Good Wood in DFW?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Good Wood in DFW?

Postby Dirty Dawg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Anyone know wher I can get good post oak DFW? I'm willing to pay a little more for quality, well seasoned, cooking quality (not wormy or rotten) splits.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Good Wood in DFW?

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Arnold BROS in Irving sells cooking woods. They supply a bunch of the restaurants in the area. Don't think they have post oak but they do sell oak (might be white). I've used it, it's good cooking wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
dirty dawg USER_AVATAR
Dirty Dawg
Pilgrim

Postby Dirty Dawg » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:44 am

Thanks for the info, they look good and not too far for pickup. Now I'm wondering, with a 22" firebox, would I be best off with 12-14 inch splits or 16-18 inch?
Debra Foster
Pilgrim

Postby Debra Foster » Tue May 24, 2016 6:52 am

In an old fashioned hardware store. They have everything. or check out an outdors store that has camping equipment. Also Wal Mart has it.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Academy carries a number of different kinds of cook woods these days, and I have been satisfied with the quality.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
NTSMOKER
Pilgrim

Postby NTSMOKER » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Howdy,

I live in Bedford and have a lot of seasoned and unseasoned post oak for sale. Its all split and we sell to the local smokers around here.
My email is Austin@austinkillian.com
Hoop
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Good Wood in DFW?

Postby Hoop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:29 pm

NTSMOKER wrote:Howdy,

I live in Bedford and have a lot of seasoned and unseasoned post oak for sale. Its all split and we sell to the local smokers around here.
My email is Austin@austinkillian.com

I picked up some wood from Austins place a month or two back. Got some post oak and pecan, great price, all seasoned just like I requested. Good guy to do bidness with, he even threw in a few pieces of fruit wood.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm

that's some good looking wood Hoop
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 pm

FYI - I don't know if you have a Big Lot's near you but I picked up a little cheap wood rack from them for $19. I use it for fire wood during the winter months but when I saw your setup there I thought of it for you.
Hoop
Pilgrim

Postby Hoop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Rambo wrote:FYI - I don't know if you have a Big Lot's near you but I picked up a little cheap wood rack from them for $19. I use it for fire wood during the winter months but when I saw your setup there I thought of it for you.
Thank ya sir, I will certainly look into it, there is a big lots up the street from me. Its on a home made wood rack now, but the rack only sits about 2-3 inches off the ground and have read it needs to be at least 4 inches for ideal airflow. I would also like to have side support bars to make stacking easier/more ideal and this current home made one doesn't have em

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Hoop wrote:
Rambo wrote:FYI - I don't know if you have a Big Lot's near you but I picked up a little cheap wood rack from them for $19. I use it for fire wood during the winter months but when I saw your setup there I thought of it for you.
Thank ya sir, I will certainly look into it, there is a big lots up the street from me. Its on a home made wood rack now, but the rack only sits about 2-3 inches off the ground and have read it needs to be at least 4 inches for ideal airflow. I would also like to have side support bars to make stacking easier/more ideal and this current home made one doesn't have em

this one does have the clearance and side support bars I'm guessing 42-48". you might have to wait until the fall before they stock them however.

Return to “General Discussion”