Knife Sharpening

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Knife Sharpening

Postby Big Mike » Thu May 17, 2007 12:28 pm

I am horrible at sharpening knives. I have a Steel as well as one of those little sharpeners you hold on the counter and draw the knife through but I can never seem to get a good sharp edge.

Anyone got some advice?
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu May 17, 2007 1:06 pm

I'm right there with you Mike! I have a steel that I try to use before each knive use. I'm never sure if I'm using it right, but it seems to help! I just don't want to ruin my good knives if I'm doing it wrong! I look forward to everyones answers!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 17, 2007 1:36 pm

This is going to sound vague but, how old are the knives? If you have used the knives and tried to sharpen them yourself and they are a couple yrs old they may need to be sent to someone who sharpens knives to have the right angle put back on the edge. Some knives have different angles on the edges, some are flat ground and some are hollow ground. All makes a big difference in getting it sharp. Some lesser quality knives were never really intended to be sharpened. I have ruined my share of knives trying to sharpen them. I send mine out once a year to have them dressed up. The rest of the time I use a good steel every time I use the knife. I checked around and found a restaurant supply that used a sharpening service for there customers. :D :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu May 17, 2007 1:55 pm

I can't sharpen knives either. I have tried various methods and sharpeners. I use a crock stick (the standard 2 stage) http://www.lansky.com/products/crock.html and it seems to work the best for me.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Thu May 17, 2007 2:42 pm

The knives aren't that old.

One is my 14" Forschner Slicer

Three are knives I bought on a trip to Japan. A Santoku, a Nakiri for chopping and a chefs type knife that has the ribs and holes.

The last one is my Rapala filet knife.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Mike, I think I would take those Japanese knives and the Forschner to someone and let them get the edges back to where they should be. :D Those Lansky systems are very good. :D See if you can find a sharpening service close to you. I use mine a lot and only have them dressed once a year. It would be a shame to ruin those great Japanese knives :D
Jim
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Thu May 17, 2007 3:01 pm

check this out it was on anouther forum they seam to like it

www.accusharp.com
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 17, 2007 6:09 pm

There is a knack to sharpening knives. For the most part I have cheap knives , mostly given to me. They go bad, here comes another gift package :lol: and the old ones get tossed. But, I am looking at getting some good ones soon.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:24 pm

I too use cheap knives, Old Hickory, etc. My method is to use an 8 inch flat file to sharpen them, then finish up with an 8 inch corborundum or Norton stone. (fine side)
This works for me for cutting meat. Of course for my trusty pocket knife I only use a fine stone and leather strap.
Stan
Try it on a cheap one and see how it works.

Return to “General Discussion”