UDS vs old smokey?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

UDS vs old smokey?

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Well vie done the maths and I believe an uds will cost about the same as an old smokey. Now all I need is to figure out whack one I want. I made an UDS a year or so ago and really didn't care for it but looking back I see where I went wrong with it. So I'm asking you guys what you have to say on the matter. Pros and cons if you will.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: UDS vs old smokey?

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Here are the pictures of my new back porch. I might have to retake the pictures in the daytime though.
Attachments
20181216_202849.jpg
20181216_202913.jpg
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Plenty of room Justin! Put in a couple speakers and you've got room for some two-steppin'!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 pm

TX1911 wrote:Plenty of room Justin! Put in a couple speakers and you've got room for some two-steppin'!

Thanks man. The back porch feels as big as the mobile home we just moved out of!!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:08 am

:tup: :salut: :cheers: There's no doubt that You, Family and Friends will certainly enjoy that Porch :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:20 am

That’s nice, I wish I had that space. I just started a UDS of my own
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Justin, I've had MANY rigs
even now I have my vertical NewBraunfels water smoker. that started out charcoal pan, then i put an electric element in it, and now it has a gas burner in the bottom. and i can still convert it to any of the three. ...and the only thing i use it for is to cold smoke jerky ;)
3 years ago I bought a CampChef pellet cooker for long brisket & butt cooks. i've used it 4 times.. and haven't touched it in 2 years. it really needs to go on Craigslist
I do have a Sam's- stainless portable/tailgater 2-burner gas grill that i have the aluminum GrillGrates in. it's my quicky down and dirty fast grill
and then I have my CHILD! - my 22"OldSmokey. if I only had one grill it would be my 22"OS!
I'm the official OS guru. I run the OldSmokey BBQ Club on Facebook. and I am forever reinventing new techniques for the OSs
in fact i'm getting ready to do a complete series of technique cooks using the medium sized 18"- for photos for the OSclub page
there are 4 ways to cook on a 22"OS. it comes with a grill grate 8" above the fire grate. because it's 8" it is THE perfect bbq roasting machine
at 8" chicken, pork or fatty beef cooked directly over the charcoal can't get burned from flare ups, like they do on a Weber at 5"
nothing beats direct bbq roasting - think SantaMaria grill = tritip ;)
then i have hanging hooks to hang the fire grate at 4½" for high heat sear/grilling steaks & burgers
then with a small fire piled up on one side and a drip pan - 1-sided indirect smoke roasting in the mid 200s
and last, a drip pan in the middle with coal piles on both sides - 2- sided indirect in the 300s - the ultimate turkey machine
i could bury this post in pics but you really need to come over and join our OldSmokey BBQ Club on Facebook and just scroll through all the posts & the photos page
..and to know.. Bruce@OS is finally going to make us our rotisserie ring = WAY VERY KEWL
https://www.facebook.com/groups/846970728774053/
Attachments
Weber_OldSmokey.jpg
OldSmokey_rotisserie ring_001_crop.jpg
Last edited by CaptJack on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Justin to know
this is the 3rd year that Bruce@OS has run his holiday special on the rigged out 22OS
you get the flip-sided hinged grill grate
the tall legs
the magic bracket for holding the lid
a thermometer
and a bottle of BBQ sauce
if you live anywhere close to Houston, just go to the shop north of downtown and pick it up and save the shipping
https://www.oldsmokey.com/products/holi ... 655DBIL6S4
Attachments
47400407_10158352899959199_1314025590440853504_n.jpg
47400407_10158352899959199_1314025590440853504_n.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:52 pm

CaptJack wrote:Justin, I've had MANY rigs
even now I have my vertical NewBraunfels water smoker. that started out charcoal pan, then i put an electric element in it, and now it has a gas burner in the bottom. and i can still convert it to any of the three. ...and the only thing i use it for it to cold smoke jerky ;)
3 years ago I bought a CampChef pellet cooker for long brisket & butt cooks. i've used it 4 times.. and haven't touched it in 2 years. it really needs to go on Craigslist
I do have a Sam's- stainless portable/tailgater 2-burner gas grill that i have the aluminum GrillGrates in. it's my quicky down and dirty fast grill
and then I have my CHILD! - my 22"OldSmokey. if I only had one grill it would be my 22"OS!
I'm the official OS guru. I run the OldSmokey BBQ Club on Facebook. and I am forever reinventing new techniques for the OSs
in fact i'm getting ready to do a complete series of technique cooks using the medium sized 18"- for photos for the OSclub page
there are 4 ways to cook on a 22"OS. it comes with a grill grate 8" above the fire grate. because it's 8" it is THE perfect bbq roasting machine
at 8" chicken, pork or fatty beef cooked directly over the charcoal can't get burned from flare ups, like they do on a Weber at 5"
nothing beats direct bbq roasting - think SantaMaria grill = tritip ;)
then i have hanging hooks to hang the fire grate at 4½" for high heat sear/grilling steaks & burgers
then with a small fire piled up on one side and a drip pan - 1-sided indirect smoke roasting in the mid 200s
and last, a drip pan in the middle with coal piles on both sides - 2- sided indirect in the 300s - the ultimate turkey machine
i could bury this post in pics but you really need to come over and join our OldSmokey BBQ Club on Facebook and just scroll through all the posts & the photos page
..and to know.. Bruce@OS is finally going to make us our rotisserie ring = WAY VERY KEWL
https://www.facebook.com/groups/846970728774053/

I just joined the Facebook page!!!
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Are you trying to make the rotisserie ring?
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 am

JustinCouch wrote:Are you trying to make the rotisserie ring?

i did that sketch about 6 years ago
i've been trying to get Bruce@OS (owner) to manufacture them as an accessory for the 22OS
i even gave him the rotisserie motor, brackets & skewer from my last rotisserie to give him the parts he needed for a prototype.
it took me 3 years to get him to give us the hinged grill grate for adding charcoal & wood on the longer cooks
i gave him one i had for a Weber to motivate him ;)
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Justin
the year after i got out of the Army - 1973
I worked at Frank's Sheet Metal in Stafford
I could make that rotisserie ring in about an hour if i still had access to the shop ;)
I still have some sheet metal here at the house and could probably fab something
but it would be better if i had access to the tools at Frank's
since there are a couple of companies that make rotisserie rings for the Webers
i'm just trying to get Bruce@OS to manufacture one as an accessory for his 22OS
even Weber doesn't make their own rotisserie ring for their cookers
it would set OldSmokey apart
and the BUZZ would get out Image
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm

I was wanting to buy this for my weber 22" and also want to see if it would fit the UDS that i am starting to build.

weber ring 2.jpg
weber ring 2.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:24 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I was wanting to buy this for my weber 22" and also want to see if it would fit the UDS that i am starting to build.

I have read on several different forums that the top off a 22 inch webber will fit perfectly on a UDS, if that is true, then the rotisserie should work on a UDS. :idea:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:57 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the old smokey was the father of the UDS. In my travels in the last 5 years, I have only come across 1 old smokey that was on the shelf, ready for purchase, and I passed the opportunity and it never returned. I'd do some unspeakable things if that opportunity would arise again. Lol!
My vote is for the smokey, sir!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “General Discussion”