New Chainsaw

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

New Chainsaw

Postby rexster314 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 am

It is on topic, guys. I got tired of the gas Echo saw I've had for a number of years. Main use was cutting up logs for my stick burner and occasional use for upstart trees. It got to where I didn't know if it would start from week to week, and day to day. I'd throw my back out at least once a year trying to start the thing. Last week, I stepped over to the dark side and went cordless electric. Yep, a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 16" chainsaw. Mr. Fedex delivered it yesterday. After charging the 12v battery, I tried it out on some firewood that needed cutting down to size. Wow, is all I can say. Instant on, instant off, no having it idle while dancing on the ground. Went through 2" logs like a hot knife through melted butter. Fairly high priced to do the change, but for me it's less headache making sure I've got 2 cycle fuel/oil mix or enough TruFuel and the sometimes back problem
If anyone is considering going electric, this thing is highly recommended
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: New Chainsaw

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:11 am

Shhhhhh don’t tell anybody. I bought an Ego mower and have never been happier mowing the yard and I hate mowing…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 am

Bought a used Makita 16" rental saw from Home Despot that they were phasing out of use a couple of years ago. Paid like $20, it was garage sale pricing. Works great as long as I keep a sharp chain on it; wish it was cordless, but I use infrequently (every time a storm knocks down one of the useless hackberry trees I have on the place) so for $20 and the cost of chains, it has long since paid for itself compared to hiring a yard guy or arborist (wow, those guys seem to charge as much as a doctor these days). And no mixing 2 cycle oil!!!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:44 am

I can't do it. I realize I'm Old Fashioned; it just seems like a sin. I really want a Pellet Smoker but won't ( ever) do it because of the principle of it.

I'll die an A-Hole to many. :deadhorse:
CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Postby CookinWithWood » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:31 pm

I bought a Stihl MS251 and the cheapo electric pole saw from Harbor Freight for my place up in Michigan which is an acre and a half of trees. I've used the Stihl a handful of times and it's great, but I've used that pole saw over and over all over the property and it never fails to impress me. I'd give an electric chainsaw a chance if the gas saw quits on me.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Rambo wrote:I can't do it. I realize I'm Old Fashioned; it just seems like a sin. I really want a Pellet Smoker but won't ( ever) do it because of the principle of it.

I'll die an A-Hole to many. :deadhorse:

LOL

I have a 16” electric. It’s more of a hobby saw for me.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “General Discussion”