What we do for a living?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

What we do for a living?

Postby OSD » Thu May 31, 2007 6:27 am

I thought it would be interesting to hear what we do for a living. :D I have found that BBQ forums are a very diverse group of people with the same common interest. :D It seems the BBQ bug can hit anybody. :lol: :lol:

Myself I own a custom woodworking business. Design and build custom kitchens, baths, trim or any other custom wood projects.
Jim
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Thu May 31, 2007 6:46 am

I work for a company that writes technical manuals, both paper and interactive electronic technical manuals (IETM). We also develop training material as well as teach training classes. I started off 8 years ago as a technical writer, then about 2 years ago I became the program manager.

I oversee two satellite communication programs for the military that we developed and are developing an IETM and training material for. Since I taught the training classes before becoming the program manager, I still go out and teach the course at different military installations.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu May 31, 2007 6:50 am

Our son is starting to get into working with wood and stuff, wants to do that on the side after he finishes fire academy and lands a FD job.

Myself, I work for a telecommunications equipment provider (Nortel). Should be going back to managing the installations across the country for optical equipment within the next month or so. It's what lets us do this!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Thu May 31, 2007 7:28 am

IT Technician for IBM's wafer Fab. Support multi-user windows (Citrix), Lotus Notes, and provide hardware/software support for office staff. Handle all IT Purchasing for business unit, and do negcon with vendors. Boring stuff actually.

Hobbies, are music. In the basement I have a small 8 track digital recording studio that I'm starting to get setup after a 7 yr break AKA kids... I play guitar, bass, keyboards, and program the drum machines.
Regards,
Scotty
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu May 31, 2007 7:33 am

I work for IBM too (hey Scotty). I am in software sales, I have a technical background in electronics and computer science.

I run a side business called SuckleBusters. Oh yeah, I run another side business called The Texas BBQ Forum! Both for fun, it surely aint the money. :lol:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Thu May 31, 2007 7:44 am

I've been in the bar business for ever..alot of years. Too many. Trying to get get back to my IT area. Don't hold it against me, but I managed/bartended a topless club for 5 yrs and have been in a country western club bartending for about 1/2 my life. LOL I've done other stuff here and there on the side in the slow months...worked for the carpenters union for about a yr but had to give it up. Too political. Thinking about going back for the millwright side of the union. I know more people there.
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Thu May 31, 2007 7:49 am

Well I wear many hats maid, chauffeur, cook, guidance counselor, motivational speaker oh what that's just my MOM job. LOL I'm a cattle/goat ranch first and for most I love being out doors but this job doesn't pay much at all. I also work as a substitute teacher, this has become my second love. With DH being first. I'm going back to school right now to get my Associates in teachers aide, not because I want to go full time but so I can be a better sub. And the best thing about being a sub at least for me is I get to sub in AG a lot so I get to combine both my loves into one. :D
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 am

I am a small business owner, my family began in 1978, Manna Health. I took over the business in 1998.

I work with about 4 health clubs in the area, about 30+ personal trainers and help sponsor the Gold's Classic which is a natural bodybuilding and figure competition each year.

For the past 5 years my main focus has been exclusively working with the Bariatric Center of Kansas City. I counsel post-op bariatrics (stomach by-pass, lap band) on nutrition. I do speak every few months at support groups for pre-op and post-op patients.

I'm not what you would call a 'health nut' and I don't hang around hippies, granolas or tree huggers. You can find plenty of those at the Wild Oats or Whole Foods stores, Dats I'm sure you've seen plenty there in Colorado home base of Wild Oats and those of you in the Austin area, home base of Whole Foods. I had my share of that in the late 70's and 80's when I was a kid growing up.

I do work out at the gym 3-4 days a week and work with a personal trainer 2 days a week generally to stay in shape so I can eat all the Q I cook!
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:03 pm

I was in I.T. in the pre- 9-11 and Eron period. BUT, now I am in the Boat business, we sell new and pre-owned boats. Can not beat the work uniform being shorts and flip flops. But the pull over shirts make for one heck of a farmers tan, WOW.
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:04 pm

:oops: mis-spelled Enron, sorry. :oops:
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu May 31, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm a Marine Piping Designer working for BIW (Bath Iron Works) here in Maine. Also teach 3D CAD to new hires. Part time seasonal business is DJ'S Texas Style BBQ here in Lewiston. One job is for $$, One is for Enjoyment......Neither Pays Enuf!!!!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Thu May 31, 2007 5:45 pm

well as most know I run a shop that makes covers for almost any thing I've wonted my own buss as long as I can remember and finely got it about 4 years ago full time anyway as they say be careful what you wish for.
sewing and designing has been something I have all ways loved to do so I turned a hobby in to living what more can I ask for.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 31, 2007 7:21 pm

Together with my wife I own a real estate brokerage company. Been doing this for a bit over 10 years. Prior to that I was mid to low level management in a regional business to business office equipment company. Served 4 years in the USMC 77-81, ROTC 82-84, COARNG 85 to 90 or 91, I forget. I can skin a buck and run a trout line but haven't done so in decades :shock: Been grilling since I was 16 but only got serious about real q about 3 years ago.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:08 pm

Part of a really nice electrical contractor company. Da boss and me have been twisting wires together for almost 27 yrs. Oil and Gas industry.
a stumpted toe hurts
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 31, 2007 8:15 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:I'm not what you would call a 'health nut' and I don't hang around hippies, granolas or tree huggers. You can find plenty of those at the Wild Oats or Whole Foods stores, Dats I'm sure you've seen plenty there in Colorado home base of Wild Oats

Wild Oats bought Alphafa's a few years back. The Peoples Republic of Boulder has more health food supermarkets than chain markets. And Safeway is moving at the speed of light to add Organics.

Tree huggers there are on the right of the political spectrum. Cops can't catch murderous perps but know how to write a parking ticket. The local newspaper is dubber the Daily Comrade. But as long as their money is green I'll help the good folks there buy/sell real property.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “General Discussion”