Ants in the BBQ Grills

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Ants in the BBQ Grills

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:14 am

Although we have a major black/crazy ant problem in this Subdivision, I have managed to avoid them invading my Grills/Pits when not in use. However, they seem to have found it and moved into my Kettle and ECB. I have been managed them pretty well with Ortho Home Defense so far but I may need "reinforcements" now.

Doesn't any of Y'all have a spray or dust that you feel safe in using around your BBQ equipment :?:

Thanks as always for any and all :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Ants in the BBQ Grills

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:30 am

Spearmint or peppermint and cayenne pepper irritate them.
I know this all too well, we had a major ant problem years ago..
It works
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:32 am

I know ants don't like molasses but it doesn't really work if you have dogs or cats. I spent 5 bucks on a bottle of molasses once and poured it around a gas grill I had and it kept the ants out. But then the dog walked in it then ran in the house. :shock: :banghead:
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:34 am

A Pear Burner works everytime 8)

Ric G.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:15 am

OUP is afraid of propane. :shock: I'd light them up with my weed burner.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

I hear Barbecued Ants are good eating,...their just hard to keep from falling through grill :lol:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:OUP is afraid of propane. :shock: I'd light them up with my weed burner.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:OUP is afraid of propane. :shock: I'd light them up with my weed burner.

:laughing7: :D :lol: OK, I deserved that but it ain't me that's got the spooks (at least not for Propane) :whiteflag: It's that other Gas that bothers me :laughing7: :D :lol:

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I hear Barbecued Ants are good eating,...their just hard to keep from falling through grill :lol:

Maybe some stainless water well screen would prevent that but how'da heck am I gonna get bacon to wrap around them :?: :dont: :laughing7:

W V, can you buy peppermint and spearmint in any form other than Gum ?

Fin, my only problem would be getting the Cats unstuck from the top of the Oak Trees. :laughing7: :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:46 pm

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Ants in the BBQ Grills

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:[quote="Okie Sawbones"]OUP is afraid of propane. :shock: I'd light them up with my weed burner.

:laughing7: :D :lol: OK, I deserved that but it ain't me that's got the spooks (at least not for Propane) :whiteflag: It's that other Gas that bothers me :laughing7: :D :lol:

[quote="TwoGuysBBQ"]I hear Barbecued Ants are good eating,...their just hard to keep from falling through grill :lol:[/quote]

Maybe some stainless water well screen would prevent that but how'da heck am I gonna get bacon to wrap around them :?: :dont: :laughing7:

W V, can you buy peppermint and spearmint in any form other than Gum ?

Fin, my only problem would be getting the Cats unstuck from the top of the Oak Trees. :laughing7: :lol:[/quote]
Yes u can get either plant leaves from ur supermarket or peppermint oil.

Both work well.
Stick some Kleenex in the corners with some eye drops of the oil on them or just put the leaves in there.

Cayenne works very good as well.
No chemicals and smells good
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 pm

I poured cayenne behind the electric baseboards and made short work of them occupying our living room.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:11 pm

This is really weird but works 100% and has the added benefit of killing fire ant mounds cold dead. Not cheap, but then again, not a bunch of nasty chemicals either (outside of citric acid). Wife and I have been wiping out fire ant mounds out on the Firefly with it all week. I have also substituted lemon juice for the orange oil effectively and you can get that by the gallon pretty cheap on the internet it looks like.

1 Gal water
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 fish emulsion or compost tea or Garrett Juice
1/2 cup orange oil.

Mix thoroughly, and for fire ants, slowly soak the whole mound or as a shield, just pour out over the area to be "off limits"
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks Boots, however, these are not fire ants. Actually, I am told that they eat fire ants therefore we don't have a fire ant problem just a black ant/crazy ant problem. Plus they don't have a mound as such so the exterminators just spray what they can see traveling on the property. A lot of us have tried to get the Subd ASSoc to justify having them Commercially Exterminated on a LARGE SCALE Process but they won't agree to it. As with most insects, if everyone doesn't follow suit then one or two people WON'T make a difference. :( :roll: :dont: :banghead:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Yep, every year I wipe out the fire ants on my place and every year they come back via the neighbor's place, but I don't want them eating us or the horse alive so I do what I can. Plus, I tend to stay away from the chemicals because I don't want to wipe out my velvet wasps, cicada killers, or tarantulas that roam the place.

Just thought of this, mebbe you can rub the legs down on your cooker with something the ants can handle - tabasco or vinegar or something.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Boots wrote: Just thought of this, mebbe you can rub the legs down on your cooker with something the ants can handle - tabasco or vinegar or something.

Perfect :tup: I was thinking square feet of floor/ground area and this is really all I need to do. :salut:

Return to “General Discussion”