Under the knife again..

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Re: Under the knife again..

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm

Mind your doctors TXdragon. They get paid the big bucks for a reason.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 am

Glad to hear it went well. But sorry to hear you must under the knife so soon again.

Hope you're not in to much pain, but be careful with the strong painkillers. I have had a few surgeries and I always quit taking the strong ones after 2-3 days, if I must take them. I always try to avoid them and stick to tylenol.

Not my intention to be a "besserwisser" nor am I medically trained, but I have a feeling that the doctors aren't always taking the side effects of the strong painkillers seriously enough.

Get well soon and look forward to seeing your bbq'ing again soon.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:27 am

Joernolav wrote:Glad to hear it went well. But sorry to hear you must under the knife so soon again.

Hope you're not in to much pain, but be careful with the strong painkillers. I have had a few surgeries and I always quit taking the strong ones after 2-3 days, if I must take them. I always try to avoid them and stick to tylenol.

Not my intention to be a "besserwisser" nor am I medically trained, but I have a feeling that the doctors aren't always taking the side effects of the strong painkillers seriously enough.

Get well soon and look forward to seeing your bbq'ing again soon. :scratch: :dont:

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

I try to take only the pain meds needed. Unfortunately, my body is a medical mystery. Only the strong ones work. However, I am seemingly immune to the usual physical addiction that comes from them. I've been on pain management for years under pretty strong narcotics and if a day comes that I may forget to bring them with, like on a weekend trip, I'm not prone to get sick or experience any withdraw symptoms. My knees won't like me, but I'm still functional. lol! I also process them quickly. In most cases, they are excreted from your system in about 48 to 72 hours.. They are out of mine in 24. My doctor can't make any sense of it. :scratch: :dont:

I'm pretty quick on the recovery as well. I'll be off the crutches in a day or 2. Matter of fact, I made an awesome batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies tonight because I needed to get up and move around. The wife can't get mad because those are her favorite! Lol!!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:36 am

Txdragon wrote: Matter of fact, I made an awesome batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies tonight because I needed to get up and move around. The wife can't get mad because those are her favorite! Lol!!

Physical Therapy Techniques 101, pg 498 :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:54 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Txdragon wrote: Matter of fact, I made an awesome batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies tonight because I needed to get up and move around. The wife can't get mad because those are her favorite! Lol!!

Physical Therapy Techniques 101, pg 498 :laughing7: :lol: :D

^^^ Exactly!
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 am

bobcat1 wrote:Mind your doctors TXdragon. They get paid the big bucks for a reason.

Yup...you take care, TX...medical mystery or no!

(Don't even ask me about the one time I took those orange pills, that Darvo-whatever...let's just say I never want to go through that again...) :?
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:40 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
bobcat1 wrote:Mind your doctors TXdragon. They get paid the big bucks for a reason.

Yup...you take care, TX...medical mystery or no!

(Don't even ask me about the one time I took those orange pills, that Darvo-whatever...let's just say I never want to go through that again...) :?

Darvocet? Those are horrible! A step up from T3 (tylenol 3); well, in the same family anyways. They're meant for light duty stuff or those that don't tolerate hydrocodone very well. Although when I worked in pain management, they didn't prescribe any codeine analgesics. More people have allergies and/or reactions to codeine than most other opioid medications, particularly getting really itchy after dosing. Lol! May have done better with Ultracet or Tramadol.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 am

Darvocet! Thanks, TX, that was it. They didn't have Hydro way back when, I don't think.

This Darvocet was JUST for some dental work that wasn't even an extraction. Took it a couple days. Stopped, woke up thinking I needed the ER: cold sweats, nausea, the shakes, a scene right out of Sinatra's The Man With The Golden Arm.

Never again.

I may just be your medical opposite! :laughing7:
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Darvocet! Thanks, TX, that was it. They didn't have Hydro way back when, I don't think.

This Darvocet was JUST for some dental work that wasn't even an extraction. Took it a couple days. Stopped, woke up thinking I needed the ER: cold sweats, nausea, the shakes, a scene right out of Sinatra's The Man With The Golden Arm.

Never again.

I may just be your medical opposite! :laughing7:

Ahhh. Dental work. Makes sense now. Usually T3 is given; (Tylenol 3). Some places will prescribe Vicodin or Vicoprofen. I had a molar extracted a couple years back and they wrote for a light dose of Norco :shock: Hydrocodone has been used for a very long time; since the 20s or 30s I believe.. Codeine was just more widely used for the longest time.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:59 pm

The Wife gets a regular prescription for Hydrocodone (Vicodin "Opiod") but she has learned to handle and not abuse it. I'll take one if "absolutely necessary" because of bad back pain and can't go to sleep but not often. Thank God they finally took Darvocet off of the Market https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm

First time my back went out in early Seventies, Soma Compound with Codeine was the only thing that helped me continue hanging Drywall and being able to support my family but I have "never" abused any drugs Thank God.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Follow up today and he said my knee and incision sites looked fantastic, then scolded me for being noncompliant. Wtf?! I said, in all fairness, if my noncompliance were a concern, wouldn't my knee look worse? He explained what needed to be done to fix the kneecap issue, should take about an hour and a half. Next appt in a month.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 am

Bourbon is good for pain too... just sayin.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “General Discussion”