What I did on my summer vacation.

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

What I did on my summer vacation.

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:52 pm

Well, it's good to be back, but I sure didn't like cleanin' up the messes at work. :evil:

First, we left the 27th to drive up to the Nebraska panhandle, about 900 miles. We took a couple of days, and the baby did very well, much better than we expected. You just had to understand she was *done* about 5pm.

Friday the 29th was a Classic Crusin' night for KSID radio in Sidney. There were a *ton* of cool old cars, and everyone got involved.

ImageImageImageImageImage

I mean *everyone*! :wink:

ImageImageImage

I think we won for the most folks in one truck. What do you think?

Saturday was the actual reunion. My kids met the family for the first time, and I saw cousins I hadn't seen for years. I won't bore y'all with the details, but how 'bout some shots of lunch? Being of "gut German schtock" we had quite a spread. Burgers, dogs, and brats, plus one long table for the sides and another one for desserts!

ImageImageImage

The next day we went to my Uncle's farm for just the immediate families. If you're not used to the scenery, it's flat, but very pretty in it's own way. Karen laughed when I told her "if you see a tree, that means a building is there," but she understood when she finally got a good look around. It never fails to amaze me when I see an old farm surrounded by crops. I always wonder what happend that they left the buildings, and why folks never moved in or tore them down.

ImageImageImage

My wife didn't believe me when I told her about the storms. This one blew up in about 45 minutes. Initially my aunt didn't believe us when we told her someone was getting some stuff. Turns out Kimball was getting lightning at that moment.

And, since this is another reunion, we gotta have another spread.

On our way back, we stopped in a rest area with some great historical markers. These commemorate the Great Platte River Road, one of the main routes west. You can actually see the depression from the wheels and hooves of all the settlers as they journeyed west. Pretty cool, actually, although Karen didn't share my enthusiasm.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Too pooped to pop. Ya think she had fun? :wink:

Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:05 pm

Wow, looks like you had a great vacation. :D :D
Jim
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Great pics Sandman! Looks like y'all had a great vacation.
Where is that baby's rib bone? :lol: :lol: :lol:
a stumpted toe hurts
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Looks like a good time. You could had at least brought that yellow truck back home for us! Looks like alot of good grub there. Didn't see you at the grill though!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Great times!
Brings back memories as I grew up in Nebraska and didn't leave until I was nearly 40 and that was some time ago too.
The abandoned farmsteads you see are largely the result of investment trends of the 1970s. Big inflation was happening and big money expecially big insurance companies knew that land was a great investment in inflationary times. They offered the farmers more money for the land than could possibly be made farming so they sold and big corporate farms were created. The corporate farms could work more efficiently than the little guy and big fish little fish syndrom happened. Good pheasant hunting up there.
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:51 pm

Rich777 wrote:Where is that baby's rib bone? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, bro. No ribs this trip. :( We drove straight through Kansas, but we were just focused on movin while the baby was :angel1: , cause when she was :angry5: . . . that was it for the day. :whiteflag:

:scratch: Y'know, I don't recall ever havin' ribs, or any general BBQ item, up there. We used to do a whole hog every year, but that was on a big rotis. No smokin' or other "normal" 'cue foods.

nascarchuck wrote:You could had at least brought that yellow truck back home for us! ... Didn't see you at the grill though!

My dad brought back a '48 Ford truck *mumble* years ago. Does that count?

Whadda ya think about this one? He's already got a propane tank in the back for the flames, so it wouldn't take much work to route that to a burner for some steaks. :wink:

As for the grill, I thought about tryin' to get in there, but I figured they knew the equipment better'n me, plus I was up there for a break, so I let them cook and I just milled around.

Papa Tom wrote:The abandoned farmsteads you see are largely the result of investment trends of the 1970s. ... The corporate farms could work more efficiently than the little guy and big fish little fish syndrom happened.

We've had some sell out, but mostly it's still family farms, at least where my family is. Most of the big corporate jobs are in the East, AFAIK. Most of the land sales I know of have been to Cabella's for their warehouses/mail centers or to feedlots for cattle. Unfortunately, that'll change real soon. Of my 6 first-cousins up there, only two are still in the area, and they don't farm. The others all moved away.

For the record, I asked my uncle if farmers are plantin' more corn for ethanol. His response: "Heck, yeah, and I'm one of 'em!" He said he normally plants "a circle to a circle and a half" of corn. This year he planted 3.5 circles. [A circle is around 120 acres, so he went from 180 acres of corn to 420 acres]
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:11 am

Looks like a great time !
Regards,
Scotty
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:22 am

Sure looks like a lot of good desserts!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:25 am

Hey Rob, nice trip report, thanks for posting!

I like the shot of everyone "ridin' coon-dog" in the truck.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Great pics thanks for sharing!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:42 pm

Hey Bro!
for some reason, I thought you were all going to see Karen's family. Looks like a great time! There is nothing like going home again, especially with good eats, prepared with lots of love! Nothing wrong with just sittin' back and enjoying it a bit! 8) You'll grill better on your own grill anyways!
P.S. What did you put in that poor baby's fruit cheerios?!! :lol:
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:24 pm

great pics! looks like everyone had a great time :D
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:43 pm

looks like a real nice relxing time let the others do the food you just injoy
looks like lots to enjoy too.
MELs We have you covered