Any Pasta fans out there ??

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Any Pasta fans out there ??

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:54 am

This ISN'T directed Only towards Italian Folk on here so please, everyone feel free to chime in. Im in the process of looking for a Pasta Machine. It doesn't need to be the Ferrari model, but I don't want a Yugo either. Looking for the best bang for the buck and was wondering how many of us on this forum had some suggestions on a good brand.
I've been eyeing up a Marcato Atlas 150 for 80$. Says its Made in Italy and reviews are really good.

Not sure if the upgraded ( motorized ) model for 160. $ is worth it ?

Any suggestions or info will be much appreciated :)

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Any Pasta fans out there ??

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:14 am

Hi wv, my wife bought me one, it's real easy and does a good job. Mines hand power but it's ok for me. We have pasta about 6 or 8 times during the winter.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 am

Keep us posted; hopefully someone here has some info
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 am

WV: You already know my thoughts/experiences...never used the motorized Atlas, so you'd have to figure out what it would gain for you, maybe speed or power or a hands-free experience.

I can tell you if we ever see a used Atlas at a yard sale etc., we'll be snapping it up.

Do you have a KitchenAid stand mixer or the equivalent? Those have pasta attachments. Just another thing to consider.
Moink!
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:11 pm

I have a hand crank model. It works great. We originally had an all in one machine that said it did it all but it sucked. We chose to mix and make our own then roll it out. Simple to clean, to use and fun. I’d buy it again actually.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 pm

I just looked up the price of a KitchenAid pasta attachment. Ouch.
Moink!
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 am

Try the Marcelo pasta maker. Works great.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:01 am

Being born in the pasta’s country.. I gotta say: the best machine to make pasta following the traditional recipe is wide wooden chopping board and a rolling pin...of corse, it is an hard job and you need to make your arms work...but the final result it’s the best.
Here in Italy many old women make the pasta by rolling pin :rambo:
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:01 am

So true. I got caught up in the pasta grannies YouTube videos where they show the old-school way of making pasta. it’s pretty cool and checked it out if you’ve never seen it before.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:13 am

Copasspupil wrote:So true. I got caught up in the pasta grannies YouTube videos where they show the old-school way of making pasta. it’s pretty cool and checked it out if you’ve never seen it before.

yes...consider here in Italy the most part of us grew up seeing our grandma making pasta by hands...so whenever we eat pasta at the restourant we always discuss stuff like:"oh, this pasta is not handmade!" or for example:" hei, taste it! this pasta is definitly handmade!" ahahaha....for us the food is a very big deal :laughing7:
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:24 am

"Skinner" does ALL my Pasta because we eat only 3 dishes that includes it. :dont:
Used to eat a cold pasta/seafood salad that I really miss :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Tasso-Hunter wrote:
Copasspupil wrote:So true. I got caught up in the pasta grannies YouTube videos where they show the old-school way of making pasta. it’s pretty cool and checked it out if you’ve never seen it before.

yes...consider here in Italy the most part of us grew up seeing our grandma making pasta by hands...so whenever we eat pasta at the restourant we always discuss stuff like:"oh, this pasta is not handmade!" or for example:" hei, taste it! this pasta is definitly handmade!" ahahaha....for us the food is a very big deal :laughing7:

Totally understand. My grandparents came from Calabria and in L’Aquilla. I must visit there before I die.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 am

Copasspupil wrote:
Tasso-Hunter wrote:

Totally understand. My grandparents came from Calabria and in L’Aquilla. I must visit there before I die.

Oh really?? very nice places...Atually most of the city of L'Aquila was destroyed by a strong earthquake in 2009, unfortunately part of the city hasn't been reconstructed yet.
do you remember which part of Calabria they are from?
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 am

I have only heard about what city they were from only. I've tried to do the genealogy but have run into a wall. My grandfather said his father would not speak Italian when he arrived to America and I think it was to better fit in but you loose the heritage when that occurs.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 am

Copasspupil wrote:I have only heard about what city they were from only. I've tried to do the genealogy but have run into a wall. My grandfather said his father would not speak Italian when he arrived to America and I think it was to better fit in but you loose the heritage when that occurs.

ok, I got it...anyway they must have been from two different part because L'aquila is almost in the middle of Italy, in a region called Abruzzo. Calabria is an other region placed in the extreme south, right in front of sicily island...Amazing place on the mediterranean sea...and amazing seafood too :mrgreen:

yes I am agree with you regarding the language and heritage but, as you can guess, after a while you have moved to an other country you can't pretend to save your hometown traditions anymore and of course the next generations won't do it...

Return to “General Discussion”