2018 Deer Hunting Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: 2018 Deer Hunting Thread

Postby Txdragon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:21 pm

I haven't hunted yet this season and probably won't. Next year though, THAT'S another story! I've seen only a small handful of 4 and 6 pointers but, the smallest of them would have easily dressed out at 130+. Lost count of all the doe I've seen and there's a bunch of little ones running around with a few spots left. Lots of activity. Gonna scout through the year and see if I find the big fella. I am wondering though how I should handle the "smaller" bucks. Should I wait for signs of a more dominant buck in the area before culling the smaller ones, or could the younger ones be running the show?
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Well Dragon they have to have a 13 1/2” spread or be spike or 3 pt
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 am

Txdragon wrote:I haven't hunted yet this season and probably won't. Next year though, THAT'S another story! I've seen only a small handful of 4 and 6 pointers but, the smallest of them would have easily dressed out at 130+. Lost count of all the doe I've seen and there's a bunch of little ones running around with a few spots left. Lots of activity. Gonna scout through the year and see if I find the big fella. I am wondering though how I should handle the "smaller" bucks. Should I wait for signs of a more dominant buck in the area before culling the smaller ones, or could the younger ones be running the show?

During my first decade of Hunting, I hunted HORNS but as time went on and I learned to field dress and process them easier and my love for the taste of Venison grew and grew. Then I became a Meat Hunter and was putting 5 deer in my freezer every season and as happy as if I had a wall full of Trophies. I don't hunt anymore because I lost the passion and desire to harvest and process. NOW, after saying all of that, the best way to increase your opportunity to bag a big buck is patience and quietly sitting before you can see to shoot and then in the evenings sit until you can not see to shoot. If the deer won't move then you may have to walk hunt but your presence there must seem non-existant. Young bucks and does don't seem to feel the hunting pressure as the wiley old "mossbacks" do and therefore are not as Nocturnal and they range much broader. If you can catch a good Rut going the the BIg Bucks can be harvested easier because of smelling and following a hot doe scent. Not a Pro but I have spent lots of time doing the above.

"No matter how long you boil them, you can't eat the Antlers" :P :laughing7: :dont:

P.S. as deer begin to walk out to a certain plot or feeder, most of the time the wise buck will wait back in the bushes and watch them to make sure that everything is OK. One more reason for patience and not shooting early.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
During my first decade of Hunting, I hunted HORNS but as time went on and I learned to field dress and process them easier and my love for the taste of Venison grew and grew. Then I became a Meat Hunter and was putting 5 deer in my freezer every season and as happy as if I had a wall full of Trophies. I don't hunt anymore because I lost the passion and desire to harvest and process. NOW, after saying all of that, the best way to increase your opportunity to bag a big buck is patience and quietly sitting before you can see to shoot and then in the evenings sit until you can not see to shoot. If the deer won't move then you may have to walk hunt but your presence there must seem non-existant. Young bucks and does don't seem to feel the hunting pressure as the wiley old "mossbacks" do and therefore are not as Nocturnal and they range much broader. If you can catch a good Rut going the the BIg Bucks can be harvested easier because of smelling and following a hot doe scent. Not a Pro but I have spent lots of time doing the above.

"No matter how long you boil them, you can't eat the Antlers" :P :laughing7: :dont:

P.S. as deer begin to walk out to a certain plot or feeder, most of the time the wise buck will wait back in the bushes and watch them to make sure that everything is OK. One more reason for patience and not shooting early.

Good info! I'll hunt either or. I'm not bigger into trophies than I am on filling the freezer. I will need time to see what's out here and try not to overdo it in my area. I'm not the only hunter in a couple mile radius as I have heard many shots over the last couple weeks. So whatever is closer to me, I'd like to try and keep a balance.
(Insert witty signature here)
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am

Just a bump on this: are there no other Hunters, Proud Grandpa's, Daddy's out there. I am in Texas, right?
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 pm

I just received this pic of one of the elk in the neighborhood. We have almost 200 head of Roosevelt elk with in a mile of me. This one scored over 400 inches. I see them almost every day. What would you BBQ first.
Attachments
20170203_084847.jpg
part of the herd of bulls
IMG9509741 (Small).jpg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 pm

That is a Monster; wow
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:50 am

Very Nice and very prospering also - - - - - as far as BBQ Wapiti goes, it would be BackStrap Steaks or K-Bobs with assorted veggies :tup: :salut: :cheers: I've hunted Elk in Colorado but never got a shot worth taking but they are awesome Game and Creatures to behold. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:47 am

Rambo, my best congratulations that's a very nice buck. I'am a deer hunting lover too, and it's always an exciting game getting closer to the animal and get it down on the ground. Good job man :salut:
Now you need to cook it, please share your recipe!
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:03 am

Tasso-Hunter wrote:Rambo, my best congratulations that's a very nice buck. I'am a deer hunting lover too, and it's always an exciting game getting closer to the animal and get it down on the ground. Good job man :salut:
Now you need to cook it, please share your recipe!

Thanks TH, I had some ground , steaks, and kept one whole backstrap. I'm going to wrap it in bacon and smoke it after dashing with SPG.

FYI - I'm going to pick up my Mount today; I'll post pictures
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:24 am

Got him back; not bad for a little 110 acre pine sapling lease with no box stands on it.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1627.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1628.jpg
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Beautiful Mount. :tup:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm

I’m proud of it, thanks
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Beautiful Skull Mount, Pal, that memory maker will brighten any room in the House :tup: :salut: :cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:53 pm

That’s really cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”