Dilorio Farms Market

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bob n humble USER_AVATAR
bob n humble
Wrangler

Dilorio Farms Market

Postby bob n humble » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:01 am

Coming back from Sommerville Sunday we had to stop by Dilorio's in Hemstead. They have some of the best produce around. They grow alot of it, but they bring it in as well. We had to pick up some Hempstead Watermellons. They also had some Georgia peaches and some Texas Freestone County peaches. Everybody talkes about how good the Georgia peaches are. Figured I would do a sde by side test. Well the Georgia was real good but it was a little riper than the FreeStone. Now that the Freestone has ripened Its just as good as the Georgia and about 1 1/2 times the size. So Texas Wins again. I know the Hempstead Mellon would pass the same test as well.They also had some California peaches. Them suckers were the size of Grapefruits. Didn't get any of them. Also bought some raw Peanuts. Roasted them in the oven came out great. Gonna make some homemade peanut butter with part of them. If you have never been there stop the next time through Hempstead. Not only do they sell produce they sell BBQ to. Its smoked right there on the pit at the front of the market. One of the guys that run the whole thing is a Competition cooker as well. Some of ya may know the team. The team name is The Texan Cookers. I guess I have rambled enough.
Bob
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:58 am

Thanks for the tip Bob and I agree with you on the Texas peaches. I picked up a 1/2 bushel yesterday on my way home - oh so good.

Ditto on watermelons.

The one thing I love that Texas cant do - fresh cherries. MAn they are great this time of year.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Allie

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:52 am

I'm jealous! I can't get raw peanuts here. How I'd love to get my hands on some green ones and boil them up!

I am from Georgia and everyone is amazed when I inform them that I don't like peaches. We'd go to the peach orchard with my grandmother to pick a trunkload full for pickled peaches, jelly, and cobblers. The owner would always pick out the largest peaches to give my sister and me. These things were like softballs. It would break his heart when my mom would tell him I wouldn't eat it.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24 pm

I never could eat peaches, either. Somethin' 'bout eatin fruit that needed a shave worse'n I did.

One thing my kids did last week was take a trip out to Edom to pick blueberries. It's become a tradition, although the youngest likes picking the pink ones. :wink: These berries make the best pancakes and muffins, and are great just bythemselves.

http://www.blueberryhillfarms.com/
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen

Return to “General Discussion”