My Turkey Companions

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

My Turkey Companions

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Disclaimer: YES, there are woods in NJ. :lol:

I live in the woods, and there's a local flock of turkeys that has been here for years who no longer fear people - they've walked right past me in my yard with just a glance, less than 10 feet away.

I came home from work yesterday and noticed a HUGE Tom in my yard with two hens. The hens ignored him while they were eating off of my platform bird feeder, but Mr. Big went to work:

I didn't want to press my luck with trying to grab a larger lens or getting closer - I didn't know how much time I would have or how close I could get without pushing my luck since he was struttin'. This Tom is pretty wary, even though I know he saw me taking the pics.

This was special. I've seen this Tom up close and he's a turkey hunter's wet dream. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: My Turkey Companions

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Pretty kool ain't it

We have a group of 12-14 in our yard daily this time of year. I don't mind them as they are GREAT Tick hunters.
They fit right in with the Bear and Coyote population we have here.
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm

It was definitely cool to see this big boy strut! :D

I love to see them come into my yard. I've been within a few feet of them and they don't care.

We also have a flock of Guinea hens roaming our neighborhood - my yard welcomes you to eat all of my ticks. :D
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:51 pm

There’s some serious wobble to that gobble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:12 pm

Smoking Piney wrote:It was definitely cool to see this big boy strut! :D

I love to see them come into my yard. I've been within a few feet of them and they don't care.

We also have a flock of Guinea hens roaming our neighborhood - my yard welcomes you to eat all of my ticks. :D
Nature cracks me up when these Toms get all worked up looking to impress the ladies !!
I had one a few days ago " all puffed up " in the middle of the road holding up traffic like a crossing guard !! His " girls " were all lined up across the street ready for Prom Night lolol !

They are almost as bad as the Bucks during Rutt Season, just less damage done to our cars
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm

woodenvisions wrote:

Nature cracks me up when these Toms get all worked up looking to impress the ladies !!
I had one a few days ago " all puffed up " in the middle of the road holding up traffic like a crossing guard !! His " girls " were all lined up across the street ready for Prom Night lolol !

They are almost as bad as the Bucks during Rutt Season, just less damage done to our cars

Turkeys rock when they strut. I feel privileged to see this that close.

It was cool. :D
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:07 pm

No turkeys around here, but we feed the birds and the odd stray cat gets a score if leftovers are on the lawn. Hedgehogs have names,lol. I try to look after nature since the grandkids came along.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Smoking Piney wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:

Turkeys rock when they strut. I feel privileged to see this that close.

It was cool. :D
This may sound far fetched but I'm dead serious. Whatever you do, DON'T get in between him and his future dates when he's in full display and his beard is blood red. It will only end up bad for you unfortunately....

True story here :::

I've been riding Enduro Dirt Bikes since I was a kid so probably 40+ years.
Back in 2005 I was taking a run with my brother in law from Morris County Nj to the Delaware Water Gap via the abandoned rr tracks. Most of the railroad bed was missing the tracks, just the ties were left so some sections we could put the hammer down and sometimes find 5th !
We both had KTM's, his was a 250 and I had a 380, both 2 strokes.
We came up on a section that was about 1/2 mile long with no ties or tracks and was smooth as can be but very quickly turned into some pretty deep whoops.
We allways looked forward to this section to try and beat each other to the other end and we both knew the Only chance he had was for him to get a considerably long head start so this one particular day he was asleep and as soon as it was clear I scooped him and was gone.
These were strictly Enduro bikes but mine was a set up for motocross as well so I had no Speedo. But, we both knew that if we found 5th, we were knocking on a trip to the ER if we went down going that fast on a railroad bed with those stones.
I just hit 5th , woods on both sides of us and I caught a glimpse of something about 3 or 4 feet off the ground flying thru the trees!!
Before I knew it, this HUGE Wild Turkey came out in the open Directly in my line about what I would guess was about 50 feet away, chest high !!
It literally looked like a hi end camera when you hit full zoom !!
I came up on this bird so fast all I could do was lean back, turn my head and grab a handful of front brake and lay on the rear brake and hope I didn't go off the path into a tree !!
Next think I knew, this Turkey hit me dead center in my chest towards my neck/helmet area. It was flapping its wings like crazy trying to get off of me.

Now, I NEVER ride ever without Riding Boots, a Helmet with Goggles and especially a Chest Protector !!
I quickly came to a stop and almost went down but surprisingly saved it. I could hear my brother in law behind me laughing uncontrollably, telling me he had a front row seat for the show and said without a doubt, if it was on camera we would be GUARANTEED to win AFHV !!

No lie, the impact felt like someone punched me in my Chest Protector and what really Shocked me was the absolute Raw Power that came from a Turkeys Wings.
For 3 days, my ribs and chest were sore.

Lol, honest to God true story....

We often bring this up for laughs and ur pics and post made me think about that again
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:31 am

Piney, he's a MONSTER. Very impressive.

We had some turkeys here several years ago. I wonder if I can find the pics...

Yup, here's one. I think these were someone's pets. More to come, maybe.

Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 am

Fortunately for our turkeys, they didn't show up in Nov. :lol:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:59 am

Awesome Pictures, Piney - - - - down here in Texas they are not so social and we have what is called "Spring Gobbler Season". As I mentioned they are very wild here and calling a male in during mating season is quiet the challenge (sorry) :laughing7:

BTW, did Y'all know that Ben Franklin wanted to name the Turkey as the National Bird instead of the Bald Eagle :?: :flag:

Great Story W V :tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 pm

OUP,

This flock has been around for many years around my house. The birds are fearless and will walk right past you without a glance.

I'm an old GA turkey hunter...............I certainly appreciate this wet dream gobbler. :D

This Tom fits the bill. :D
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:51 pm

Mmmmm, turkey sammich.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “General Discussion”