Computer died over the weekend - Finally fixed

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Computer died over the weekend - Finally fixed

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:18 am

Howdy, y'all.

A quick note to say my computer went belly-up over the weekend. Right now I'm using work and friends' computers to keep up with email and forum traffic, but it's a pain in the backside. So if I don't answer right away, no worries.
Last edited by TX Sandman on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 am

What a bummer! :(
I wished you lived closer, my husband has enough spare parts around this house, he could set you up with a new one in no time!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:32 am

That sucks!!!

What wrong with it? I gotta small selection of parts...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:58 am

darn thing won't boot up, and the kids lost my system boot disk. :evil:

On Sunday the computer was up and running. I was getting into the shower when the power died. When I went back to boot it up a few hours later, it gave me the following message (paraphrased):

Windows can't boot up. This may be from new hardware or software
or from not being shut down normally. Select your option to boot up:

Safe mode
Safe with networking
Safe with command prompt
Use last working settings
Start Windows normally

Problem is, none of these work. It just keeps coming back to this screen. I know the hard drive has been getting noisy, so it may be from that going bad in a critical sector. But the comp is 6 years old and showing some stability problems, so it may just need cleaned out. Either way, I plan on getting it checked out by an expert, cause I have too many things on the drive I really need to save, and I can't afford a new system. At least, not easily. :evil:
Rob - TX Sandman

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:05 pm

Try this before you spend $$$ on diagnostics. Up plug every thing from the computer. Take the cover off. Carefully unplug the ribbon cable at the hard drive and reseat. Do the same where it plugs onto the system board. Unplug the pwr cable to the hard drive and reseat. Then attach the monitor, keyboard and mouse only. Reconnect the pwr cords and turn on. Put a finger on top of the hard drive and feel for vibrations. If it works, shut if off and reconnect all the toys. (put the cover back on). If it don't work....
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 pm

TX Sandman wrote:darn thing won't boot up, and the kids lost my system boot disk. :evil:

On Sunday the computer was up and running. I was getting into the shower when the power died. When I went back to boot it up a few hours later, it gave me the following message (paraphrased):

Windows can't boot up. This may be from new hardware or software
or from not being shut down normally. Select your option to boot up:

Safe mode
Safe with networking
Safe with command prompt
Use last working settings
Start Windows normally

Problem is, none of these work. It just keeps coming back to this screen. I know the hard drive has been getting noisy, so it may be from that going bad in a critical sector. But the comp is 6 years old and showing some stability problems, so it may just need cleaned out. Either way, I plan on getting it checked out by an expert, cause I have too many things on the drive I really need to save, and I can't afford a new system. At least, not easily. :evil:

What version of windows you running? I am using XP Home. Would I be able to make a boot up disk for you?
Chuck

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:18 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Try this before you spend $$$ on diagnostics.

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I'm at work right now, so it won't be until tonight before I can try this.

nascarchuck wrote:What version of windows you running? I am using XP Home. Would I be able to make a boot up disk for you?

I'm running XP Home, also. You might be able to make me a disk. I'm not sure if the disks are specific for each system, or generic, though. If Dave's ideas don't work, I'll be sure to let you know.

I didn't realize how much I was dependent on my comp until now. This as messed up some work items and side projects, not to mention the entertainment side of things.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:16 pm

I wish you luck. :D I have 3 different brands of computers running XP. You didn't say what brand you had. If I have a disk you need, just let me know. :D :D
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Dude, I've got a DELL! ( :oops: Sorry, couldn't resist.)

(And the crowd is heard: :roll: :evil: "Try harder!")

It's an Dimension 8400 desktop. It's had XP the whloe time, and I don't play with the hardware or software settings. I've never had serious problems until now, which is why I think it's related to getting old and wearing out.

Thanks for the disk offer.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Dimension 8300 here.

Let me know...
Chuck

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:29 am

Well, tried Dave's plan with no luck. I priced new towers, but no one could guarantee they'd work with my current printer and monitor, plus I'd still have all the lost data. And the price is way more than I can afford right now, at least to get a system that'll last another 6 years or so.

After much deliberation, I decided to get this one fixed. It'll still be a chunk of change, but it'll last until I can afford a new system.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:03 am

Run a Drive Fitness Test. That will let you know if there is physical damage, or memory errors (SMART) You may be able to recover the bad sectors *which what it sounds like to me*

If the drive is making noise like a clicking sound, that's not good. If it makes a repeating seek pattern, then it's probably sectors that are bad.

Open the case, and you may have to remove the hard drive to see what the Manufacturer is, then go to their website and look for drive utilites that will run the test. Here's one for Hitachi drives which are most common.
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

If it passes the test with no errors, then most likely the operating system is corrupt. If you have the Factory CD's you should be able to boot with those and reinstall. Some CD's have the option of a selective restore, which means you can keep your data like pics and spreadsheets, but not programs. If it doesn't have the option, it will format the drive and it'll be like the day you got it...so the first thing is to go to Microsoft Windows Update and get all the critical patches, update your anti-virus and firewall definition files.
Regards,
Scotty
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:02 am

Good luck Rob... Been there, done that. Sucks...

Let me know if you need anything. I have a couple of OLD computers laying around for parts.
Chuck

Return to “General Discussion”