Spoon fed or shoulder to the wheel?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Spoon fed or shoulder to the wheel?

Postby Copasspupil » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 am

Yes, a slightly odd topic to discuss. What happened to our society where we’ve gone from learning how to do something to expect someone to give you all the answers. I understand this is a barbecue forum and everyone has their own ways of doing things. There are times where you have a hard time with doing something, you can ask for help and if you don’t understand what’s going wrong, you can ask for help and there are those here that are more than willing to help.

But why is it expected now with certain people to be given all the answers without trying first? At least try to learn or make an effort before requesting the key to the city. I was on another forum and was asked how I did the aged NY strip. I told the guy to first do some research on the process, which way you want to do and other items you’d need to learn first, using a bag vs. true dry aging, your equipment needs, and different types of molds to recognize etc. I mean we all had to crawl before we could walk? I even suggested using youtube to figure out which process he wanted to go with.

I was told I was selfish for not telling everyone how to do it. After going through my first batch, I realized the process is way more complicated than that. I've noticed this mentality with other areas as well. So, am I wrong? I enjoy and learn more by putting forth an effort. How about you?
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Spoon fed or shoulder to the wheel?

Postby GTR » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Entitlement syndrome
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 pm

We try not to get into opinions here please
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 pm

I’ll have to take this thread down if there is more
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:45 am

Copasspupil wrote: I was told I was selfish for not telling everyone how to do it.

This would have gone against my grain also but "cest le vie" (sp?)
Put it aside, avoid the rude people and do what makes YOU happy.

Also, as Rambo mentioned, we need to be careful with such matters HERE :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 am

Maybe they don't have friends who Q, or just like to talk? :dont:

*putting on my Nice Person hat....though I TOTALLY get it, was just talking about the same thing myself today, only about fountain pen forums lol*
Moink!
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Rambo wrote:We try not to get into opinions here please

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12574

4 pages of "opinions" here ^ yet no threat of pulling the thread. Every comment to every thread on this board is an "opinion".
If a pic is posted and a comment is made it's an "opinion". Not that it matters since every thread on here is the personal chat room for a select few who will high-jack a thread for their own personal amusement. If this comment in some form or fashion is reason to remove the thread and or ban me so be it.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:16 pm

GTR wrote:

4 pages of "opinions" here ^ yet no threat of pulling the thread. Every comment to every thread on this board is an "opinion".
If a pic is posted and a comment is made it's an "opinion". Not that it matters since every thread on here is the personal chat room for a select few who will high-jack a thread for their own personal amusement. If this comment in some form or fashion is reason to remove the thread and or ban me so be it.

I understand what you're saying; that said, we do stay away from Political views here and Entitlement syndrome caught my eye. In the future, if you'd like to call me out, try sending me a Private Message. You're a good poster and valued Member here.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks Rambo for the comment on my quality postings ;)

I was not trying to focus on entitlement in the post. I was just a little shocked by the comment is all. I would not expect it from this group at all
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:40 pm

:tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:48 pm

As long as it stays civil, I'm always in! Copass: i understand EXACTLY. I'm a member of a few automotive forums as well and it's dog eat dog. The general mentality behind spoonfeeding info vs searching varies from site to site. How I, myself, feel about it? I believe FIRMLY that an answer can be given in just as many, if not less words, than it takes to flame somebody for not searching first. We don't know what they've done without giving a quick search ourselves to see if the info is readily available within the given search parameters, then sift through at least SOME of it to check accuracy. In short, it takes longer to be a jerk than it does to be nice. 8) :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 am

I am a member of other forums too. The thing I like with this forum is that it's relieved from "grumpy" posts like "haven't you searched?", "why didn't you check this thread?" and so on. I believe most of us do that before we post, but still have questions.

It's my understanding that from the posts I've seen here that the participants have bbq knowledge well above the average bbq'er, but still have questions. They are also willingly sharing their knowledge. It can't be that if a topic has been covered somewhere on the Internet you're banned from asking about a similar topic. If so there's no need for the forum. New people have different ways of doing things and things evolve. So do the equipment and an advice given from someone with a slightly different equipment may still need tweaking and testing on your own.

We should not forget that there are newcomers that feel a little lost in all the technicalities in their new hobby and need som friendly advice. Some may be reluctant to ask questions because they are afraid of being bitten off with a grumpy answer or even ridiculed (which happens in many forums). We want them to succeed, don't we? If so it's a good chance they will be valued contributors later on.

Another thing is that I for not one second would believe that the way I do it would be the only wholy grail and too secret to share. I strongly believe that if you want information you should also share information. Should you have something you don't want to share, so well, don't. I for my part would be very happy if my advice contributed to better bbq for someone else.

If you don't like the thread or question, I think it is better to skip it instead of writing something grumpy. No problem at all. We have the moderators to decide if the topics are in the scope of or appropriate for the forum.

I hope the friendliness of this forum continues the way it is.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:51 am

GTR wrote:

I'm pretty sure Rambo meant opinions pertaining to political and/or social issues. The thread you refer to deals with a topic specific to the forum and it didn't get derailed by nonsense. "Nonsense" is also subjective and so on, so forth. I mean, I could REALLY split hairs on this. Lol! However, there are topics that can heat up pretty quickly that pertain to forum specifics. Lol! Fat cap up/down, sauce/no sauce, and many others. I mentioned earlier on that I don't mind a good debate as long as it all stays civil. ;)
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:46 am

Just like in fountain pen forums! Piston fill versus cartridge/converter versus lever fill...modern versus vintage...brand versus brand...inks, papers. It gets pretty heated.

:laughing7:
Moink!
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:49 pm

I just like BBQ :D

Return to “General Discussion”