Sooner Shopping

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Sooner Shopping

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

I know that I am not alone when I say that I have gotten tips and ideas for products here on this Forum, that I had never thought about trying. Most of them have changed my menus and even my recipes and usually for the better. Today was Sooner Suggestion time while I was out and about getting groceries.

This Sauce was easy to find in HEB and there were a couple more that I might try later.
I'm thinking I'll use this on a loaded Ripper in a day or two for the Taste Test. :dont:
IMG_0048.JPG

Since there is some Road Construction going on along my usual Route, I decided to go the semi-long way.
I dropped by the new Krogers to pick up some Sooner Suggested Catfish Fillets.
Think I'll do my first one with some Blackening on the Cast Iron over some Kingsford next week.
IMG_0047.JPG

Thanks again, Sooner :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Sooner Shopping

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:17 am

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

I tend to forget the size of those filets. Last time my wife went I told her to get a dozen (must’ve been thinking crappie size) for me, her and the two kids. I ate leftovers for days :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

10-4 they are full growed fo sho - - - that's one of the reasons I want to Blacken them the first time - - of course, I'll have to fry the Wife's. :dont:

$6.99/lb is higher than the Tilapia I've been buying but sometimes you got to pay to get the good stuff. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am

Yea, I try not to do tilapia if I can help it. Wife still gets it occasionally for fish tacos but I’ve managed to send her enough articles she doesn’t buy it as often as she used to.

Funny, she has always claimed she refused to eat “lake” fish. Still can’t get her to try crappie. Time before last she asked to try my catfish and admitted it “wasn’t bad”. Last time I look over and she was a piece and a half into the catfish and she just said “shut up, I still don’t eat lake fish.” :)

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm

U guys are killing me with the sauce and Fish Talk !

Anyone like Cod or Haddock ?
Its big up in the N.E, especially New England area.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Sooner, my oldest son's new Bride doesn't eat anything that swims :dont: Can't wait to take them to Dinner during Crawfish Season. :mrgreen:

Pocono, I have eaten Cod and I like it but haven't eaten Haddock - - - my late Minnesota Friend turned me onto Walleye and it's not bad, altho he said it was the "ONLY" fish worth eating :dont: :tdown:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Never had haddock but cod I have eaten. I liked it although pretty sure it was the frozen variety.

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Haddock and Cod are somewhat alike but not identical.
Both very white flesh, clean tasting.

Most of the time you order Fish & Chips up this way you get Haddock.

As for Talapia, love the taste but gave it up long ago after reading some articles but I miss the flavor.
For years I'd go on a Charter out of Belmar Nj with family for Night Time Jumbo Blues ( They put up a GREAT fight ).
After years of no sickness, one year I got WRECKED by it and since that night I swear Never Again will I step foot on another boat !!

Empty stomach and going beer for beer with my nephews proved me an idiot lmao...

Besides being boney, cook Bluefish the right way and they are some tasty fish.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 pm

woodenvisions wrote:As for Talapia, love the taste but gave it up long ago after reading some articles but I miss the flavor.

Empty stomach and going beer for beer with my nephews proved me an idiot lmao...

Talapia has gotten some bad press over the years and back in the early days some were true, however, they are raising them stateside and even here in Texas and they get FISH FOOD just like cats and other hatchery fish.

As far as "talking to Earrrrllll" over the transom goes,, I've had my share also. I went from looking like Dr. Red Duke to Dr. Puke and lying down was the ONLY answer. :whiteflag: :banghead:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Woody, cod and haddock being a white flakey fish, we see the cod in fish and chips down here as well. Haddock not so much. Also cod is usually in the fish counter display. Another fish you see at the fish counters down here is Orange Roughy. Very good fish it is. But cooked properly, its hard to beat good catfish fillets down here, with some fries, hush puppies, and some cole slaw, and cold cold beer. yum yum.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:13 pm

GRailsback wrote:Woody, cod and haddock being a white flakey fish, we see the cod in fish and chips down here as well. Haddock not so much. Also cod is usually in the fish counter display. Another fish you see at the fish counters down here is Orange Roughy. Very good fish it is. But cooked properly, its hard to beat good catfish fillets down here, with some fries, hush puppies, and some cole slaw, and cold cold beer. yum yum.
It does sound really good right now huh :)

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 pm

GRailsback wrote: But cooked properly, its hard to beat good catfish fillets down here, with some fries, hush puppies, and some cole slaw, and cold cold beer. yum yum.

:tup: :salut: Y'all hafta excuse G'Rails, his SUTHERN is start'n to show :cheers: :laughing7: :lol: :D
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:54 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
GRailsback wrote: But cooked properly, its hard to beat good catfish fillets down here, with some fries, hush puppies, and some cole slaw, and cold cold beer. yum yum.

:tup: :salut: Y'all hafta excuse G'Rails, his SUTHERN is start'n to show :cheers: :laughing7: :lol: :D

I agree with Greg - Catfish is hard to beat unless you can get a mess of White Perch, they are the absolute best. OUP, I'm surprised you can't find fresh local fish living on the Lake. I've read some HORRIBLE stories about that Tilapia stuff, pretty scary
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Pal, there is some around here but I haven't really searched them out. Every now and then you'll see a vendor with a tank in the back of his PU but not often enough. Also my cat skinning days are pretty much gone. :whiteflag: You know I'll bet that Majkszak's Meat Mkt. may have fresh skinned catfish fillets. :?: :scratch:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 am

I'm not really a fish person, but blue cod here is amazing. At $40 kg it's quite expensive. Yours seems cheap. I'm lucky I have a contact at Stewart island ( bottom of South Island) the colder the fish comes from is the sweetest. It's good. I do swaps.
My filleting days are over too.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “General Discussion”