Ski tradition

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Ski tradition

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:10 am

Today it's almost our second national day. Every year there is a big cross country world cup weekend here in Oslo. The men races 50 km (31 miles) and the woman 30 km (18.6 miles). This is the toughest race during the season and a big event for the athletes and the spectators. No other race has so many spectators. During the race they climb 2000 heightmeters total.

The race originated in 1902. At that time the race time was 5 - 6 hours. Today, depending on the snow they use 2 -2.5 hours. Fastest is 1 hour 55 min.

Normally around 60.000 spectators gather around the tracks out in the forest. Several thousands camps in tents the night before the race.

This is also the reason why we are doing so well in winter sports. It's in our culture. Families are out skiing almost every weekend during winter, bringing their kids out on skies as soon as they are able to walk. Our king is also a decent skier and are present at a lot of races during the winter. The present king is older now, but a few years ago you very well could meat him in the ski tracks with his dog on a Sunday.

In the black and white picture below you can see our former king on the railway to same race as today. He's there on the way together with ordinary spectators. He is even trying to pay for the ticket. This was during the oil crisis in the 70's.

The tower in the first picture is the ski jumping arena. This what they call big hill where they jump up to 155 yards. We have another bigger jumping arena where the world record is 277 yards. (You can see the record here: https://youtu.be/eyGfB1QpBSI)

Wasn't able to go today so are watching from the TV.ImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Last edited by Norway Joe on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Ski tradition

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:33 am

Very Nice, Joe, it's easy to see why Y'all have excelled in Nordic Events for decades. The aerodynamics that young man creates to sustain his flight is awesome and the smile says the rest. Thanks for sharing this Tradition and Norway Culture. :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 am

That is so cool. The crowds are huge.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:08 am

I have to mention that the ski jumper is Austrian. Current record set in the Norwegian ski jump hill Vikersund.

Austrians are excellent ski jumpers too.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 am

thanks for the post, very informative, easy to see why the competition is so intense :whiteflag:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I love watching ski jumping. Those dudes are nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Very cool! :tup:
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:01 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I love watching ski jumping. Those dudes are nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. They are crazy. They have around 55 mph at "take off" and around 71 mph at landing. There was ski jump competition after the cross country race in the hill in the picture. Two falls becauseof wind. A German face planted when landing. Slammed his face in the hard snow scrubbing away. Didn't look good.

Return to “General Discussion”