Pondering a Stocking Stuffer

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Pondering a Stocking Stuffer

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 am

First of all let me say that I have owned and cooked on an ECB for years and I really like the way it works. HOWEVER, if I were to have to pick out a negative it would be the small 16" dia cooking surface area. Therefore, I am "only considering" possibly changing over to a 22.5 inch Weber Grill/Smoker. I want to stay with Charcoal Briquettes "period".

Now after saying all of that, I have some family members that want some ideas for my Christmas and this just came to mind and maybe they could even go in together on it. :scratch:

So do any of Y'all have a 22.5 Weber Grill/Smoker and could you give me any suggestions or advice on that Unit :?:

Thanks, :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Pondering a Stocking Stuffer

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:09 am

Are talking Kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain?

I do all of my grilling on my 22.5 Kettle and have smoked turkeys and ribs using foil and a charcoal basket. Very versatile cookers that last forever. I strongly recommend for anyone looking at charcoal.

This accessory is on my Christmas list. It looks like it will make true low and slow much easier on the Kettle. Sometimes I hate to fire Blue up for just one rack of ribs or a chicken.
https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:30 am

Also for smaller gift ideas Weber makes a ton of accessories:

Charcoal baskets
Tool hangers
Grill grates
Pizza kits

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:51 am

Oops sorry Sooner, I was yappin about the Smokey Mtn and mainly because the design is very similar to the ECB that I'm used to. That just seems to work well for me over the years. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 am

Heard nothing but great things about the WSM either. I considered picking up one of the smaller ones for camping at one point. Still watch Craigslist to see if one pops up for cheap.

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Even though I don't have a WSM, OUP, I was looking at it a while ago for the same reason you are: larger grill area.

I decided I can get by with what I have for now (an ECB & a 22" Weber Kettle). However, if my ECB gives up the ghost, I'd go for a WSM myself (and not have to do all the mods that the ECB needed).

The 22" WSM seems a safe choice to me.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Professor, that's also probably what I'll do but Christmas is a time for wishing and dreaming :santa:
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:46 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Professor, that's also probably what I'll do but Christmas is a time for wishing and dreaming :santa:

I know & I hope you find one under (or nearby) your tree. :D

Return to “General Discussion”