Quirky Jerky

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Quirky Jerky

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:34 pm

I've got 4 steaks left from that box of meat I bought off the Door to Door Meat Vendor and, altho they have cooked up decent they have not been my favorite cuts. They don't leave you with any redness in the center no matter if you eat them raw and they are cut too thin for my liking.

Sooooo, after saying that, I'm gonna take the last four, defrost and slice thin for some Jerky. I'll have to trim quite a bit of fat from the edges of the N.Y. Strips but the Peppered Steaks should be OK just slicing. I plan on slicing thin about half way thru the defrost and then do a marinade soak. I also plan on giving them a couple of hours on the Pit Boss Pellet Pooper with some Hickory and then finishing in my Dehydrator. :dont:

I also may dust them good in the Dehydrator with Suckle Busters Campfire Steak Seasoning or even Hootchie Mama. Anyhow, that's my plan so far.

IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Quirky Jerky

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm

If ur adventurous and trust your Pocono Pal, save one of the larger ones to the side.
After its thawed, season it lightly and apply a normal layer of Grapeseed oil.
If you don't have any, go grab urself some, its worth the hunt for it.

Get ur cast iron fry pan as hot as it can get, if its whitish grey ur on the right track.
Preheat ur oven to 200.

Put NO oil in the pan, only on the sides of the meat. Lay it on one side for 45 seconds, Flip it over and put the whole thing in the oven for maybe 8 minutes, possibly 5..

I promise you you will now have Lemonade instead of Lemons.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:40 pm

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: I'm thinking but ?if? I do this, I'd rather do it on a good steak and not one of these - - thanks, Pal :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:49 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::scratch: :scratch: :scratch: I'm thinking but ?if? I do this, I'd rather do it on a good steak and not one of these - - thanks, Pal :tup: :salut:

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:53 pm

emoji109.png
emoji109.png (1 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:17 pm

I'd totally make those into jerky. WV.. I'm gonna try that method on a good ribeye!
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Curious to see
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:23 am

This is a Close your eyes and BONZAI attempt for me also - - - - however, I did get them all sliced up and ready for a marinade, if I can decide on which and what. I might just use the Suckle Busters Dry Seasonings and let the meat provide the rest of the flavor. :dont:

Not much of a bounty but they should be very tasty once finished. Probably take up two trays in the Dehydrator if lucky. :scratch:

IMG_0003.JPG
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 am

OldUsedParts wrote:This is a Close your eyes and BONZAI attempt for me also - - - - however, I did get them all sliced up and ready for a marinade, if I can decide on which and what. I might just use the Suckle Busters Dry Seasonings and let the meat provide the rest of the flavor. :dont:

Not much of a bounty but they should be very tasty once finished. Probably take up two trays in the Dehydrator if lucky. :scratch:

IMG_0003.JPG
Letter rip Emm

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:19 am

:tup: looks like I WON'T be marinating these at all because every internet recipe calls for "Worst Ever Sauce" and "Soy Sauce" - - so I'm just gonna dust them heavy with Hootchie Mama and Campfire Steak and then Dehydrate them Boogers. Looks like the Smoke time may get skipped as well but not sure at this time. :salut:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 am

OldUsedParts wrote::tup: looks like I WON'T be marinating these at all because every internet recipe calls for "Worst Ever Sauce" and "Soy Sauce" - - so I'm just gonna dust them heavy with Hootchie Mama and Campfire Steak and then Dehydrate them Boogers. Looks like the Smoke time may get skipped as well but not sure at this time. :salut:

Just a little dab. You’ll never know it’s in there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 am

OK, I split the difference and dumped in the last of some Allegro that I had. :tup:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Time to finish the Jerky after marinading so I fired up the Brinkman as an excuse to gather some smoke for them but not until I had Grilled myself some Hot Wangs and ABTs. After Lunch was done I chunked on some pre-soaked Hickory Chips to create a lot of smoke because I'm not wanting to cook them just put some smoke flavor on before finishing in the Dehydrator. They should be finished around 7:30pm and then I'll ziplock and frig until tomorrow before deciding if I want to vacuum bag any for the Grandkids. :dont:
IMG_0008.JPG

Jerky on Screen Wire Grill Pad and seasoned with Suckle Busters Campfire Seasoning
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Ready for the Jerky Screen
IMG_0013.JPG

Let the Smoking begin :tup:
IMG_0014.JPG

Off of the Smoker and ready for Dehydrator
IMG_0019.JPG

Layed out on Dehydrator Trays and seasoned the other side.
IMG_0020.JPG

Purring nicely and all that's left is the waiting.
IMG_0022.JPG
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm

good lookin chicken..
We had one of those dehydrators.. (till someone decided we did not need it anymore) they work great, on a wide variety of things from fruit to meat
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I hope you are " hydrating " while dehydrating...

Return to “General Discussion”