Bo Peep Advice

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Bo Peep Advice

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:03 am

I have never cooked Lamb and my previous experience with it has been at a party and I did not like the taste all that much.
HOWEVER, I'm wanting to BBQ/Grill a small cut myself and see what happens. Sooooooooooo what I need is some recommendation for what to buy and how to cook it. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Bo Peep Advice

Postby GRailsback » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 am

Hey Parts, I ate quite a bit of lamb when i was in Australia and enjoyed it. But have no experience cooking it. I think the best stuff i have seen produced on here would be from
Capt jack or Russ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 am

10-4 hope they see this before I head to HEB - - - - might have to toss a coin for the cut choice or ask the butcher :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am

If you want to grill a amall cut, look for a bone like porterhouse. I grew up on these. Or else a rib cut (like a pork chop.)

Don't overcook. It needs to be at least pink inside. Season only with salt and pepper (not SPG!) until you get a feel for the taste. Hope this helps!
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 am

First of all, what cut you looking at getting? Chops? Rack? Leg?
Lamb is wonderful and EASILY botched. And by botched, I mean, horribly. Any bad experiences with lamb I will give certainty to came from being improperly prepared and/or seasoned.
(Insert witty signature here)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 am

:happ: eaten lamb in the D.C. area, it was good, hear about mint jelly... never bought or tried to cook any, may be more than one of us learning from this thread? :idea:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 am

I think our friend Russ is the guy you may be looking for Emm.

I cook mine a certain way but its impossible for you because you can't use the type of cooker I use so I think Mr Kiwi himself is ur guy !
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03 pm

OK, Peeps, I picked up a pkg of Lamb and I'm gonna bite the bullet. The 3 reasons I got these were the word Rib, the Price and they're just daggone purdy. Thanks for the tips and I'll be back soon with an "ou la la" report (that's french yanno?). Fangers Crossed and fire'n up the ECB. :salut:

P3080060.JPG
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Good luck, buddy! Remember: no more than medium!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanks, Chef Sir, :salut: don't think they'll be a problem because when my wife and I first got together I ordered a Porter House like this.
"Knock his horns off, wipe his tail and put him on the plate" The Wiffy told me later that she came close to walking out and waiting in the Car. "Whew"

I decided to use the Kingsford Kettle and have them dusted with Suckle Busters Campfire Steak Seasoning. :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 pm

You chose well emm, we call it the loin chop, it's basically the fillet on a steak, the sweetest meat, my wife can eat about 5 of those, she sucks the bones dry. You cooked them perfect, my wife would be all over them. It's like a rack of lamb just cut up.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:43 pm

WOW, thanks Pard, it was pure beginner's luck but I'll take it. :tup: :salut:

Return to “General Discussion”