Coffee Makers

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Coffee Makers

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 pm

My Coffee make died and so its time to buy a new one. Before chucking out a c-note to replace it I thought I'd ask what y'all have and how you like it. The deceased is a Cusinart 12 cup model and was about 4 years old.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Rooster
Cowboy

Re: Coffee Makers

Postby Rooster » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 pm

i am of no help as my coffe make only comes out in cold weather and i dont know what brand it is! Too hot for coffee down here!
harry verdurchi USER_AVATAR
Harry Verdurchi
Rustler

Postby Harry Verdurchi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:08 pm

I got a New Kitchen Aid for Christmas .It has a clock ,pickel slicer ,smoke detector , CD player ,muti drip settings ,Timer , and a bunch of other Gizmos I have absolutely NO USE FOR. It has broke down three times and had to send it back cuz they said it was defective from factory .My thought was why the heck did they put it on the Shelf to start with if it was Defective from the start .Anyway I am going back to my old BUNN it works just fine and don't need all the auto timers ,soft settings , grain dribbler crap they got today . If you don't have time to Make a good pot of coffe and Smell it while its a brewing then why Drink it ?
I got First Place in Every Cook Off I ever Entered.
But the Judges most of the Time Gave the Prizes to Someone Else
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:21 pm

We have a Mr. Coffee with the thermal carafe that we've had for I'd guess 10 yr. The electronic clock/timer died after we got water in it but the "Brew" button still works fine. I'd buy another if this one died. I looked on Amazon and it appears the current similar models have the electronics up high out of the spill zone so that should be improved. I originally bought it because Consumer Reports consistently rated Mr. Coffee high and I was tired of burning the pot by forgetting to turn it off.
tarde venientibus ossa....
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 pm

We have three. And love all of them!

#1 Don’t recall the brand and it does not matter… the one that makes in an insulated carafe. It’s great, stays hot for hrs, does not “cook” as it does not set on the heat, and you can take the Carafe to the table and set it on the wood,,, as it’s not hot

#2 coffee press, I really love it if I want more then a cup, but not a pot, it’s my preference, so smooth.

#3, got one of the one cuppers, sure it’s $0.44 a cup, but if I’m only drinking a cup, then it’s cheaper then a pot… main thing, my wife is picky, and was hitting starbucks few times a week, this has nipped that completely, so I’m way ahead of her $4 with my .44 cups. It really is great, few different flavors and rock on.

Press is the winner,
Last edited by CJATE on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 am

I got an espresso machine this time, love it...no more Starbucks ($5 bucks) for me. Mines a Saeco Aroma, it uses pods.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:14 am

Gator wrote:I got an espresso machine this time, love it...no more Starbucks ($5 bucks) for me. Mines a Saeco Aroma, it uses pods.

I'm too old to drink hard-stuff anymore :lol: :wink: People go Starbucks :shock: :lol:

The coffee makers that use those round filters aren't on the list. It never seems to fail that the filter collapses and you end up with a counter top covered in coffee grounds and half brewed coffee. Usually when you are running short on time in the morning.

The one that died was a Cusinart 12 cupper with glass pot. I was cleaning it up and after a ran a pot of vinegar through it started smoking -bad electrical type smell. I unplugged. An hour later I tried running reg water through it. Warming plate gets hot, all the lights light up but no water is heated. I'm thinking the SS side plates might make a good pepper rack. :idea:

The Mrs has narrowed it down to:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Zojirushi+- ... Id=9391972

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cuisinart+- ... Id=9360808

Neither of which are available in-store :twisted: , but Amazon has free shipping (and no sales taxes) so I might be using the old camping drip pot for a few days.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:27 am

Have always gotten just a plain old Mr. Coffee 12 cup programmable coffee maker.
Has a clock/timer so it is ready when I get up in the morning. For right around $30 they are great.
Use mine every day and usually lasts several years. That is all I will buy.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:41 am

We also have a Cuisinart 12 cup, makes a great pot of cofee.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:23 pm

I have a pan of boiling water and a jar of instant!.... Some day I'll have some real coffee! 8) 8)
smokey lew USER_AVATAR
Smokey Lew
Cowboy

Postby Smokey Lew » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:55 pm

I've been using mine for more years than I can remember and it's never failed once. Makes great coffee, as well. :lol:
Smokey Lew
Riverside, California
WSM 22.5"
Weber Performer, black
Chaney Split Drum Grill
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:15 pm

We just use our ole BUNN that keeps
working year after year.
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 am

After buying expensive coffee makers that break down after a couple of years we started buying the $10 dollar makers from Family Dollar that'll break down in a couple of years. :roll:
bryanm USER_AVATAR
BryanM
Cowboy

Postby BryanM » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:47 pm

limey wrote:We also have a Cuisinart 12 cup, makes a great pot of cofee.

+1 we love ours
niget2002
Rustler

Postby niget2002 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm

We have more coffee makers than I care to admit to, but by far my favorite is the percolator:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 1&RN=2354&

I use a wall timer to have it come on in the morning if I need it to come on for me, but I don't drink coffee every morning.

The wife thinks it's too much trouble to clean, so she just uses the little cheap 4-cup one that I've had forever. I have no idea what the brand is. Not sure why she thinks it's hard to clean. All you do is rinse everything off and maybe use a little soap in it from time to time... I guess it's because the main part won't go in the dish washer.

If we're trying to impress guests, I'll break out the coffee press and bean grinder. This is definitely the best tasting, but it's a whole lot of work.

When we camp, we have a cheap percolator that I can set down on the fire... I'm not sure why, but lying next to a fire on a beach seems to make coffee taste real good too.

And if that wasn't enough, we're looking at getting one of the single-cup jobs. I can't seem to get the wife to understand that if she only needs 1 cup of coffee for her drive in to work, then only Brew ONE CUP OF COFFEE. She insists on filling up the entire 4-cup pot even though only half of it will fit in her mug. At least she remembers to turn it off before she leaves. :)

My problem is I worked in a coffee shop for too long, so I can sometimes be picky.

Out of the two she narrowed it down to, I'd get the Cuisinart.

Return to “General Discussion”