Type of Smoker

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

neumsky USER_AVATAR
Neumsky
Pilgrim

Type of Smoker

Postby Neumsky » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello all...I'm looking for some advice from some who have owned a variety of smokers...someone who can steer me in the direction of my next purchase. I'm 62...& this will probably be my last smoker choice. See...I've had a coupala stick burners...20 inch horizon & Yoder. My latest OWN is a large green egg. Now I've heard that one can't get a better smoke than on a offset. Yes a pellet is a consideration but have no experience with them. Thanx in advance...y'all are great...Jeff :dont:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Type of Smoker

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 pm

This question is worse than "Fat side up?".
Folks jump in with their personal beliefs that are infallible.
I'd say go with your personal experience something you are more comfortable with.

Me, I like my sleep.......and BBQ.
tarde venientibus ossa....
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 am

You just can't beat the flavor of meat smoked with oak in an offset, BUT somebody needs to watch the thing cook for half a day more or less.
I have an offset, a Kamado and a pellet spitter.
The last two are pretty much set and forget but the meat they produce is not as good as that produced in an offset burning seasoned oak.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:12 am

Do you still have your offsets, or are they gone? If gone, was there a reason?

I ask, because if they're gone for a reason, if you get another, the same reason will come back. Unless it was out of necessity, of course.

While I don't have a kamado, I have a kettle, a gasser, a big offset, and a pellet pooper, much to my wife's chagrin. To be quite honest, I use all of them for different things, and they all excel at different things.

As Papa Tom said, you're going to get wide and varying opinions on this, and people will stick to their beliefs regardless. So, to get the best idea, I have to ask, what's your intent with the cooker?

If you're looking for easy and low maintenance, go with a pellet grill. If you like the experience of tending a fire all day and cooking over real wood, go with an offset. To be quite honest, you can make some darned good 'cue with your egg. So, from my perspective, it all comes down to your goals and what you're hoping to accomplish.

That being said, whatever you decide, we love pictures and will want to see it and your cooks!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 am

Wait, no one said ECB or Ugly Drum? :laughing7:
Moink!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Wait, no one said ECB or Ugly Drum? :laughing7:

Or cinder block :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 pm

OK I'll jump off the neutral fence and say NO to ECB......they really suck. UDS is much better.
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Can a Pit Barrel Cooker get a mention?? Easy to use and I know the flavor is different than a stick burning offset but it still produces some dang fine food and does it pretty easily!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 pm

I haven't had quite the variety of pits others have had but I've considered most of them at one point or another. I keep coming back to an offset for the flavor, the hands on experience and frankly - the challenge. Smoking is entertainment to me and I enjoy the whole process from meat selection to preparation to cooking and finally, consuming. As far as "getting some sleep"... well, that's what the oven is for after some choice smoke for a few hours. There - I said it - so clip a corner off my man-card. As noted in my sig line I now have the perfect pit for me and don't ever see changing or chasing the newest fad. This may not answer the O/P's question but this set-up works for me. :chef:

BTW.... Everyone knows it's fat cap down. :banghead:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
neumsky USER_AVATAR
Neumsky
Pilgrim

Postby Neumsky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Papa Tom wrote:This question is worse than "Fat side up?".
Folks jump in with their personal beliefs that are infallible.
I'd say go with your personal experience something you are more comfortable with.

Me, I like my sleep.......and BBQ.

Figured it would be a difficult question...as far as the fat side up...it used to be a fact...now I'm not so sure anymore! :whiteflag:
neumsky USER_AVATAR
Neumsky
Pilgrim

Postby Neumsky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Chasdev wrote:You just can't beat the flavor of meat smoked with oak in an offset, BUT somebody needs to watch the thing cook for half a day more or less.
I have an offset, a Kamado and a pellet spitter.
The last two are pretty much set and forget but the meat they produce is not as good as that produced in an offset burning seasoned oak.

TY...I'm getting confirmation here! :wav:
neumsky USER_AVATAR
Neumsky
Pilgrim

Postby Neumsky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 pm

TX1911 wrote:Do you still have your offsets, or are they gone? If gone, was there a reason?

I ask, because if they're gone for a reason, if you get another, the same reason will come back. Unless it was out of necessity, of course.

While I don't have a kamado, I have a kettle, a gasser, a big offset, and a pellet pooper, much to my wife's chagrin. To be quite honest, I use all of them for different things, and they all excel at different things.

As Papa Tom said, you're going to get wide and varying opinions on this, and people will stick to their beliefs regardless. So, to get the best idea, I have to ask, what's your intent with the cooker?

If you're looking for easy and low maintenance, go with a pellet grill. If you like the experience of tending a fire all day and cooking over real wood, go with an offset. To be quite honest, you can make some darned good 'cue with your egg. So, from my perspective, it all comes down to your goals and what you're hoping to accomplish.

That being said, whatever you decide, we love pictures and will want to see it and your cooks!

The only thing I have left is the egg. Yes they are gone because of the work involved...maybe not so much as the maintaining of the fire...but the rust issue. I'm still up in the air on paint or oil on the exterior. I've owned 3 eggs now...& yes...you can get some great cue off them...but I'm not seeing or remembering it being quite as good. TY
neumsky USER_AVATAR
Neumsky
Pilgrim

Postby Neumsky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:14 pm

image.jpeg

This is my egg with the table I built.
neumsky USER_AVATAR
Neumsky
Pilgrim

Postby Neumsky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:I haven't had quite the variety of pits others have had but I've considered most of them at one point or another. I keep coming back to an offset for the flavor, the hands on experience and frankly - the challenge. Smoking is entertainment to me and I enjoy the whole process from meat selection to preparation to cooking and finally, consuming. As far as "getting some sleep"... well, that's what the oven is for after some choice smoke for a few hours. There - I said it - so clip a corner off my man-card. As noted in my sig line I now have the perfect pit for me and don't ever see changing or chasing the newest fad. This may not answer the O/P's question but this set-up works for me. :chef:

BTW.... Everyone knows it's fat cap down. :banghead:

Yes...you said it...the challenge! And thanx for the oven tip! On a serious note...I always thought FC up?!

Return to “General Discussion”