2019 Garden Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: 2019 Garden Thread

Postby GRailsback » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Boots, i would love to drink a beer at the Firefly ranch one day. Right now i am at the Fire Lake bar at the raddisson in stavanger Norway. Sits right on a little lake in the middle of town. Mr. Joe recommended a couple of seafood places i am going to try while i am here. And they are within walking distance as well.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 pm

This garden will consist of cucumbers, okra, collards, and peppers. Got a few varieties; cayenne, guajillo, and some jalapeno, some multi-color sweet mini peppers also.
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Boots wrote:
Rambo wrote:
GRailsback wrote:Sooner, don’t forget to get her a couple of shovels and some nice leather gloves. Tan or white, either one will work.

Lmao; Sooner, this is a Well disquised trick

Those doeskin gloves are great, my wife loves 'em.

For us this year, the wife put in potatoes already, and there will be tomatoes, peppers, some of that green sea-sponge squash she likes, and hopefully cucumbers in the raised bed boxes I built her last year. By the way, my Grandfather used to say, "Squash is what you serve yer relations when you want them to leave and go home). I don't classify crooknecks that way, but as for those green tubular loofah squash, yes, they are not food.

AND THIS YEAR BOOTS IS GOING TO PLANT HIS OWN CORN (the crowd roars). We have a little bottom land behind the house against the creek, including one area that stays dry where I have established about a 3,000 sqft "compost yard" for all the deposits made by Ol' Tunder and Donkey Houtie. Fortified by about 2 years worth of composted horse manure, this should be a great area to put in my corn starting this weekend. Want to get a bit of an early start as it is warming up and I want a good tall stand prior to July when the North Texas sun starts to fry all the corn in the field around here.

Boots, you're the Aggie but I highly suggest you do a soil sample on that ground you've put the manure on; it's probably out of balance. i'm sure A&M will do one for you and SFA does for sure
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Well summer just finished here and Autumn / fall is upon us, days a bit cooler. Greenhouses still producing cucumber, chillies and tomatoes. Frozen heaps green beans butter beans. Made strawberry jam, still picking. And raspberry jam as well. Wife has caulis cabbage and sprouts planted.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 am

Russ and Mrs. Russ have got it going on
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 am

All our veggies come from the Kroger or the HEB.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 am

GRailsback wrote:All our veggies come from the Kroger or the HEB.

Definitely the most dependable method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:06 am

Yes, because i am gone a lot, and the Mrs works, and often times during the week she goes into town for yogas or for a run or some other silly adventure. Doesn’t leave much time to garden. But it looks like we are going to have the weekend off over here, so we are going to go see some fords.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Greg- there used to be some great roadside stands in the Waller/ Hempstead area. They should have some good stuff Mid May through July
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 am

Rambo wrote:Russ and Mrs. Russ have got it going on

Mrs Russ aka pinky is the green thumb, I'm the lifter mover, propagater. But I'll take the credit,lmao.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:06 am

You are correct Rambo, and the same on the stretch to Bryan college station. I do stop and get some maters for blt’s. But not much else.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:06 pm

You guys below the Panhandle can get after it; The Pecan trees are budding out and my Wisteria has exploded the last 2 days. My Plum tree has little plums on it.

:fiestanana: :coolnana: :drumnana: :cheers:
Attachments
IMG_2123[7955].JPG
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Rambo, big article in the chronicle that the timber industry in your back yard is fixin to make a pretty good comeback. So you may want to plant a couple more pines this spring as well.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:19 pm

GRailsback wrote:Rambo, big article in the chronicle that the timber industry in your back yard is fixin to make a pretty good comeback. So you may want to plant a couple more pines this spring as well.

The Lufkin Paper Mill closed several years ago and really made it hard. In the next few months there will be 2 new Mills opening up that will make timber prices competitive again. I have a lot of huge Pine on my 39 acres and had it Cruised in January; by the time they cut it, left a mess, took my beautiful trees, I cleaned it up and paid taxes I was going to net 10-15 K. It's too pretty to do that; I told them no thanks
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:31 pm

Hang on to your trees. There was a recent building code changed that they are going to start using a lot more southern yellow pine for laminating. They can now build wood structures up to 18 floors. It was just 9 floors. And they are going to be doing that laminating in the luftkin area. It’s better if you have the trees Rambo, there is plenty more around there they don’t need yours.

Return to “General Discussion”