the brave gun crews of the Moses and Aron. Matching steel with a German cruiser of that era is no mean feat, the crews of the Kreigsmarine were well trained and disciplined, with superior guns and training to most European navies of the time; the Blucher boasted a total of eight 8-inch guns, throwing 270 pound shells each for miles.

Salute!!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:33 am

Amen.

NJ, I always love your photo essays. This one was fantastic.
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Thank folks. I'll drop a post in this part of the forum from time to time.

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Thanks for the great pics, Joe, and the story behind them. :salut:
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:34 am

Joernolav,
Thanks for a bit of history from Norway. I was in Norway in 2004 for an airline meeting with my company at the Oslo airport. I was there a week and had some time to explore the local country and Oslo. Great people in Norway.

A month ago, we were in France on the north coast and saw many gun implacement ruins from WW2 and the cemetaries. Humbling stuff.
Attachments
DSC01199 (Medium).jpeg
DSC01204 (Medium).jpeg
DSC01142 (Medium).jpeg
DSC01104 (Medium).jpeg
DSC01005 (Medium).jpeg
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 am

Great pictures and I find WWII history very interesting. Lots of it in Europe. Glad you liked Oslo and Norway. Traveling is one of my hobbies. Love to see different places.

See you live I California. Been there many times. Recently I spent a week in Santa Monica. Came home about 2 weeks ago. Have also driven all the way from SF to San Diego. Many beautiful places along the coast. And friendly people.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:46 am

This post is a little old but today it is 80 years since the events at the fortress and the attack on Norway. Today most countries are in a crisis, albeit a different one.

Here's some background information on the attack, for those who are interested.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati ... %C3%BCbung

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:43 am

That generation was truly "The Greatest Generation". Living through 2 world wars, the depression, rationing and shortages. Many saw the Korean War as well as Viet Nam. Their sacrifice and resilience should serve as an inspersion to us all as we now navigate these current times. :salut:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 am

When my Dad first heard about Viet Nam, I remember him saying "We always thought that, after defeating Japan and Korea, our Boys would not have to go to War !"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:28 am

The soldiers fighting for our freedom during WWII and other wars are absolutely the finest men and women there is.

In the invasion on the 9th of April we had a small boat called Pol III out at the sea watching the border. They spotted the German armada. Instead of retreating the captain on board Pol III attacks the armada. He even told the captain on the six times bigger German ship Albatross to surrender. Realizing the Germans didn't turn back, he rammed his ship into the side of the Albatross.

The Norwegian captain was shot in his leg. Before they went in the lifeboat they managed to send up a signal flare. Warning the commandant of the Oscarsborg and resulting in the sinking of the Blucher.

When they went in the life boat it capsized and after suffering heavy blood loss due to being shot the captain drowned.

The captains last words was: "don't worry about me. I'm done for anyway. if you make it back home, bring them my regards".

The captains name was Leif Welding Olsen and our first casualty in the war. A true hero.

Below is a picture of the Pol III and the type 23 torpedo boat he rammed.ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”