Poor taste?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Poor taste?

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 am

Alright, I wanted the general consensus from y'all.

Due to some (slight) pressure from some immediate neighbors, I agreed to set up a block party and BBQ for this Saturday. Most folks are bringing a side dish, but I'm providing and cooking all of the meat. Right now, we're at 112 confirmed attendees.

So, to my question.

Would it be poor taste to put out a "if you're willing to chip in and help pay for the meat, it's appreciated" box?

My wife says I need to do it because she doesn't want to foot the entire bill.

I don't want to look like I'm trying to make money on it or anything.

:dont:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Poor taste?

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:09 am

I don't think accepting money to help defray the cost is bad…however, it would probably be better to have that conversation during the planning stage. Showing up to a surprise donation box can make people feel a little uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:32 am

I see no prob HOWEVER, I would provide the "LARGE" jar at a GOOD location with no label or anything BUT maybe just throw in a few green backs to make it obvious - - - - they don't need to know that it's your money - - - so many times Folks just FORGET where if reminded they would have gladly donated so the jar with $$$ is just a casual REMINDER :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:40 am

I have a "tip jar" for the cook off. We put it out for donations to Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

It's a lockable box, but I can put an 8.5x11 page above it. The original idea (again, my wife's), was to put a sheet in there that said something like:

Thank you for coming to the BBQ! Please don't feel obligated, but if you're willing to chip in to offset the cost of the meat and fuel, it would be appreciated.

I'm still not sold on the idea.

But, that whole "happy wife" thing....
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Did you agree to provide the meat in your initial conversations with the immediate neighbors?
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 am

TX1911 wrote:I have a "tip jar" for the cook off. We put it out for donations to Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

It's a lockable box, but I can put an 8.5x11 page above it. The original idea (again, my wife's), was to put a sheet in there that said something like:

Thank you for coming to the BBQ! Please don't feel obligated, but if you're willing to chip in to offset the cost of the meat and fuel, it would be appreciated.

I'm still not sold on the idea.

But, that whole "happy wife" thing....

Knowing the time, money and effort involved, we're usually happy to do it when someone asks for donations like that.
Moink!
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:13 am

GRailsback wrote:Did you agree to provide the meat in your initial conversations with the immediate neighbors?

Therein lies the problem. The initial discussion was with 4 families. No one expected it to grow to over 25.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am

Solution is easy, tell them you will bring enough to feed four families, they bring the rest of the meat OR help pay for the difference..
You could go buy the lowest cost Wallmart hamburger meat in a tube...
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 am

What is poor taste IMO is for 112 people to show up and NOT pay. Geeze. :whiteflag:

Any way you handle it would b fine with me - cooking for 100 + is work. :salut:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:34 am

I understand, typically on something that large you would include the donation language in the invite. But it appears that it grew into a monster from neighborhood chatter. So I don't think you would be out of line putting out a donation box. But like you, that stuff makes me uncomfortable when it isn't in place from the start.

A year ago this past April, there was some significant flooding in the Houston, (Cypress area). And the back part of my neighborhood got hit pretty hard. So after the water receded, I put out a notice to the neighborhood that I was going to come back there and cook BBQ for all of the residents of the neighborhood for free. Which I did, and ended up feeding about 130 to 150. What I didn't know, is that the leadership of the neighborhood came in behind em and put out a request for donations. Of which they accepted and tried to give to me. I did not accept the money, I told them to dedicate it to the mosquito spraying budget for the neighborhood.

So I understand your delima, it turned into a monster. And now how do you deal with it. Not only to please the wife, but what it the right thing to do.

I think you will be fine if you put out a jar.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

too bad you're not having some live entertainment - - - - cause that's what they do best especially when they have a mic to get 100% attention - - - - besides that, who knows ?who? put that jar there anyhow - - - could very well be a kind idea from a caring neighbor ?right? :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm

I like your style Em!
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:25 pm

I also have a similar problem, we have a dinner club that go out 1st wed of every month. There's about 14 people. So we go out and pay each couple as we go. My dilemma is similar to you. About 5 years ago for some reason the Christmas meal ended up at my house and I cooked and paid for all the food and did a 3 course meal for everyone. Last meeting everyone said we should have our Christmas one at my house again. My wife said the same, said we aren't stumping up for that much food again. She decided she will send out an e mail to everyone closer to the time saying its $20 a head, we normally spend $40 approx a head when we pay. I think that's a simple way to help with the food.
I also like your idea of a tin, and I think it's ideal for what you are doing. Unless you guys all communicate by e mail like my wife does. Then I would do the e mail thingy.
Good luck with that many to cook for, and keep pics please.look forward to seeing pics of your neighbours.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 am

Yes..... set out a jar for donations. I'd be obvious about it and making sure it's labeled "tips" or "donation if you like the food". Just be sure you're not "charging" for the meal lest you run afoul of the Health Department.

Best of luck with the cook. 100+ people to feed is a lot of work.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks y'all. One of the neighbors offered to make some rounds with the jar and ask for tips.

A great idea from a great man.
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum

Return to “General Discussion”