Help me with this Dream!

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Help me with this Dream!

Postby copkid » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Okay.
First of all, my apologies to those who have heard my story before. I don't mean to sound like a broken record!
9 years ago, April, 1998, my father, Indiana Conservation Officer, 1st Sgt. Karl Kelley died in the line of duty while attempting to save two fellow Officers from the boils of a darn during a training exercise.
I just watched as our most recent Officer in Indiana, State Trooper David Rich, was buried, as last week, he stopped to help what he thought was a stranded motorist, and the young man opened fire on him and killed him with a single shot to the chest and then killed himself. Trooper Rich left behind a wife, an 8year old, and twin 4 year olds. Every day, I thank God that I had my Dad for 34 years.
As I come closer to the 10 year anniversary of my Dads death, I truly am trying to come up with an annual fundraiser that I can hold in his name that will somehow benefit the children of fallen Officers.
My Dad loved BBQ, and in the last two years, low and slow has become my passion and salvation! When I want to put my fist through a wall, because I miss him so much, I go and fire up the grill!
Help me to know where to start! I want to start an annual BBQ contest, and have absolutely no idea where to start! Who do I talk too? What kind of regulations will I have to go by?
I want the proceeds to go towards a scholarship somehow. Maybe even children/teens who want to pursue college degrees towards law enforcement, etc.
Any help you can give me to get started, would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for listening!!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
sucklebuster USER_AVATAR
SuckleBuster
Pilgrim

Postby SuckleBuster » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:44 pm

I think this is a great idea!

Do you have a local BBQ Association? I know a lot of the local BBQ Association cookoffs are held for a particular benefit/charity here in Texas...Bob in Humble could chime in here...Big Wheel, others?
Last edited by SuckleBuster on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:45 pm

As for as rules and setups, you can contact KCBS and they have a packet with rules and info for how to get a contest started. :D After that I would contact local organizations. You would not have to have a sanctioned contest if you didn't want to, but the info is a place to start. :D There is a link to their site on my web site in the links section. :D
Jim
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:11 pm

I agree with Jim.... Contact KSBS and I am sure that they can help.

I know that I am 1,000 miles away, but if you need anything that I can do from here, be sure to let me know!!!

I will PM you later when I get to work.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:00 pm

Thanks ya'll! I'm checking out the KCBS site as we speak! I've been mulling this over for over two years, and it's time I took action!
laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:46 pm

Let me know what I can do. I'll be there to cook, judge or lend a hand.

KCBS probably would be a good place to start.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:44 pm

sounds like a great idea Laura, who knows, an annual "fallen officer" Q contest might spark some real interest. Like everyone else said, check out the KCBS and you can get some ideas from there. Sometimes getting associated with a VFW or a place like that for a comp site, they might be willing to offer their parking lot or land for the comp site.
Allie

Postby Allie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:35 pm

I don't really have any advice for you, Laura on doing this but wanted to comment. I knew David Rich when I lived in N. Manchester. Les's brother had some issues with a carwash he had and one night we spent a few hours with some officers trying to resolve it. He was one of those officers. Les's brother knew him quite well and had talked to him quite a few times around town and during this issue he had. We read about his tragic death in the paper while camping this weekend and all of us were shocked and saddened.

I think that doing a memorial for fallen officers is a wonderful idea. I wish you much success in being able to pull it off and please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you here in my area!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:35 pm

Best bet would be check with some of your local poleece agencies and try to get them riled up about. You get a chief or two on your side..it be a done deal. Also...don't forget you could put on an IBCA or LSBS event up there too. Go to their websites and read up a bit..drop them an email etc. Would venture to say it much easier to have one if you can get them to sanction it as opposed the KCBS marlarky. Fact is you could follow all there rules but dont even mess with getting it sanctioned. You do a good job the first year or two you will get calls from them begging you to let them handle it. Just guessing of course:) It be easier than falling off a log to have one. Just start working on getting them doughnut munchers excited about it. Strange thangs is liable to happen:)

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:54 am

Laura, how goes the quest?? :D :D
Jim
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:39 am

OSD wrote:Laura, how goes the quest?? :D :D

Still working on it. We've been doing a ton of summer cleaning around the house, replacing some sinks, faucets, etc. , so I haven't been able to really sit down and start on it heavy! :(

BW: Can you or someone send me links to those websites you mentioned?
Everyone has given me some great ideas!

Allie: David Rich was a good guy from what I've heard. He was close to my age, and I feel so bad for his wife and kids. At least I had my Dad for 34 years! We've actually had FOUR Troopers hit by cars in the last 2 weeks! :x

Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 am

The links you want are on the links page of my website. :D :D
Jim
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:09 pm

OSD wrote:The links you want are on the links page of my website. :D :D

Cool! Thanks bro!!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Return to “General Discussion”