Milk Cartons are NOT the Same

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Milk Cartons are NOT the Same

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 am

Don't know if it's just my imagination or not but I think the plastic qt bottles with the screw on top keep Milk fresher longer.
The Wife always buys the half gallon with the push on top or even the cardboard waxed container which "I" usually end up throwing half of it away in a couple of weeks. Most of the time she buys it to eat Cereal or Oats with but since I'm lactose intolerant I only use it to cook with. However, I still think that 2 (probably 1) of my bottles would be the smartest buy for her. :dont: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Milk Cartons are NOT the Same

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Don't know if it's just my imagination or not but I think the plastic qt bottles with the screw on top keep Milk fresher longer.
The Wife always buys the half gallon with the push on top or even the cardboard waxed container which "I" usually end up throwing half of it away in a couple of weeks. Most of the time she buys it to eat Cereal or Oats with but since I'm lactose intolerant I only use it to cook with. However, I still think that 2 (probably 1) of my bottles would be the smartest buy for her. :dont: :roll:
I know it's more $ but here's the honest truth with my wife. She has always been running to the bathroom right after drinking milk and eating iced cream.
We decided to try Organic Milk after reading up on it and she Instantly found that she's not having those dairy issues.
Its been over 10 years and not once has she had the urge to speed into the other room after drinking it...
In fact, there have been times where I've Accidently grabbed regular milk and she's let me know after drinking it...

Emm, you might want to bite the bullet just once and pay the extra $$ and see if you have the same positive reaction to it.
I have also noticed a difference in taste and color. It seems to be more whiter than the regular milk.

Call me crazy and that I'm imagining this but from 10 years experience, its just the facts in our situation.

We have a dairy farm not too far from us that has Rediculous chocolate milk. 4 $ a quart but you get 2.50$ back when you bring them the glass container back. So, for 1.50$ you get awesome choc milk from thier cows. Evan is a Chocolate Milk MACHINE lol..... They do ice cream too, good stuff. I gotta make a trip soon, I have about a dozen containers to bring back

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks Pocono Pal, truth is I've done without it in my diet for so long that I don't miss it. However, t'won't hurt to try a little organic just once to see if the urge returns. :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 am

Not much I can add here. With two kids in the house a jug of milk doesn’t last long. Can’t remember the last time one expired on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Don't know if it's just my imagination or not but I think the plastic qt bottles with the screw on top keep Milk fresher longer.

I've always hated milk. There, I said it. :laughing7:

PB uses it in cereal, I use it in cooking. We buy PINTS. Before we discovered pints (and the half-pints of boxed milk which you cannot even find these days, just quarts), we'd buy a quart of regular milk and freeze some in empty water bottles so we got about eight ounces in each bottle.

Worked out fine for us.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 am

bsooner75 wrote:Not much I can add here. With two kids in the house a jug of milk doesn’t last long. Can’t remember the last time one expired on us.

I can certainly remember those days :tup:

Sailor Mam, I sure may try and bottle up and freeze some the next time she buys a big jug just to see what happens. :salut:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:39 pm

the wife is lactose intolerant, she buys the pills, lactaid and eats what ever to her hearts delight, prior to the pill regimen ice cream, cheese, butter, all forms of dairy sent her into the little room... so we buy the lactose free milk, heb has mootopia, it never goes bad and when she makes enchiladas she uses extra cheese and takes the pills to compensate, with no ill effects. The last few months she has started buying regular milk for me 1/2 gal every week or three, I try to watch the date and try to consume prior to the going bad date. Screw on top or push on top I really cant tell a difference? :dont:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:44 pm

S.T. there may not be any difference but it sure seems that way in my Frig :dont:
Funny thing is, I don't have any problems with Dulce De Leche Ice Cream, Cheese, Sour Cream, Cottage Cheese or Butter but a glass of Sweet Milk treats me like a kick in the gut by Chuck Norris. :dont:

Bump: I can't tolerate Vanilla Ice Cream either :scratch: :roll:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:S.T. there may not be any difference but it sure seems that way in my Frig :dont:
Funny thing is, I don't have any problems with Dulce De Leche Ice Cream, Cheese, Sour Cream, Cottage Cheese or Butter but a glass of Sweet Milk treats me like a kick in the gut by Chuck Norris. :dont:

Bump: I can't tolerate Vanilla Ice Cream either :scratch: :roll:

I get what you are saying, may be that there is something in that milk doing it to you, if the cheese and other milk products don't cause a problem that is hard for me to cyper... that HEB or latctaid milk, does that cause a problem for you? this is curious...
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 am

S.T. as I mentioned earlier, I only use it to cook with and haven't had a glass of milk or bowl of cereal in many years so I don't know if it still bothers me or not. Truth is, I really don't miss it either :laughing7:
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 am

Just a bit of info from someone who has had issues with lactose in the past, cheese that has been aged 6 months or more contains no lactose.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks, Cliff, another thing is that Buttermilk doesn't bother me either - - - it seems to be just plain Sweet Milk that does. :dont: :scratch: :salut:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:52 am

CliffCarter wrote:Just a bit of info from someone who has had issues with lactose in the past, cheese that has been aged 6 months or more contains no lactose.

that is intereasting, I had not read or heard of this, will do some looking on it....Thanks...
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 pm

We have a local dairy that is a Eco -dairy and they sell milk that still has the cream in it. Boy you talk about rich. They have different flavors too ( Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel,and the regular milk.) I love the Caramel milk. They All have to be shaken really well before you drink them. We haven't bought milk for the house for almost 6 months. I trade them Fresh Bottom fish for the milk and eggs. Works out for both of us.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 am

Mule rider wrote:We have a local dairy that is a Eco -dairy and they sell milk that still has the cream in it. Boy you talk about rich. They have different flavors too ( Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel,and the regular milk.) I love the Caramel milk. They All have to be shaken really well before you drink them. We haven't bought milk for the house for almost 6 months. I trade them Fresh Bottom fish for the milk and eggs. Works out for both of us.

looks like you have a good barter system working for you. :salut:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “General Discussion”