Need help

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Need help

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:51 am

That's what we're talkin bout right there !!

So, how do u like the Akorn after your first endeavor??
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:45 pm

If POWER doesn't get an A+ this semester then someone is tampering with the register :laughing7: :D :lol: - - - that's an awesome first cook on a new Toy - - - Congrats, Power :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Power
Pilgrim

Postby Power » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:31 pm

First cook was good, but the wife said it tasted like bushfire, tooo much hickory? Also i did the first 3 hours with the deflector and foil pan, then last hour removed the deflector and i poured the fat juices from the foil pan overs the shanks, then heaps of smoke came up! So maybe that was the cause? Any way i liked it so did our dogs

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Ok , few things here.
First, what temps were you using during the time u were using the smoking/pizza stone ?
Were they consistent or fluctuating ?
That stone should only be used for low and slow in the lower position ( under ) the cast grate between 225 and 300 degrees.

For pizza, on ( top ) of the grate for 600 to 700 degree cooks.

As for fuel, we're you using lump ? ( which is recommended ) for Akorns How many pieces of hickory ? Remember, hickory and mesquite tend to be strong.
I would use only Apple for pork and chicken but that's just my opinion.
Also, I'm thinking the juices u poured in hit the hot coals and that will definitely cause flare ups and give you a nasty nasty creosote taste.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Looked like the fire in the first pic there was the lump log things. Maybe the B&B competition log? It may be hard to determine what "brushfire" meant, but I would say that it may have been because it was the very first cook on the grill, or really, REALLY dry wood. I always dump spare drip pan drippings into the fire, it never gives bad juju. Only way for it to turn out bad is if you dump too much at once, or pour on a freshly stoked fire.
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Need help

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Txdragon wrote:Looked like the fire in the first pic there was the lump log things. Maybe the B&B competition log? It may be hard to determine what "brushfire" meant, but I would say that it may have been because it was the very first cook on the grill, or really, REALLY dry wood. I always dump spare drip pan drippings into the fire, it never gives bad juju. Only way for it to turn out bad is if you dump too much at once, or pour on a freshly stoked fire.

Yeah Tex,

I'm betting the coals were too hot when the juices hit them.
I have that exact cooker and I've had that issue depending on how hot the coals were.
Power, I would grab urself a bag of Royal Oak natural lump.
I've never ever had any problems with that brand of lump.
Power
Pilgrim

Postby Power » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Used 3 blocks of weber hickory chunks! Bushfire = as in a real smokey taste! First 4 hours temp was 210 225!Image

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok, only because I use mine weekly, sometimes 4 days a week I will suggest 3 things.

First, use only 1 chunk.
Secondly, I wouldn't try smoking with a 210 225 range.

I would shoot for 250.

And lastly, switch over to Royal Oak lump ( if ) those first two suggestions don't work.

I'm sure you had too much wood at too low of a temp.

Also, don't rely on that stock temp gauge either. If u get the Maverick, trust that before the one on the Akorn.
Last edited by woodenvisions on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power
Pilgrim

Postby Power » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Cheers for that, never seen royal oak here in Australia, and most of the imported charcoal is $$$. Most people where i live use Mallee roots charcoal, so i might buy a sack of that!

Power
Pilgrim

Postby Power » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:26 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Ok, only because I use mine weekly, sometimes 4 days a week I will suggest 3 things.

First, use only 1 chunk.

I would shoot for 250.

And lastly, switch over to Royal Oak lump ( if ) those first two suggestions don't work.

So smoke at 250 for all low slow cooks?
And if i can find cheery or apple chunks should i try that, or stick with Hickory?
And lastly if iam to cook a full chicken tonight for practice sake, (deflector plate out) what temp and approx how long? And would i use a foil pan or let juices hit the fire?
Cheers

woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Power wrote:Cheers for that, never seen royal oak here in Australia, and most of the imported charcoal is $$$. Most people where i live use Mallee roots charcoal, so i might buy a sack of that!

Ok I understand.
I would definitely stay with a lump tho, not briquettes.

No worries, u'll figure it out. It just takes time to dial it in. Once u do, you will all love the grub that comes off that cooker.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need help

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:12 am

Power wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]Ok, only because I use mine weekly, sometimes 4 days a week I will suggest 3 things.

First, use only 1 chunk.

I would shoot for 250.

So smoke at 250 for all low slow cooks?
And if i can find cheery or apple chunks should i try that, or stick with Hickory?
And lastly if iam to cook a full chicken tonight for practice sake, (deflector plate out) what temp and approx how long? And would i use a foil pan or let juices hit the fire?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk[/quote]
Sorry, just saw this.

