Spyware

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Spyware

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 03, 2007 9:10 am

Found this on the web. It's freeware, but donations great fully accepted.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html It's Spybot, Search and Destroy.

This program found 18 programs, one very nasty, on one computer and 32 other spywares on my other box. Both were running the lasted McAfee antivirus software at the time. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 03, 2007 9:51 am

Sounds like a good deal DATS. Be sure to run it from the safe mode on a hard reboot. Liable to find a few other things hitherto unknown if you aint been running it like that. Some of them pesky varmints reside in the memory and reloads themselves despite cleaning them out.

bigwheel
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 pm

S&D will detect TSR's and states that it will kill them on the next reboot. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries. Even in safe mode, it's sketchy.

I have many tools, but I'm hesitant to mention them...cuz if you don't know how to use em, that's a sure way to totally hose your system.

BTW, I'm an IT guy.

:lol:

Here's some simple, FREE effective ones that I'll recommend:

They all have different heuristic characteristics that they pick up on...so I recommend running them all at least every 2 weeks.

ALSO ... There are many programs that "CLAIM" to be the best solution to spyware/malware/adware....but some actually infect your system. A good check point is here.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Don't get suckered in by a pop up that looks like an official looking windows panel that says "Your Windows Registry is corrupt. Repair Now?" NO !!!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Scotty
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu May 03, 2007 5:11 pm

I use Adaware and Ewido. I highly recommend Ewido. Actually Ewido is now AVG Ainti Spyware.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 03, 2007 5:28 pm

I run the Spy-Bot and Ad-Aware programs about once a month. :D After what Scotty said maybe I should run them more often :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 04, 2007 9:23 am

Scotty Da Q wrote:S&D will detect TSR's and states that it will kill them on the next reboot. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries. Even in safe mode, it's sketchy.

I have many tools, but I'm hesitant to mention them...cuz if you don't know how to use em, that's a sure way to totally hose your system.

BTW, I'm an IT guy.

I was one of those before it was called IT. Back in the days of DOS and a 386 was King. Then I got into real estate. Tells you how old I am :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
3970010 USER_AVATAR
Wrangler

Postby 3970010 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:51 pm

I use ad aware. Its free and its been good to me.

Return to “General Discussion”