Thanksgiving Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Thanksgiving Thread

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 am

Share your menu's, thoughts, ideas.

I'm thankful for health, family, and friends. I truly appreciate Gator giving us this website to fellowship in. We have Friends here from around the world here and I'm thankful to be a part of this Community.

We're blessed and don't have to travel. For those of you that do, please take care and get home safely.

We're an old East Texas traditional menu and each family brings their share:

Ham
Turkey
Chicken & Dressing
Chicken & Dumplings
Purple Hull peas
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Mac & Cheese
Sweet potato Casserole
Some kinda broccoli junk ( :deadhorse: )
Fruit Salad
Home Made Hot Rolls
Chocolate Pie
Pecan Pie
Cookies
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Thanksgiving Thread

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am

Very well put, my Friend, and except for having a Menu, I could echo those thoughts exactly.
Good Health, Family, Friends and Forum Fellowship reins supreme in my Life as well and I do not take any of it lightly because it is a Blessing.
Your Menu reminds me so much of my former Holidays here in the South, however, our Chinese D.I.L. will be fixing/buying/serving most all of the food except for a Ham and a Pie that we'll be toting down to the Bayou City. Her Mom and Dad will be there who we have grown to Love like our own and even tho they speak no English and we speak no Chinese, the Communication and Love is there with smiles, hugs and gestures all the time.

Wishing everyone and their Families a Safe and Blessed Holiday as well and thanks as always to "The Gator Gang" :salut: :cheers: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am

It’s country for sure. We only get “ Hot Rolls 3 times a year. Sherry’s Mom makes them but she’s 86 , so I look forward to them. We’ve tried to make them like hers but to no avail
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 am

I can relate to Recreating Roll Recipes fo sho - - - we have a friend on Trinity Bay whose Wife makes larapin ones and I have tried way too many times and failed to make them like hers. :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:21 pm

We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Norway so I don't have a menu but understand it's an important day in the US.

I post because I will back up all the comments above about family,friends and this forum. Haven't been a member for long but already have connected with many of you. It's a very friendly forum with a lot of nice and helpful people that are more than willing to share their tips, thoughts and experience.

Wish you all a great Thanksgiving on Thursday and stay safe when traveling.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Same to you Joe
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm

I'll raise a glass for you, but it will be a day early as were a day ahead here. It's currently Tuesday 11am. We have our big day on Christmas. Second what everyone says about friendships. Great people here , and very funny, (some not) lol. :lol: :laughing7:

Have a good day guys and gals.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:42 pm

What everyone said! :D

Relish tray, turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, rolls, mashed potatoes, and I'm crossing my fingers on the Brussells sprouts. I think there's cheesecake and chocolates for dessert.
Moink!
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:33 pm

We're driving from Noo Yawk (proper City pronunciation) to NC to see a buddy of mine from a 'former forum'. Then Thanksgiving in Cummings, Ga with my wife's side of the family. I call them the 'LOUD FAMILY'...every one of them screams at each other, even if in friendly conversation. Weird...

I'm doing no cooking at all, except for maybe some ABT's if my nephew wants to do them with me again. My wife is making a tray or two of sweet potato casserole. YUM.

On the way back, I'll be making a few trays of lasagna back with my NC buddy. He and his daughter like the way I make it, so here we go.

Leaving 6am tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving and safe traveling to all here.
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! I am thankful that God always has my back no matter what kind of mistakes I make. I am also thankful for my wonderful family, my wife that puts up with me, and my two beautiful kids. Life gets crazier everyday in this world, so holding on to family and friends is where it's at. Being able to have my health and pushing 50 is awesome as well. Everyone have a wonderful day. Gator, thanks for the forum, I have learned so much over the years. Would be nice to meet all of ya. Happy Eating. :P
Bockbock
Dillo Q
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:39 am

I cooked a turkey last week. i used the dark meat in a gumbo soup & the white meat has been great sandwiches all week.
for our holiday meal it will be two grilled tenderloin steaks, a squash casserole, fruit salad &a green salad, with champagne
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:40 am

I'm only an hour and a half from Rambo, so our menu is very similar (even down to the broccoli :laughing7: )

I'm thankful for our family, good health and a warm place to live. It's been great to get to know y'all over the last year, I'm looking forward to more good times 8)
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

My wife and I have somehow become the destination for all holiday gatherings. My wife has 2 brothers, one older-one younger. The younger is married with 2 grown kids. The older is married as well with 4 adult children. 2 of the 4 are married as well with 6 kids total. 2 of those 6 (15 and 17) feel it necessary to bring dates to any and all family gatherings. Then there is her dad and 1/2 sister. So for those keeping score that's 22 plus my wife and I equals of 24. Then there is my 2 kids, their spouses and 5 grandchildren. So let's call it 33 ranging in age 81 to 11 months.

This year, for the first time every, we're doing somewhat of a pot luck. In the past my wife and I have prepared everything. So we only have to do 2 turkeys, a couple desserts and rolls.
I'm doing one turkey beer can style, injected with butter and chicken bouillon and smoked on the vertical box with pecan. Wife's bird will be done in the oven, recipe unknown. Rest of the menu will be a surprise to me as I was not on the "planning committee". I will however be in charge of the nectar of the Gods...……the BEER! :drunk:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:02 pm

We've got a similar situation Greg; this year we're missing 5 so only have 23 coming ( I think). they like coming up to " The Woods" as they call it. we've got an electric Golf cart kinda jacked up and the kids/teenagers ramble all over this 39 acres. Got to go hunt this afternoon before they all start piling in.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks for starting this thread Rambo.

We will load up and head to my Aunt's in Duncanville for Thanksgiving. This is her holiday to shine and she has taken most of my Meemaws recipes and go them down pretty good.

Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Taters
Giblet Gravy
Rolls
Sweet tater casserole
Corn & peas (not sure why but they've been on every Thanksgiving table for as long as I can remember).
Green Bean Casserole - My wife
Deviled Eggs - Also my wife
Coke Salad - no idea how my Aunt makes this glow in the dark concoction but I like it
A whole bunch of other stuff that will just walk in.

This will be the first holiday since the passing of my Uncle (aka Life of the Party) so we will spend extra time holding tight to the loved ones we have left and sharing memories of those that have passed.

I am extremely thankful for my wonderful Wife, awesome Children and amazing family. My health (my healing back), my job and the ability to provide for my family. I am also thankful for this forum and the wonderful people on here. Thank you all for the friendly banter and wonderful advice throughout the year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Return to “General Discussion”