Knives?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Knives?

Postby DJ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Forschner......Bought them from a guy on here, (first name Mike) but his handle escapes me just now....Anyway, I Love Them and they wern't too pricey
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
jumbo
Pilgrim

Knives?

Postby jumbo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:18 pm

You want damascus, look at shun. If you want a really good knife with the damascus look but not the price, calphalon's katana is the ticket. Great knife with solid balance and holds a good edge (until your kid uses it to cut up a cardboard box).

Im hooked on my globals though. But wouldnt even consider taking them to a cookoff.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 am

jumbo wrote:You want damascus, look at shun. If you want a really good knife with the damascus look but not the price, calphalon's katana is the ticket. Great knife with solid balance and holds a good edge (until your kid uses it to cut up a cardboard box).

Im hooked on my globals though. But wouldnt even consider taking them to a cookoff.

I have the Calphalon Katana. It's heavy, but not too heavy for me. Plus it looks kewl.
Moink!
Purpahurl
Pilgrim

Postby Purpahurl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:19 pm

I love Old Hickory knives for everyday butchering needs. They will rust if not maintained properly. I have a few that are 50 plus years old. I have a German Wustof Trident chefs knife that is great. Dexter makes a great knife for the money.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Have 6 Dexters and been using them for like at least10-12 years, awesome knives. I carry three to the cook offs, 1 for ribs 1 for chicken and the long slicer for brisket.
At home i have been using the Sams cheapos more and more so that I'm starting to like them more than the Dexters, really are good knives for the money, just keep that edge and they work good on anything. Have a set of Cutcos to, pretty much over priced over rated plain old knives imo, poorly balanced and lousy handles or maybe its my hands but all the others feel fine.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “General Discussion”