Hooray Norway

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Hooray Norway

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:15 pm

I rarely get to watch any Nordic Events but today was my lucky day.
Got to watch the Raw Air Ski Jumping Competition from Oslo and found myself rooting for Norway
(for the first time ever) :roll: :laughing7: :dont: :lol: :D
What's even better is that "my" Jumper "WON" :cheers:

Congrats to Robert Johansson for his sweep of the Event. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Hooray Norway

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 am

Thank you, Emm. We could always need some supporters from the US.

Didn't know they aired that in the US. Raw air is a new competition tournament, started a couple of years ago. It moves to the Olympic city Lillehammer the 12th of March and then to Trondheim. Ending up in the world record hill I posted a video from on the 16th and 17th of March. This competition is crazy and is worth to watch if you have time.

R. Johanson is a great jumper. He set a new hill record in Holmenkollen on Saturday with 144 meters.

Actually when watching women's cross country and the Norwegians isn't in for a win we root for US athlete Jessica Diggins from Minnesota. She's a hardworking sympathetic athlete and she's Olympic winner in team sprint, world champion in team sprint and some silver medals from individual races.

Holmenkolen is the place where they jumped yesterday. It's a beautiful place. Magnificent view over downtown Oslo and the fjord. Oslo is located at the end of a fjord with a nice promenade along the water downtown. End of 1800/ beginning of 1900 a lot of norwegians emigrated to the US. the ship left from the pier downtown. It was called the Norwegian America Line, destination Ellis Island, New York.

Lot of tourists come to see Holmenkollen during the year to see the place. It's only 15 min. with the subway from downtown. Big tourist attraction.

We believe it's his mustache that makes him good. It's a talking point among the jumpers.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 am

He could pass for Wyatt Earp back in the day - - - thanks for the data and I'll be watching closer now. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:56 am

Emm: in 35 minutes its mens relay biathlon in the world championship. Very exciting. Women ran a couple of hours ago. Norway won. USA was in silver place until last shooting but got too many misses. Very exciting.

In an hour it's the final in raw air from the monster hill Vikersund. Absolutely worth watching.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am

Dang Joe, we're fixin to head to Houston for a gathering of Sherry's bunch so I hope to catch it on a rerun later maybe ?

thanks for the headsup,
Emm
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Parts, I am heading to Norway tomorrow. I will drink a beer for you when I am over there.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Very sorry we didn't find time to meet. Hope it's possible another time.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes, maybe next time Mr Joe. It was a very short notice from my leaders over here. In fact I was supposed to do some volunteer work down at our Rodeo then go to see George Straight in concert. So I have a ticket that I would like to shove up my bosses kiester. But i must jump diretly on a train out of Oslo on Monday morning and head down to Kongsberg. I will then taxi directly to our offices and plant in Kongsberg. Then check into the hotel after the work day is finished. I suspect I will be plenty tired by then.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:47 pm

GRailsback wrote:Parts, I am heading to Norway tomorrow. I will drink a beer for you when I am over there.

Hope the trip is to your liking - - - - what do you mean "A" beer ? someone might as well since I'm on NA now :banghead:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Parts, I am pretty sure they are going to pay me well for the trip. So I will like that part about it. Not real thrilled about being in snow up to my kiester, been a long time sine I have been in that kind of weather, but I will figure that out.

Parts I only ever have 2 beers, the first one and the last one. The ones in between don't count.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 am

As I often say, and as the great Orson Wells likely would have said:

“I will only drink ONE beer........at a time.”
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:18 am

GRailsback wrote:Yes, maybe next time Mr Joe. It was a very short notice from my leaders over here. In fact I was supposed to do some volunteer work down at our Rodeo then go to see George Straight in concert. So I have a ticket that I would like to shove up my bosses kiester. But i must jump diretly on a train out of Oslo on Monday morning and head down to Kongsberg. I will then taxi directly to our offices and plant in Kongsberg. Then check into the hotel after the work day is finished. I suspect I will be plenty tired by then.
It's good you're not arriving today. Bad weather. This is outside our house now. Snowing heavy. No particular delays at the airport but public transportation downton struggle a little. Good to get some help.

Hopefully the last heavy snowfall. Forecast says nicely 45f from Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

ImageImageImage
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:06 am

:tup: too old for that now but I can almost smell that "Clean Air" from the Pics. :salut:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 am

Wow, thats a lot of snow.

Return to “General Discussion”