Smoking Pork Ribs or Brisket

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Thebbqnovice
Pilgrim

Smoking Pork Ribs or Brisket

Postby Thebbqnovice » Fri May 17, 2019 10:24 am

Hi Guys, I recently purchased an Austin XL pellet grill, i tried a set of ribs the other day and i burnt them, i follow instructions on how to smoke them but clearly failed.

My confusion it's on the use of the dial, it has different temps and also a smoke setting, so my question is. when smoking ribs I saw that they should be placed on the grill for 3 hours on the smoke setting and then taken out cover and place back at 225, i by mistake though i should leave them on 225 from the start as it was suggested to preheat the grill before use.

Sorry for the amount of ignorance on this post lol, I'm just trying to get better at this as i want to do a brisket next, saying that what temp and should i leave it on smoke instead of raising the temp?
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoking Pork Ribs or Brisket

Postby woodenvisions » Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 am

#1- Welcome..
#2- Never apologize for asking any questions . All of us learn something every day no matter how long we've been around food so don't feel you need to apologize.
#3- I am absolutely no help with Pellet Cookers lol, but be assured help is on the way. Lots of good people on here !
#4- I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone on ^^^^
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 17, 2019 4:42 pm

I am gonna give this one a try.... (Welcome to the forum)
I believe they are telling you to place the dial on smoke after the smoker is lit and smoking good, then place your ribs on for three hours in the "smoke" setting. Next they want you to wrap the ribs in foil and cook at 225 for a prescribed amount of time.
I have cooked ribs in so many different configurations from the 3-2-1(three hours open pit, two hours foiled, one hour back in open pit) to just a set and forget. Each method has a good and bad point in my opinion. So you can find a method that you like and work from there. Some folks just set the smoker at 275 and cook ribs meat side down other meat side up, some use a tooth pick to check for doneness, some use the bend test for doneness testing. Search this forum as there are several posts about each method. Find one you like keep good notes and document your results, only change one or two things at a time until you reach perfection. Good Luck, do post often and include pictures :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri May 17, 2019 4:45 pm