I find it easier to hold a ( clean ) fire/smoke at 250/275 over 225, especially on your cooker. Besides, I honestly believe that the outcome will be no different between 225/250 ( at least this is what I have noticed ).

As for a full chicken, I always do a few things First.

1 : Brine your bird overnight.
2 : Rinse it well and pat it dry and put it back in the fridge for a good hour or two Uncovered.. ( this seems to help the skin get crisp when cooking.
3 : use a good rub ( Suckle Busters Hog Waller never fails.
4 : If you can, use the beer can chicken process. ( basically a 1/2 can of good beer left in the can up the back end of the birds ( can ) standing up. Not sure if you have Home Depots or Lowe's in your area, but they carry can holders that work Excellent...
If not, most ( Ace Hardwares ) will have them.
5 : If you want to smoke the whole bird, I would shoot for about 275 degrees, if it hits 300 no worries. But try to stay in that range. Use an internal temp probe to monitor bird temp.Make sure you use the stone as the deflector in the lower area where it sits in the 3 tabs. Remember, only light a few coals and try cherry or apple, No hickory or mesquite for this cook. I myself prefer Apple and I think you and your family will as well.

If you want to just grill it, shoot for 375 Without the stone. ( I would try smoking it tho )

As for a drip pan, yes absolutely.
Put that directly on top of the stone. It will fit between the stone and the cast grate that you have your bird on.

Now, I always crank up the heat by opening the vents up about 3/4 of the way when the internal temp gets to about 140 or so. This will help crisp up the skin ( I HATE soggy skin ).
I also pull the bird at 170 because I'm funny about poultry.
I know 165 is the norm, but I've never ever had a dry bird at 170.

Now when ur done, let it rest 10 min or so ( uncovered ).
If u foil it, you will undo ur effort to crisp the skin.

Good luck and keep in mind Rome wasn't built in a day. Every cook will get better and better.

For your first cook you posted before, you did way better than most of us lol.
Last edited by woodenvisions on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:53 am

If I may add a couple of pics of my 2 beer can chicken stands to W Vs very nice BBC Tutorial :salut:

I have had this one for many many years and I prefer it to the more modern one that my son gave me. I just set it in an old mini-skillet from my Boy Scout Camp Kit and it cleans up nicely.
IMG_0052.JPG

This is the one my son gave me and, even tho the handles are very nice for removing it, they require a larger pan to sit in. IMHO, with the larger pan you don't get the continuous underneath smoke saturation and coverage that the old one gives you.
IMG_0053.JPG

Power, I imagine that you can get these online without a problem - - - - Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:22 am

OldUsedParts wrote:If I may add a couple of pics of my 2 beer can chicken stands to W Vs very nice BBC Tutorial :salut:

I have had this one for many many years and I prefer it to the more modern one that my son gave me. I just set it in an old mini-skillet from my Boy Scout Camp Kit and it cleans up nicely.
IMG_0052.JPG

This is the one my son gave me and, even tho the handles are very nice for removing it, they require a larger pan to sit in. IMHO, with the larger pan you don't get the continuous underneath smoke saturation and coverage that the old one gives you.
IMG_0053.JPG

Power, I imagine that you can get these online without a problem - - - - Good Luck :tup:

I love looking at home made solutions as to store bought items.
Very cool OUP, I'm sure it works like a charm :) :) :)
Lol, reminds me of a MONSTER snow storm ( it's cold white flaky stuff ) that falls from the sky and causes havoc on the roads for you lucky Texans lol !!

Didn't own a snowblower at the time so my buddy came over with his. Well, we have a stone driveway and I picked up a huge rock, came up thru the lower ( metal ) chute and out thru ( yes, right thru ) the top plastic chute :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ...

So.....I had to MacGuyver a top chute. After looking everywhere, I noticed my old license plate from my trailer just looking at me lol..

Worked like a charm, rocks bounced off that plate for 30 minutes, sounded like a large popcorn maker in our driveway at 9 pm
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:27 am

W V, us Car Nuts :roll: call that F_F_F_F_F_F_F_Fabricatn' - - - don't tell anyone but I made a large picture frame out of wood from the old boys restroom that sat in our pasture from the old school house next door - - - OH,, it hadn't been used for many years - - - the restroom either :laughing7: :D :lol:

OOPS, we've done it again ain't we :?: :whiteflag: :dont: :shock: :scratch: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”