Holidays Are Over Diet

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Holidays Are Over Diet

Postby Rambo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 am

Well, I'm kinda glad to see today get here. My wife, and myself to a smaller degree, started cooking about a week before Thanksgiving and didn't quit until the backstrap was done this past Saturday. There has been UNLIMITED cakes, pies, cookies, and chocolate candies out around the house in trays. Lots of family gatherings, most are doubles or triples depending on locations for certain family members. The bottom line is I have gone from my normal, acceptable weight of 210 to an unacceptable total of 226. back to my old Grapefruit/ no carb diet I've used so many times. I'll be at 210 by February and never be hungry. I can eat all the meat, salad, eggs, grapefruit, and cheese I want so I'll be fine.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Holidays Are Over Diet

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am

Best of luck Rambo. Does sound like a fairly friendly diet. I’m a sucker for baked goods but I really could stand to cut them out.

Funny thing is, I love grapefruit. When I was a kid I’d eat it every morning with my Peepaw when I visited their house. A few years back I started taking some meds and the doc said no grapefruit. I asked I’m how big a deal It would be to have one every now and then. He said he wouldn’t chance it so I gave it up. I do sneak in a Shiner Ruby Redbird from time to time in the summer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 am

Man, that bad about the grapefruit. I’ll see if I can dig up a copy of this thing and I’ll PM it to ya
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 am

Same here with the Grapefruit and Meds but no Shiner for me :( :( :( :( :( :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:29 am

bsooner75 wrote:I started taking some meds and the doc said no grapefruit. I asked I’m how big a deal It would be to have one every now and then. He said he wouldn’t chance it so I gave it up. I do sneak in a Shiner Ruby Redbird from time to time in the summer :)

Grapefruit has the tendency to kinda amplify some meds; can increase their levels in your bloodstream. No bueno!
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:57 pm

Looking at my waist after a shower today I thought the same. I head home tomorrow after 12 days of indulging with family. The booze I drunk is taking its toll. I'm on a diet tomorrow as well. Just cut back the booze. That should do the trick.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

Grapefruit gives you that gritty teeth thing, though.

We are both out of shape now due to being sick and not exercising for a month. Not eating THAT much, but when you don't even have enough energy to drag yourself through a supermarket... :dont:
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:55 am

I can't blame the Christmas. Was fat in August too. :laughing7:

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:05 am

Rambo wrote: There has been UNLIMITED cakes, pies, cookies, and chocolate candies out around the house in trays. Lots of family gatherings, most are doubles or triples depending on locations for certain family members. The bottom line is I have gone from my normal, acceptable weight of 210 to an unacceptable total of 226. back to my old Grapefruit/ no carb diet I've used so many times. I'll be at 210 by February and never be hungry. I can eat all the meat, salad, eggs, grapefruit, and cheese I want so I'll be fine.

I have a sugar addiction as well... it's difficult to kick. I need to give it up and get this holiday weight off myself.

I have a friend who works at MD Anderson - his job is compiling data regarding all the factors affecting longevity (length of life) - the number one factor isn't exercise, genetics, pollution, etc - it's whether the diet is high or low in carbs/sugar. A high carb diet (according to the data) is the #1 factor in shortening people's lives - it contributes to obesity, heart disease, diabetes, dementia, etc. The US FDA's food pyramid has contributed greatly to what's ailing us (physically) as a nation.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 am

Joernolav wrote:I can't blame the Christmas. Was fat in August too. :laughing7:

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

You and me both

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon