A Labor Of Love ONLY

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

A Labor Of Love ONLY

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 am

I DO NOT LIKE FIGS !
OK, we got that out of the way so now you wonder why am I picking 12 + gallon zippy locks a year then :?: :dont:
The reason is my Family and some Friends at the Pharmacy and Post Office love them and I supply them with several bags a year. :cheers:
I've already picked 6 ziplocks full this season and it looks like we're gonna have a second harvest before too long.
Let's call that Harvest the Brain Boiling Bunch because it will be good and Caliente when they're ready to pick.
I've also got some briar vines infiltrating the fig tree which I am allergic to so that must be dealt with pretty soon or in the Fall.
IMG_0005.JPG

I also bake my oldest son and his M.I.L. a couple of Fig Pecan Quick Bread Loaves each season. :chef:
IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: A Labor Of Love ONLY

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 am

Make some Fig Preserves
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 pm

And we appreciate you not posing in your fig leaf attire....... 8)
tarde venientibus ossa....
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Not a fan of figs normally either. Rambo may have the right idea though. I do like fig newtons and those are basically fig preserves wrapped in shortbread. :D
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Rambo - - I don't like Fig Preserves either - - - Ex used to make it and her Daddy made it but I couldn't never learn to like it :whiteflag:
Papa Tom - - altho I did think about that, I decided very quickly that one leaf wouldn't be large enuff to pass Forum Rules :dont:
RiMShot - - I don't like Newton's either PLUS I don't even eat the Quick Bread that I make for Family and Friend :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Welp... So much for that idea, LOL
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:58 pm

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :salut:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:49 am

My Mama used to make Fig Preserves; I miss her
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Rambo - - I don't like Fig Preserves either - - - Ex used to make it and her Daddy made it but I couldn't never learn to like it :whiteflag:
Papa Tom - - altho I did think about that, I decided very quickly that one leaf wouldn't be large enuff to pass Forum Rules :dont:
RiMShot - - I don't like Newton's either PLUS I don't even eat the Quick Bread that I make for Family and Friend :roll:

One of these makes me think hip waders are required to read the forum now. I’ll let y’all decide which one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Good Stuff right there.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 am

I have a fig tree and love them. So do my daughters. This tree was a graft of a four generational tree brought to Washington by my wife’s great grandfather years ago. That in itself is pretty cool to think about. My figs are green and should be ripe pretty soon. July scheduled pick at my house along with the raspberries and strawberries.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 am

Copasspupil wrote:I have a fig tree and love them. So do my daughters. This tree was a graft of a four generational tree brought to Washington by my wife’s great grandfather years ago. That in itself is pretty cool to think about. My figs are green and should be ripe pretty soon. July scheduled pick at my house along with the raspberries and strawberries.

You'll be a jelly making ash
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am

Copasspupil wrote:I have a fig tree and love them. So do my daughters. This tree was a graft of a four generational tree brought to Washington by my wife’s great grandfather years ago. That in itself is pretty cool to think about. My figs are green and should be ripe pretty soon. July scheduled pick at my house along with the raspberries and strawberries.

WOW, fourth Generation from grafting is a reason for Pride. :salut: I honestly do wish I could develop a taste for them and I have given it a multi-year try but it ain't happening so I just sweat, pick and give away. Sent some home yesterday with the oldest Step-son who's like my own. My D.I.L offered to pick the tree yesterday and so I fixed her up with the necessary gear. She was outside in the 2pm heat picking away and I figgered I had it made until everyone else decided that they had to go eat "right then" so they called her in and we spent the rest of the day enjoying one another.

Figs are still on tree also so maybe tomorrow morning I'll go shake the limbs. :laughing7: :banghead:
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:06 am

My daughters eat them to quickly to do anything with them usually.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

This is the second "LOVE" part of the Fig Season. Making Pecan Fig Quick Bread for my oldest Son, my late D.I.L.s Mom and my Wiffy. Not the easiest Quick Bread to make but I do them for them. :tup: I'll probably make a couple more before the Season is over and then there will be no more purple in my life until next year.
IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

Return to “General Discussion”