How much you paying for gas?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue May 15, 2007 11:50 am

copkid wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:
copkid wrote:ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!
Gas prices just went to $3.40 a gallon here in Indy!! :x :x :x
Meanwhile, oil companies are reporting record profits! Imagine that! There is supposed to be a boycott of buying gas on Tuesday. (maybe next Tuesday?) I'm not sure of the exact date.

I get that email all of the time with different dates... :wink:

This day was on the news, so maybe it's more legit!

I doubt it!!! :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, in either case, I won't by gas on Tuesday. (I always buy on payday, Friday!)
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 15, 2007 12:10 pm

So what if every doesn't buy gas on a certain date :shock: Folks will just fill up the day before or the day after. If anything, the stations would close for a day and save labor costs.

An illustration. Liquors stores can't sell booze in this state on Sunday. Folks just buy their booze during the rest of the week. They sell the same amount of booze per week. It doesn't matter if they are closed one day.

Now if everyone rode a bicycle or walked one day a week, that would lower demand, thus increasing supply putting downward pressure on prices. I don't plan on doing either of them, I'll just have to make more money to pay for the high price gas.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue May 15, 2007 10:15 pm

Dave beat me to it. They talk about a boycott every year, but unless people cut their demand, it doesn't matter. They'll just buy that tank another day.

What I do each summer is set the cruise control to 60. I drive freeways mostly, and I found each tank lasts 10-15% longer that way.

I was saving 25-30% by not using the AC, since I was driving during the cooler parts of the day, but I was later informed that had an adverse effect on my deoderant.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue May 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Are you saying it was keeping your patients from falling asleep? :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol:
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue May 15, 2007 10:49 pm

:wink: Let's just say we get "up close and personal" while attaching the leads.

What really got me mad was I didn't realize it (wasn't like I was dripping sweat while driving), and no coworkers said anything to me. But apparently things were said *around* me.
Rob - TX Sandman

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue May 15, 2007 10:55 pm

That's not a nice way to find out. :shock: :oops: :oops:
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 15, 2007 11:02 pm

I hear that Michem lasts a week!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Tue May 15, 2007 11:46 pm

I doubt it, in DFW heat!

Might make a good advertising campaign for Michem, though. "Gas prices stink! But you don't have to!"

OK, we've officially gone from Big Oil to B.O.! How's *that* for topic drift!?!
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 16, 2007 5:48 am

:scratch: Some major league pitchers wish they could get that kind of drift movement in their pitches :shock: :lol: :lol:
I agree a one day boycott will not work. :roll: Only overall less consumption is going to make a difference. :dont:
Jim
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Wed May 16, 2007 7:53 am

gas price are higher now than they were after Katrina.
we are looking at electric cars but if you can afforded one of them you can afforded to buy gas :?
we are paying 3.20-3.40 here as well closer it gets to the weekend the higher it goes.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 16, 2007 9:10 am

Less demand or more supply. We can't drill off the coast of Kalifornia, Washington, Oregon or Florida to preserve the coast line. Can't drill in Alaska cause some 4 legged critter would be displaced deeper into the woods. Now there is a movement afoot to put the kabosh on drilling in Colorado cause of the critters.

Only solution is to make more money. Guess I'm lucky, as I write off most of the gas I use as a business expense.
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 17, 2007 6:15 am

Well, It was all over the news this morning, gas in Fl. has officially hit $3.00 per gallon average price. :evil: It's still about $2.92 here, but 50 miles away where I have been working it's $3.26. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri May 18, 2007 12:07 am

DATsBBQ wrote:Less demand or more supply.

I've heard it's not only supply of crude oil, but also refining capacity. The refiners are maxed out, and no one wants to build a refinery because of NIMBY* syndrome and also the companies are making a killing now. A new refinery would cut that profit.

*Not In My BackYard - "Sure, we need a new powerplant, but I don't want it near where *I* live!"
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen

Return to “General Discussion”